• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New here. My 1 year old just diagnosed with Crohns

Hey. Since symptoms first started (almost 4 months ago) I have been researching possible bowel diagnosis's, I still haven't heard of anyone being diagnosed with Crohns as young as my daughter. The doctor confirmed Crohns Disease after blood markers and EGD/Colonoscopy biopsies came back positive. Anyone else here diagnosed this young? Thanks

There are several that have young kids with CD, they may have not been dx'ed as quickly but were showing symptoms that early on. I am going to tag the ones I can think of there is Farmwife and polly13. I know there are more and some will be along shortly I am sure.

I am so sorry to hear that your baby was dx'ed so young, I hope they are able to get her into remission quickly!!

KWalker

Lustforlife is correct. I was diagnosed when I was just two years old. The doctors originally thought I was lactose intolerant but more tests determined it was crohns. As much as nobody wants crohns I'm actually thankful to be diagnosed so young because this is normal for me now. I'll be 23 tomorrow actually, and have grown up with crohns so this is all I know. I couldn't imagine living a normal life for 40 years and then all of a sudden being hit with crohns.

I've had a few obstacles throughout my time but I've never had a major surgery and I consider myself really healthy now even though my crohn's isn't technically in remission. I definitely think you can feel well even if your crohn's isn't in remission and that's all that matters.

Jim (POPS)

Jim (Pops)
Thank you for your post. I found out I had crohns at age 61.

When ever I read about kids having crohns it breaks my heart, part because I'm getting older and wish I could do something for them, I would give my life for a cure for the children, and part because I wish I could hold there parents hand and tell them "It's going to be OK". because it will be, just belive.

I pray your child will be in remission and stay there. Keep your head up, there are alot of eople here that will help you and your family through this. :hug:

Hi and welcome. I'm so sorry you little one has this.
As Clash said Grace has shown signs early on. She was just dx with Colitis. To early to tell if it's Crohn's or UC. My Grace also suffers from other things but has been ill since birth. Our blessing is she has always been happy and a smile on her face. Which is why it took YEARS of fighting to get where we are today.

Can I ask what symptoms your baby had/has?
What will her meds be?

Hugs, I know first hand how hard this is but you ave started down the path to get her better and she will.

Thank you all for the well wishes. My baby,Cami, was diagnosed last week. For the last several months she has had chronic diarrhea, mucousy bloody stools, undigested food in stools, anemia and initially weight loss. When she was at her sickest she lost down from the 50th percentile in weight down to 15%. She had tons of blood work and stool studies prior to the EGD and Colonoscopy. Her blood markers and biopsies from the scopes were positive for Crohns Disease. She has significant inflammation in her stomach and rectum. Her doctor has started her on Pentasa and Prevacid. The Pentasa has been brutle on her little body. After the first dose she had horrible stomach cramps and explosive diarrhea (I think I changed 15 diapers, many bed linens and clothes). I called the doctor and he said to hold it until tonight and restart with a half dose. I hope we have better results tonight. Thanks again. This site has been very informative and also very scary : /. It's defiantly not what I want for my baby. I just keep reminding myself that there are MANY people who live through much worse.

Oh my, you poor things. Really hope she settles down with her meds, it must be heartbreaking with such a small baby that you can't explain things to.

You have definitely come to the right place for advice and support (((HUGS)))

:ghug:

Hi April12x2. So sorry you and your baby are going thru this. I hope things get better soon, and that you find support in this forum. Best wishes.

I am so sorry your little girl is suffering. I hope she gets well very quickly. it is not a fun disease to deal with. and I'm 35 !!! been sick for 18+ years and it has been very difficult.

Hi April and welcome
My Lucy is 3 and has been not long diagnoised
With crohns, but showed signs from a very
Early age.
You will find a few of us with young children
On here, there is a lot of support, advice and
Information but most of all you will meet new
Friends who are going though the same x x