Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender » How to ask an acquaintance out online?

04-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
How to ask an acquaintance out online?

So there is this guy who I met two years ago when he dated this acquaintance friend of mine. I REALLY liked him looks and personality wise but couldn't make a move since he was taken. We did become Facebook friends. I haven't talked to him since but learned they recently broke up. I'm not concerned with my pseudo friend being mad since we barely have anything to do with each other and apparently my friend broke up with him because he wasn't the one in love.

How do I without being an awkward stalker just pop in and ask him out on Facebook?

I sent a message saying what's up but have no clue how to handle this. I'm so nervous but this is my chance.
04-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
bigtruck

Just go for it, pm him on Facebook and ask does he fancy meeting up, nothing ventured nothing gained.
04-05-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
Josephine

My Support Groups:
I agree with Truck.

Sacroiliitis and add to grew list auto immune diseases.

Now on Lansprazole 15 mg And Gavin son 5mg-10mg 3a day.

Crohns from Oct 2007
Domperidone 10 mg -20 mg, Mebeverine 135 mg,
3 a day.
Balsalazide 750 mg 3 X3 a day on going.
Bone protection.

Azathioprine is not working, still waiting to find out what next. Still on low dosage Prednisolone

Mesalamine Enema

No Wheat

English my native language and have characterizes of dyslexia.
04-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
If you're nervous about asking for an actual date...

Could ask to meet up for coffee or something just to get to know each other first.

Current Meds:
Pentasa 1000mg 2xday or Mesalamine DR 1.2gm 2xday, Canasa Suppositories (when needed) 1000mg 1xday, Tylenol 3 with codeine 300-30mg (when needed)

Non-Meds:
600+D Calcium 2xday, Multivitamin, 65mg Iron 1xday, Fish Oil 1000mg, Vitamin D3 5,000 I.U., Eye Drops 2xday

UP Support Group http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=68350
04-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #5
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
Your "what's up" message on FB was a great starter. Go for it!

Total colectomy with ileostomy featuring Sideshow Bob since January 2012

"The colon seems an unlikely candidate for dramatic effect, but now and then it serves that purpose well." The Associated Press Guide to Punctuation
04-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #6
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I'm so nervous I feel like puking. I just don't want to be weird and out of nowhere having not communicated just ask him out. When he responds to what's up I need to figure a reason for messaging. Shortly after ill ask him out for something casual like coffee.
04-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #7
Kev

My Support Groups:
I am the absolute worst person I know to take 'dating' advice from.. but if it were me, I'd message something along these lines.. 'Sorry to hear you N X are split. If there is anything I can do... want to talk.. let me know' You have expressed concern, an offer to help, and it is low key. If that doesn't get the response you hoped for.. next message. "Well, I think X is a fool.. you're great". Again, no committal, nothing too overt. Just you trying to bolster someone who is down. If they don't get the hint... well, sometimes men are totally oblivious. I know. I happen to play one on here.. ;-)

Dx'd July, 2006
Meds: Flagyl, Cipro, Pred, AZA.. to no effect
Low Dose Naltrexone Nov 2007 - May 2014
Remicade June 17th, 2014
04-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #8
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
So facebook says he saw my message. No reply
04-05-2013, 09:16 PM   #9
bigtruck

Keep calm give him a chance to think things through, slowly slowly catchy monkey!
04-05-2013, 09:20 PM   #10
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I know I know he may just have seen it and intend to respond later. It's not a major thing to respond to though so I am not hopeful.
04-05-2013, 10:54 PM   #11
Jennifer
Adminstrator

Why not Skype first before asking him out instead? Get to chatting and get to know each other better might help break the ice.
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.
04-05-2013, 11:12 PM   #12
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Well we have already hung out, it's just been a while ago. I do think Skype is a good idea though pre any date set up through an online dating site. It helps to make sure the person is who they say they are and there is some chemistry before meeting for coffee or a drink.
04-05-2013, 11:13 PM   #13
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I am the absolute worst person I know to take 'dating' advice from.. but if it were me, I'd message something along these lines.. 'Sorry to hear you N X are split. If there is anything I can do... want to talk.. let me know' You have expressed concern, an offer to help, and it is low key. If that doesn't get the response you hoped for.. next message. "Well, I think X is a fool.. you're great". Again, no committal, nothing too overt. Just you trying to bolster someone who is down. If they don't get the hint... well, sometimes men are totally oblivious. I know. I happen to play one on here.. ;-)
I like that way of approaching it. If it was in person I definitely would. Online is a little trickier.

Thanks for everyone's feedback.
04-06-2013, 03:19 AM   #14
Kev

My Support Groups:
Well, in the few months I have tried online dating... webcam/Skype may not be the way to go. I was... convinced.. persuaded.. to try it by a couple of women that I had chatted with online. Apparently... there are exhibitionists (I've heard from others that it occurs in both genders) who.. post an intro.. phoney of course.. start a conversation.. suggest the webcam thingy... then without being requested to... show off their various 'assets'.

In your case, it is different. This is someone you know. But, to anyone else who thinks it is a good alternative with a 'blind' date online.. you may end up wanting to claw your eyes out. Mind you, some exhibitionists are better than others. ;-) Just a caution, OK

Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender » How to ask an acquaintance out online?