Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Crohnies with Diabetes Support Group

11-04-2015, 06:51 AM   #181
ron50

My Support Groups:
Good luck with the eyes Doug, they are the area that worries me the most. What concerns me is how long we have been insulin resistant before we were finally dxed with type two and how much damage has high blood insulin been causing in that time. I seem to have some problems like hammer toes and severe neuropathy that have been there for a lot longer than the supposed onset of my type two diabetes. ron.
11-05-2015, 05:42 PM   #182
DougUte

My Support Groups:
Good luck with the eyes Doug, they are the area that worries me the most. What concerns me is how long we have been insulin resistant before we were finally dxed with type two and how much damage has high blood insulin been causing in that time. I seem to have some problems like hammer toes and severe neuropathy that have been there for a lot longer than the supposed onset of my type two diabetes. ron.
The eyes are really giving me problems. When I wear my glasses, which is most of the time, I now find I cannot see clearly at distance unless i look through my bifocal. My right eye is much worse than the left, (neither are good right now). I don't think it is iritis because I don't have the eye pain or sensitivity to light. I definitely have the blurry vision though, and I am sure my opthamologist will check for it, because I have Crohn's.

Crohns Medicines:
Started Humira June 22nd, 2011
Increased to weekly injections on November 1st, 2016
Due to the insurance company, Humira ended on January 31, 2017.
Started Entyvio February 9th, 2017
Loperamide 3 capsules twice a day
Vitamin B6, B12, Folic Acid
Vitamin D3 10000 I.U.
Nature Made Multivitamin
11-05-2015, 08:29 PM   #183
Catherine

My Support Groups:
Most eye problems related to diabetes are treatable as long as they caught early.

DH has had both eye operated on due to bleeding.
Small bowel to small bowel fistula

Meds: ), azathioprine 200mg, Mesalazine 1.2g x 2, seretide 250 x 2 (asthma), ventolin (as needed)

Currently no supplements.

Has previously taken Multi B, Caltrate, B12 & Iron

Prednisolone (from 30 mg 01/02/2012 to 17/06/2012, 30mg 24/10/12-28/12/12, 50mg 24/1/13-27/4/13)
11-05-2015, 10:10 PM   #184
SandyUte

My Support Groups:
Well, I decided to join this thread, tho not the one with an IBD (but sometimes I wonder), just IBS (and many other ailments). After several months of nausea in addition to my IBS/D, which seemed to be getting worse, I saw our GI yesterday (shared with my crohnie hubby, DougUte) only to find out that diabetes can not only cause nerve problems in the periphery, but also in the small intestines. This can, in turn, leave things sitting there too long which can cause infections, that can also, in turn, sit in there for months. Just what all you IBDers with diabetes really want to know, huh? (NOT!) I'm now being put on Flagyl to treat any underlying infection. I don't know about all of you, but I'm tired of dealing with intestinal issues, and I don't even have an IBD. I'm also tired of taking meds, all these chemicals I put in my body can't be good for the kidneys and liver. Grrr. Just had to gripe.
11-06-2015, 01:23 AM   #185
fuzzy butterfly
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Sandy love n hugs to you both. I hate the meds side too. Hardly ever took one before crohns now i rattle with them..💕💋
11-23-2015, 01:59 PM   #186
DougUte

My Support Groups:
My vision problems will get better in a few days! With new glasses! My opthamologist determined that I do not have diabetic retinopathy. (YAY!)

Since my blood gloucose levels have bottomed out, he gave me a new prescription for glasses. I should have them is a few days.
11-23-2015, 04:24 PM   #187
ron50

My Support Groups:
I am glad to hear it Doug , no eye problems and lowering bg is good. Way to go. Ron
saw my endo chronologist yesterday. No good news he does not know why my testosterone is low and he really is not sure if hormone shots are the way to go. He has warned me that if I go that road , two more three monthly shots and there is no return. I will be on them for life. He has left it entirely up to me which really sucks ,,,what the hell do I know. I suggested that perhaps I should wait another eight months, that will be twelve months since my last hormone blood test and have another test to see what my levels are.. He said that everything about my health seems to point to auto-immune problems and he said that there really are not many experts in the auto-immune field. It's all about I think and lets try. I asked him if he would consider giving me a shot of he green stuff they give old dogs. He just smiled and said he is a Hindu and it is against his religion... Ron.
11-23-2015, 05:42 PM   #188
fuzzy butterfly
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
My vision problems will get better in a few days! With new glasses! My opthamologist determined that I do not have diabetic retinopathy. (YAY!)

Since my blood gloucose levels have bottomed out, he gave me a new prescription for glasses. I should have them is a few days.
Yay!!! DOUG so glad to hear that mate. Heres to the new specs doing the job. 👍💕
11-23-2015, 05:45 PM   #189
fuzzy butterfly
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Oh Ron what a bugger pal. I thought docs were supposed to make the decisions ??. You may well be right on your thinking tho, and NO you CANT have the green stuff Ron. Its not allowed coz we need you here mate 💕
11-24-2015, 11:51 AM   #190
scottsma

My Support Groups:
Just read in the daily paper that a handful of walnuts daily can be helpful in keeping diabetes at bay.(I'm borderline)So I'm going to stock up tomorrow..........I like nuts,this forum has more than it's fair share.
I apologise to those of you who regard themselves as sane.
11-24-2015, 12:56 PM   #191
fuzzy butterfly
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Carol if anyone here does.. they need help fast 😂
11-24-2015, 04:09 PM   #192
ron50

My Support Groups:
Not true girls. For seventeen years all those crazy doctors have been trying to kill me. It is only the sane influence of you guys that has saved me or as carol said we all need a handful of nuts every day. Ron.
11-24-2015, 04:11 PM   #193
fuzzy butterfly
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Maybe its the nuts that keep us going Ron 😃
11-24-2015, 04:22 PM   #194
ron50

My Support Groups:
Undoubtedly so Mandy, Hugs Ron.
11-24-2015, 04:24 PM   #195
fuzzy butterfly
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hugs back at you love 💞
11-24-2015, 05:39 PM   #196
DougUte

My Support Groups:
Walnuts. Hmm.
06-28-2016, 12:25 AM   #197
DougUte

My Support Groups:
Hi! Where is everyone? About 2 months ago I was put on Budesonide to stop a flare. Since then my blood sugar has raised quite a bit. This morning my fasting blood sugar was 197, and that has happened quite often. Today I found on the internet that diabetics should not take budesonide. Could that med be causing my blood sugar spikes?
06-28-2016, 02:16 AM   #198
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
Yes, I would say that most likely it does spike it. Here is some info I found on prednisone. Being a common steriod, I would think budesonide would be the same. I hope this helps.

http://www.copdsupport.ie/copd-suppo...isone-steroids

Current Meds:
Pentasa 1000mg 2xday or Mesalamine DR 1.2gm 2xday, Canasa Suppositories (when needed) 1000mg 1xday, Tylenol 3 with codeine 300-30mg (when needed)

Non-Meds:
600+D Calcium 2xday, Multivitamin, 65mg Iron 1xday, Fish Oil 1000mg, Vitamin D3 5,000 I.U., Eye Drops 2xday

UP Support Group http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=68350
06-28-2016, 05:14 AM   #199
scottsma

My Support Groups:
Walnuts. Hmm.
I posted the walnut theory last year,and every day since have had a small handful.At my annual check-up my level was back to normal.Walnuts are well documented to aid diabetes....I have lost weight though,so maybe that was also a factor.
08-17-2016, 11:36 PM   #200
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
Every year we have to go through certain tests before signing up for the next years medical insurance. One of the tests are blood sugar. I happened to look at my past tests and saw that my blood sugar counts have always been fairly high. But, last year once I started taking metformin and stopped eating sugary items my test was lower than it ever had been.
08-18-2016, 02:27 AM   #201
ron50

My Support Groups:
I had a serious run in with Oedeema a couple of months back. My neph checked me and said the fluid was nearly up to mid thigh and my lungs were also filling.. He did an echo of my heart , some leaky valves but not congestive heart failure . He did echos of my liver pancreas and kidneys. No nasties and no ascites. My protein loss and nephrotic syndrome is being held in check by cyclosporine , He asked me to take 5mg daily of prednisone till further notice. My liver functions that were in the red returned to the black and I was controlling my oedema with double diuretics and a litre a day fluid restrictions.. I took myself off the pred last week. By our method in Australia bs of 5.8 is normal . Mine suddenly shot up into the 10-15 range. I was not eating anything naughty and was still taking my 1000 mg of metformin a day. Prednisone is my kryptonite. I am going to have words with my neph when I next see him , he should know better , long term high dose pred is what tipped me in to type diabetes at the start. Ron.
08-18-2016, 07:17 AM   #202
Catherine

My Support Groups:
Sorry to hear Ron. Is medformin your only med . 15 doesn't sound good.
08-18-2016, 08:39 AM   #203
ron50

My Support Groups:
Yes Catherine I have been on it for several years. two weeks before he put me on pred and he stressed it was a low dose of 5mg my blood sugars had been down as low as 5.7 and 5.8 . He proved his point with the pred . He suspects that I have at least mild and perhaps moderate auto-immune hepatitis. All but one of my liver functions dropped from the red into the black. I am being super careful with what I eat but it has taken weeks to get it below 8 . I finally got to 7.9 this morning. They did a history blood test last week . I will see next week if it has risen at all. I hate steroids , even the asthma preventative puts my sugars up. Ron.PS they still have no idea what is causing the oedema.
08-22-2016, 05:42 PM   #204
DougUte

My Support Groups:
I am having the worst flare since my surgery in 2010. Becuase I voiced concerns over going on Budesonide because it raises my blood sugar levels, I was put on Flagyl not very long ago. It has now run its course and did nothing for my flare. So today I get to start Budesonide again. Last time Budesonide caused problems for my diabetes. I have been controlling my Blood Sugar levels by diet. Should I see my GP and see about going on metformin or some other med?
08-23-2016, 02:38 AM   #205
ron50

My Support Groups:
It seems to work well Doug. There don't seem to be many side effects tho some people suffer an upset stomach. If meds effect me any place it is certainly my digestive tract and I have had no problems with metformin. I really don't think that any steroid and diabetes go togeather. Ron.
09-06-2016, 04:25 PM   #206
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
On Thursday I had my yearly check up and they took my blood to check my sugar. The results came back and they called me on Sunday with the results. My A1C was in the 50's! They pulled me off the Metformin and told me that I'm not Diabetic. Haven't adjusted my signature yet, but thought you guys might like to know.

Now pending my favorite test to go through...Colonoscopy. Yuk!!!
09-07-2016, 01:19 AM   #207
DougUte

My Support Groups:
I did call my GP and he prescribed Glymperide. He did not prescribe metformin because it can trigger GI issues. The course corresponds to my 3 month course of budesonide. The blood sugar is under decent control.
09-07-2016, 01:51 AM   #208
ron50

My Support Groups:
The prednisone tho no longer being taken is still causing problems with my sugar. last week I did a day of tests. I take 500 mg of metformin at breakfast and dinner. At 6.30 am my fasting reading was 150. Two hours later it was 201. At three hours it was 184. At five hours it was 134. After dinner it was 192 and my last reading three hours after dinner it was 144. Fasting the next morning was around 140. I also did a 24 hr fast just drinking water. My last meal was at 7.30 pm on 1/09. I took 500 mg of metformin controlled release at 10.30pm 1/09. I took 500 mg of metformin at 8.50 am 2/09. My fasting level at 8.30 am 2/9 was 156 at 10.50 am fasting still 135. At 12.50 pm still fasting 119. At 2.50 pm 107 at 4.50 pm 102 , 6.50 pm 102. 7.30 pm 102. So it took two metformin to go from 156 down to 102 with no food at all .My a1.c is 117. I don't understand that because my all day test eating low gi food never got below 134 so I have no idea where the 117 comes from. I read up on the a1c test and they said that kidney and liver problems could give in correct results.. When I see my gp next I will ask to have a glucose tolerance test, I haven't had one for around 18 years... Ron.
09-09-2016, 08:09 AM   #209
Catherine

My Support Groups:
We are still working on DH glucose levels. Now getting some 3.8's, having to eat in to get levels up before bed.

Here is no rhyme or reason.
09-09-2016, 12:30 PM   #210
SandyUte

My Support Groups:
Catherine, illness can affect levels also (as can other things). You might want to start keeping a diary of not only levels, but exercise, what you ate and when, and even sleep and how you feel day to day. It's a pain, I know, but I found my mixed levels were greatly affected by how I felt, illnesses at the time, when my levels fluctuated. Also, many meds, incl. over the counter, can greatly affect levels, esp. steroids. I hope this can give you some answers.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Crohnies with Diabetes Support Group