• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Bright red blood in toilet?

The only time I've ever seen blood in my stool was when I was really sick years ago and it was black.

Today I just went and I have a habit of looking at my stool after I go and it looked fine light brown and normal. Well anyways I got caught up reading a story in the paper so I sat on the toilet for another 5 mins. When I went to wipe I noticed the water was red. I wiped and saw bright red blood on the tissue.

Is this something crohn's related or just a hemorrhoid? I just got blood work 2 days ago for the first time in 6 months and everything was great (crp normal and blood counts the best they've been since diagnosed 7 years ago). I have no idea what to look for when the blood is crohn's related or not.

Trysha

Staff member
Presence of blood is never normal.
It should be reported to your doctors.
It may be something easily dealt with by the docs, such as hemorrhoid
but needs checking out by them
Hugs and best wishes
Trysha

It is good your blood work came back normal.

Call and get another appointment soon.
That was our daughters first symptom, and her crohns is in the sigmoid,rectal area.

You just need to know for sure and get a hold of it quickly.

You can become anemic rather quickly, so we start our daughter on iron right away. Best to check with GI.

might be a good idea to start eating a low residue diet again.

If it is Crohns, in that area, the Cortifoam stops the inflammation over night.
wish you the best. As you know, it is really important to get it checked out again asap.

Last edited:
Sudden onset without history is worth getting checked out. I had small traces of this over a four year period, and was continually having difficulty with my blood levels. The good news is that it will be easier to find with a recent reference.

I had same saturday night and sunday, pale face, sweat and cold and crohns pain also across below stomach, took myself to hospital. A&E suggest it pile again have small.

I am current on steriods again back 40 mg after drop to 35 mg from thursday gone. Due see crohns nurse on thrusday.

Get your doc to write up a fecal calprotein test, if that comes up within norm ranges its likely hemmeroids, if theres lots of inflamation it's likely crohn's. Only way to know is to test! Good luck

I suspect it is probably a pile that was 'caught' when you passed the stool, then bled enough to colour the water while you were reading. It doesn't take much blood to turn water pretty red.

I have colonic Crohn's and my symptoms were very like those of UC, and passing fresh blood was the main one, but then there was always signs of blood amongst the stool itself, as well as the bleeding caused by passing it. The blood was bright red as it was mainly from the transverse colon onwards.

I still reckon you ought to get it checked out though, and at least then you can put your mind at rest, or get the treatment it may need.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I was bleeding bright red blood and a lot of it from my terminal ileum. As mentioned blood is never a good sign and the cause should be ruled out by your GI. Hope you got in touch with your GI Grey Hawk and keep us posted. :)

I have had crohn's for 16 years and so far have managed fairly well with medications. Recently I am experiencing a mass of pus/mucus when starting to pass a stool and a little bright red bleeding. My stool is very thin and narrow, and lots of pain in lower abdomen. Could I have an abscess in the rectum, and what to do about it? Any advice out there please.

kiny

I have been told that bright red blood is not normally as serious as a darker blood in the stool. I am not sure how true that is but here is a link about blood in reference to stool and/or bowel movements

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/disorders/rectal-bleeding/hic-understanding-rectal-bleeding.aspx
I will disagree with that link as I myself have bled from the terminal ileum, confirmed by colonoscopy from the ileum, it was not dark red or marroon or darker red, it was bright red.

I have seen many people on this forum say they bled from the small intestine and it was bright red, not dark.

The idea that bright red blood indicates that it's from the colon is a myth.

I have had crohn's for 16 years and so far have managed fairly well with medications. Recently I am experiencing a mass of pus/mucus when starting to pass a stool and a little bright red bleeding. My stool is very thin and narrow, and lots of pain in lower abdomen. Could I have an abscess in the rectum, and what to do about it? Any advice out there please.
Hi Lindy Lou. A very long narrow stool could be a sign of stricturing. Please get it checked out.
Also Mucus or overproduction of mucus I was told way back is a sign of active Crohns.
I'm getting a lot of mucus @ the moment as well.
Anyhow I hope this helps.
Grant

Thanks Grant, you seem to have had lots of procedures over the years and lots of medication. I am currently on pred & methotrexate and weekly injections of Humira, my main concern is fatigue as well as the pain. I can sleep for hours in the day and still feel tired. What a horrible disease this is, but must keep going, it could be worse!