• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

[ANSWERED] Is Prednisone a Poor/Bad Treatment for Crohn's Disease?

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I've heard it mentioned a couple times on the forum that Prednisone is not a good medication/treatment for people with Crohn's yet works for people who have UC. I know that it can cause more harm when taken long term such as bone loss etc. but does it actually promote perforation and fistulization or other complications? If so, how?

This is where I originally heard about it:
"...steroids would be reasonable if you have UC. Steroids should be avoided if it is Crohn's as it promotes perforation and fistulization. I always tell my Crohn's patients that 9 out of ten times, you will get a Crohn's patient better with steroids at the cost of a ton of side-effects; however, nine out of 10 patients with complications were on steroids." http://www.crohnsforum.com/showpost.php?p=601244&postcount=5

David

Co-Founder
Cool Jennifer. How about we ask is this way:

"Does use of steroids in Crohn's disease increase the chance of perforation, fistulae, and/or other complications? A medical doctor who posted once on our forum stated,

"Steroids should be avoided if it is Crohn's as it promotes perforation and fistulization. I always tell my Crohn's patients that 9 out of ten times, you will get a Crohn's patient better with steroids at the cost of a ton of side-effects; however, nine out of 10 patients with complications were on steroids."

Would you agree with this?

Catherine

Is this part of same question?

Does prednisone used make the healing of fistula with medication more difficult or less likely?

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
That sounds fine David. Starting to become a longer question but I think Catherine's question could easily be cleared up as well if added.