• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Dealing with blockage

Hello everyone. I am new to this site and have put off joining a forum since I was diagnosed with Crohn's 5 years ago. I now feel I need the support of others suffering from this disease instead of going it alone. I am 59 years old and I am a single mother with 6 children, 5 of whom I have adopted. I didn't have this disease at the time of the adoptions which took place 10 years ago. I now understand how important it is to get support from other people because I have so many unanswered questions and concerns. One of them being blockage. I had a bowel resection 2 years ago and have since returned to the Hospital on 5 different occasions for partial to full obstructions. On my last visit to the hospital I was told I have a small hernia near the incision site. I had it for some time but this was the 1st time they mentioned it even though they were aware I had it on previous hospital stays. They said that because it doesn't bother me I shouldn't worry about it. This morning I read something that said hernias can cause bowel obstructions. Has anyone had this problem? I am concerned that it is the hernia causing the several obstructions I've had. Thank you for your time in reading my post.

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

I myself do not know about hernia's causing bowel obstructions specifically but my husband has had three that all needed to be operated on as these don't sort themselves and will only get worse left 'untreated'..... Out of interest what causes the obstructions, scar tissue or inflammation? What meds are you on for your crohn's and have any type of dietary changes ever been dicussed to help combat these?

AB
xx

I've been told it was due to inflammation that causes the obstructions, but the obstruction is always in the area of the hernia. I am currently on Humira and was on Predisone and Antibiotics after being treated in the hospital. I have been eating smaller, lighter meals and as of this morning I put myself on a liquid diet because the symptoms are coming back. Constipation and bloating but no real pain or nausea as yet. The Hernia is located right above my navel (same place the obstructions occur) and is pretty obvious right now.
Thank you for replying.

Angrybird

How long have you been on the Humira and when are you next due to see your GI doc? It seems to me that your current treatment regime is not keeping things settled so perhaps an alternative needs to be looked into - what meds have you been on previously?

I have been on Humira for 1 1/2 months now. I am taking 40mg shots every other week. I am not scheduled to see my GI for another 2 months. I use to take Asacol and when I had flare ups he would prescribe Predisone and antibiotics. I also take other meds for other medical conditions that I have such as Arthritis, Graves disease, COPD, Gastritis, Acid reflux, Degenerated disc disease and spurs in my back. (I know, I'm a mess). After my bowel resection I was sent home and a week later followed up with the surgeon and my GI who told me I would not have to see him again for another 6 months and would only need a colonoscopy every 3 years. I was back in to see him within a few months because of flare ups and shortly after that I was hospitalized for a complete bowel obstruction. I have been in and out of the hospital within the last two years five times for obstructions. I was only told about the hernia on my last visit to the hospital but it had shown up on xrays and CT scans at the beginning, shortly after the surgery. The emergency room doctor told me about it not my GI. I mentioned the hernia to my GI on my last visit a few weeks ago and asked him if that could have anything to do with the blockages and he said it doesn't and that I shouldn't worry about the hernia at all. He said I have to eat smaller lighter meals which I already have been doing for quite some time now. I eat healthy and stay away from foods that trigger flare ups. I am not very happy with my GI and really never have been but he is the only one in town that accepts my Health Insurance. The nearest one other than him is an hour away from where I live.
I am sorry that I am going on and on about this but I am very frustrated and was hoping someone on this forum could shed some light on all of this. Again, thank you for replying. I appreciate your time and input more than you know.