• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Scare of my life.

Hello everyone, first time poster here long time Crohn's patient.

Anyhow I lost my job in the beginning of 2012 and therefore my medical insurance. I thought no big deal, seeing as i have extensive experience in my field and thought I could get a new job quickly and resume my medical care and prescriptions. Wrong! The economy is rough out here.

Much of 2012 was without my meds, which was Asacol at the time. Around September I started getting new symptoms that many others have had, just not me until now. PAIN! holy cow it felt like I was being repeatedly stabbed in my belly. I started taking whatever medication I could scrounge up for pain like norco or percocet, because the pain I was experiencing was that bad. I was able to secure a job but sadly had to quit as with the pain and cramping, I simply couldn't make it to work. Also, when the pain started so came along the nausea, vomiting, and weight loss. Since September 2012, I have lost about 57 pounds, I am now down to a paltry 150 for my height of 6'.

Thankfully my lovely fiance has added me to her medical plan in January and i was able to resume my asacol and get pain support. In February i decided i needed a new Gastro doctor as i felt that my original doctor wasn't a good fit, so i got an appointment and went to see my new doc. He ordered an abdominal CT scan, the results came back a week later: significant inflammation was reported as noticed between a 2007 ct scan and the current one. I went in for another CT scan for my pelvic region on the 1st of this month. Now here is where things get interesting.

After the abdominal CT my doctor put me on a steroid that was new to me, Uceris, which is amazing and at this point has reduced my pain from a constant agony to a mild annoyance that sometimes did spike but is totally livable. So after I get the pelvic CT on the 1st, my fiance and I go up to South Lake Tahoe over the weekend to visit family and scout out possible wedding locations, and since I was on the Uceris I was having minimal pain and was happy as a clam, so to speak.

We came back Monday and I waited till Wednesday to hear from my doctor, which I had not, at which point I call in to get the results of the CT or make a follow up appointment. The nurse/receptionist tells me the CT didn't show anything new, which is naturally something I'm happy about. However, I get a call directly from my doctor 30 minutes later telling me it looks as though I have two perforations in my colon and that I need to go to the ER right away, and that I will likely need a partial resection or full resection of my bowels. I'm 27 y/o btw. Naturally I'm in a state of shock. So I do something, that now I realize was of course a bad call considering the implications of peritonitis, I tell the doctor that I want one more night at home seeing as at that point I was looking at a lengthy hospital stay. He fights back but it is in vain because I can be VERY stubborn. So I get my night at home which is filled with a family conference with my loved ones, with many tears involved, followed by a nice dinner with my fiance and a quiet evening of planning for this new possibly catastrophic (imo for me at least) experience.

The next day I check myself into the ER and am admitted right away with less then a 10 minute wait, as my doctor has notified everyone and I find myself in a bed wearing a gown with IV fluids and heavy duty antibiotics. I meet with many doctors overseeing my case, and a surgeon who is very nice and apparently from everyone I spoke to in the hospital is the best in his field for gastro type procedures. He tells me many things I cant remember in my state of shock, but it boils down to resection or partial if I'm lucky as they wont know until my new CT scans come in. I cant exactly describe my emotions at this point other then shock,trepidation, and a certain stoic acceptance of what is to come and how drastically my life is going to change at this point.

My surgeon returns a few hours later bearing some of the BEST news i have ever received in my life (other then the love of my life saying yes of course). It was all a mistake, the previous CT scan had been interpreted wrong because of the way my intestines were sitting inside me, thus resulting in shadowing. I almost cried I was so happy. Turns out that I do have Terminal Ileitis in addition to my now pretty bad Crohn's and I will of course, as I already knew, need surgery eventually but it wasn't on the table as of this time. I'm ecstatic as I am discharged and I make it home before my girlfriend gets off work to head over and visit me at the hospital, so I surprise her with the good news. As of right now I'm on Cipro, Metronidazol, Uceris, Norco for pain and I'm waiting for my Humira script to be filled for the first time (not happy about injecting myself, but anything that gets me remission hopefully is worth it). And most importantly I am at home with my fiance and my pets and happy to be so.

For those of you who read this thank you for taking the time, and I apologize for my bad punctuation, grammar and everything else but writing this has been a bit of a catharsis and has made me feel that much better. I wanted to relate my story as i am sure many of you have been though much the same.

Last edited:

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Wow! Very glad to hear they took another look and found the mistake befoe putting you under! ...

What a nice surprice your finace will have to find you home.....hope she stops there before heading to the hospital to see you :)

Welcome to the forum, please do have a good look around - there is a humira support forum that you may want to check out too.

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Wow, what a roller coaster of events you have just been through! I am glad to hear that you have not had to have an op and have been able to return home. Fingers crossed with the new meds you will soon be feeling much better. We do have a Humira sub forum that is worth checking out to have a chat with the folks here about being on this: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59. Out of interest have you been advised at all on any dietary changes? Have you had your vitamin levels checked and when are you next due to see your GI for a check up on things?

Wishing you all the best.

AB
xx

Astra

Hiya scout
and welcome

PHEW!! That was a close call!
Good luck with the Humira, I started it 4 weeks ago, so fingers crossed for both of us!
Joan xx

thanks everyone :) and yes roller coaster indeed, she was shocked when i opened the door to welcome her home it was pretty awesome yet sneaky on my behalf. Next appt is 2 weeks and i should hear from the pharmacy any day for my delivery and will definitely be reading the thread on Humira. Not sure about my vitamin levels my doc didn't mention anything abnormal from my bloodwork but i will look into that.

Hi Scout! Welcome to the forum. I'm so glad you were able to escape a resection! It's a pretty serious mistake the radiologist made. I was wondering how you were able to walk around with a perforated bowel for so long! :)

I hope the Humira works quickly. It's very easy to inject yourself with the spring-loaded pens so definitely don't worry about that!

I'm glad that you're able to look at things in such a positive way. Good luck with the Humira, hopefully it gets you back on track and back to your normal day to day!

normal is relative of course but i will take what i can get! and yes hoping the humira helps out just not looking forward to the front load initial dosing.

Going home was an insane decision. Totally insane. Anyone who reads this who experiences a perforated bowel - If the hospital say you need an emergency operation then stay there and get your operation! Lucky for the poster that it was a false alarm.

What a rollar coaster! Do ask your GI about your vitamin levels & supplement accordingly. That is just as important to achieving & maintaining remission as Humira.