• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Struggling to support myself

Im 25 years old and i live alone. For the past few years i have lived with my partner and managed really well supporting my self with bills and everything else you have to do to run a house.
But 5 months ago my partner walked out on me and i got ill due to stress, then because of this i lost my job.
Now im behind with all my bills, trying to sort them stresses me out then i end up ill again.
I currently get 20% of my rent paid and 70 a week ESA but this doesnt cover everything and i cant afford the decent food i used to eat and im getting more and more ill, the more ill i get the more stressed i become and the govenment dont seem to think im entitled to any more finacial help.

I want to find a new job but i cant work while im ill, i just go round and round thing just getting worse and worse. i need help but dont no where to go?

Can anyone give me any advice before i loose my home?

Jim (POPS)

Jim (Pops)
Dickie,
I'm sorry to here that you are going through all of this. First off, your health is the most important thing. Try not to worry about everything eles. I know this is very hard but the truth is, a year from now you will look back and say, "why did I worry about this". I'm 62 years old and I have worried all my life about things, but the older I get I have found out that there is no need to because it DON'T help at all. Everything will work out and I will still be here. Everything I have worried about ALWAYS has worked out, maybe not for the best, but I did get through it and I'm fine.
I think if you go at it this way you will helpyou crohns and the stress level will be much lower.
Jim.

Sorry to hear about your situation. I'm not really sure of the Welfare system in the UK. If you're receiving benefits because you're not able to work, you could look into disability allowance. Disability entitlements are usually higher, and they might give you more assistance in paying your rent. Id recommend you too look into it; citizens information service etc.. Here in Ireland we have a 'Community Welfare Officer'; if you are struggling and can prove it they offer further assistance. You could see if there is something similar at home? You could also discuss rent being lowered by your landlord; i know here house prices have dropped, yet rented accommodation has stayed the same until recently when social welfare gave a limit to what amount a person in rented accommodation could pay so most dropped there prices. Hope any of this helps. Best of luck!

I've lost everything more than once due to my crohns, and it always seems like there's no answer. How can you work when you're sick? How can you get better if you can't afford to eat? Plus sleepless nights of never ending stress and wondering how you're going to survive. I lost my fiancé ( clearly dodged a bullet there!) he left while I was in the hospital. Came out and had nowhere to go, couldn't work, couldn't pay my car payment. Felt like just giving up. I didn't though! I had to move home with my mother, spent what little money I got from temporary disability on decent food, and rested as much as I could. The most important thing to remember is you're not alone, and getting through it is hard.....but you will. It took a while but I put the pieces back together, got a new job, and an amazing man who would never abandon me at my worst. There is help, I don know about the uk, but here you can get temporary disability, and if you're found to be disabled, full medical. It took a lot of digging to find the resources I needed to survive ( food assistance, energy assistance, temporary disability) but they helped me survive until I was able to work again. Hopefully you will find the assistance you need, and even though it sounds impossible, try not to stress yourself out, the stress alone is enough to keep you in a flare! Keep your head up, and once you get through it it'll all just seem like a bad dream....

Hi Dickie, have you tried the citizens advice bureau ? I hope they can help, or at least point you in the right direction xxx

Artisan105

Yondaime
Everyone pointed out some really good points. I don't know how the disability system works over there but the best solution is to move back home with your parents or relatives. I know it might suck but you have no other options. If you stay where you are at, you will be overcome with bills. This will lead to stress. Which in turn will turn into a flare. All I am saying is you need to be in a stress-free environment for some time so reach out to the people who love you the most- your family.

I am sorry your partner left you in your darkest hour. I know how this feels like -_- My fiance left me after I got ill. I lost my house, my cars, and her. She just couldn't handle it or see a future with someone who is always sick.

But there is a bright light at the end of the tunnel. You will get better. You will get a job eventually. You will find another person or you might get back with your ex. Whatever the situation is, but for right now you need to heal up. Go home. Your mom & dad is the best support system you got. There is no shame in going back.

Hang in there.

Hey there- for sure it seems like you are not alone, I definitely feel for you and am having similar problems myself. I am lucky to have a job that is really understanding and supportive, low stress and that I enjoy. Ive been off work for 5 weeks after my first surgery to remove 80cm of small intestine. My employment insurance payments are extremely small and its sad and frusturating... I live alone with my dog and have to take care of her too. I am lucky and am able to ask some family for help with buying groceries during this time which is such blessing because eating healthy is my best defense against this disease. however I have to ask for that help which is hard because Im stubborn and dont like to admit when Im down and struggling- is there anyone in your life you could ask for help with a grocery shop? Is getting a roomate an option to help with rent? or the living with parents ( or other family/good friend?) for a temp period to rest and heal and rebuild? wish you well and sending my support!