Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » New member but with a long standing disease

03-20-2013, 01:50 AM   #1
drmallik

New member but with a long standing disease

Hi,
I am a medical doctor, doing general practice and family medicine. I have been suffering from crohns disease since 1981 but diagnosed correctly in 1991, by Dr Kakarla Subbarao, reputed radiologist from the barium meal follow through. There was skepticism about the diagnosis as there was little awareness about it even in the medical fraternity. I took Prednisolone tablets with excellent remission but the disease used to recur at regular intervals. Finally things have come to such a pass that I had to undergo ileo ceacal resection(removal of the entire third part of small intestine along with first part of large intestine) in 2001. Next year i had TB infection of the right lung rising doubts about the diagnosis of crohn's. After completing the full course of 1 year anti TB drugs, i seem to recover but I had a relapse in 2003. I used azathiprine tab. and I got relief. After 10 years, I got a relapse again and this time, I was advised to start AZT again and continue lifelong.
03-20-2013, 02:42 AM   #2
David
Co-Founder

HI drmallik and welcome to the community. I'm sorry to hear of your struggles.

Since going back on azathioprine have your symptoms improved?

With removal of 1/3 of your ileum, I wonder about your vitamin b12 and magnesium status. Do you monitor them?

All my best to you.
03-20-2013, 04:08 AM   #3
drmallik

Thank you Mr David,
Oh! Yes. Things definitely improved with AZT. For the last 12 years I had been taking monthly injections of Methyl cobalamine. I did not get the B12 levels done because it is not available here.
Thank you very much
03-20-2013, 05:20 AM   #4
shalinico

Hi Dr. Mallik, welcome to the community.....you have joined the right place and am sure you will get the support and guidance u r looking for....

Which gastro doctor u r consultng with? Is he sure that only azathioprine would suffice? As u r a doctor am sure u wud have monitored ur blood counts.....consult with ur doctor if u need to take any vit. Spplements
03-20-2013, 06:00 AM   #5
drmallik

Dear Shalini,
Thanks. I was operated by Dr R Pradeep of Apollo Saumya hospital, Vijayawada. He now moved to Asian institute of gastro enterology, Hyderabad. I am in regular contact and follow his advice. The blood counts are within normal range.
05-14-2013, 02:51 AM   #6
drmallik

Of late I have been suffering from pains above and below knee joints more of muscle weakness type. Does Azathioprine causes Myopathy? I could not get much of useful info over web. What are the remedies?

Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » New member but with a long standing disease