• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Best apple for juicing???

I have a question, what is the best apple for juicing?
I found a chart on apples and the only one it recommends for juicing is the Honey Crisp (which are one of the most expensive apples where I live).
I juice twice a day and include an apple every time I juice. I include it because it sweetens the juice and it's a fantastic fruit health wise. So I wonder if there is an advantage to using one particular kind of apple? I was reading that red delicious may have some anti-tnf properties (the skin particularly). The apple chart I have says it is only good for eating (it is the only apple not recommended for anything else including baking etc).
Anyone have any thoughts?
I have been using Fuji apples for the last little while.

Thanks,
Robb

You can use any apple for juicing. Green apples contain the least sugar while red contain the most antioxidants. The seeds contain cyanide, and about 20 will kill a mouse, so do the math.

rygon

I use cox apples as they are really crisp. I think the biggest thing is to get them fresh so they juice well

Gianni

Granny smith is usually the best for many Crohnies. Sucrose will sometimes induce diarrhea depending on the location of the diseased area. Granny Smith's have the lowest sucrose level and give the juices more of a sour kick which help mask the greens more in my opinion.

Fuji apples sure are delicious to juice though :).

Gianni