• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Recently Introduced to Crohn's Disease

Hello,

My nephew was recently diagnosed with Crohn's. He is 13 years old and is doing okay as of now. He was diagnosed a few weeks ago after having some testing done. We are new to this although we do have a family history. Because he is the youngest family member to be diagnosed, we don't know exactly what to tell him. His father has Crohn's, but wasn't diagnosed until he was grown. Please offer any feedback regarding how we can help him.

nogutsnoglory

Sorry to hear about your nephew. Have the doctors decided on a treatment approach?

The new prevailing wisdom is to try a top down approach where they use the most aggressive medications first to try to induce remission. One thing that needs to be taken into account with a pediatric GI is growth. Crohns as a disease as well as some of these medications can stunt growth.

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I am sorry to hear about your nephew's diagnosis, I was also wondering what treatment regime he has been put on to settle things? You may also find it helpful to look at our parents forum, there is a wonderful group of mums and dads here to have a chat with who can offer advice and support as well: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49.

Sending lots of hugs and best wishes to you and your family.

AB
xx