Share Facebook

04-06-2013, 08:13 AM   #1
kel
Forum Monitor

Calling all gym rats!

In your experience what are the supplements you find useful for health/training, and what supps have you tried that caused you problems? I train heavily with weights when I am healthy enough to do so, and I like to try different products. But, I want to avoid anything that might set off a flare (Crohns). Thanks for your help!

Short list:
Creatine (any formula)
Glutamine
BCAA's
Beta alanine
Caffeine
Arginine

Those are the most common ones I can think of currently. No discussion on protein please that deserves a topic of its own.

Side question: What is the best sport/performance multi you have taken?
04-06-2013, 08:39 AM   #2
Beach
Forum Monitor

When I was more active with lifting I never did get around to experimenting with the many different for weight lifting supplements for sale. I was surprised at how much success I had with gains though. I didn't expect this. I've put on around 50lbs over the last few years.

My guess is I was mainly helped by the vitamin D3 and vitamin K2 I took, along with a eating healthy diet, and having a trainer that pushed me harder than I thought I could be pushed.

Vitamin D3 has been found to boost testosterone and other sex hormones significantly. I learned of this effect from Dr. Cannell's vitamin D news letter.

"Vitamin D Council"

snippet:

...Finally, vitamin D boosts testosterone levels! In a randomized controlled trial, 3,300 IU/day of vitamin D increased testosterone levels by 30-40%. In men, testosterone is important for reproduction tissues like the testis and prostate, and it's also important for key masculine features like increased muscle, bone mass, and the growth of body hair.

How can you help?...
The article can be seen at:

http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=...c&e=d37488c337

& vitamin D3 is also thought to be helpful with Crohns and other IBD conditions.

"Vitamin D and Crohn's Disease"

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=23826
04-07-2013, 01:06 AM   #3
kel
Forum Monitor

That's some great information thanks! My D levels are low right now I'll definitely look into D3.

Would really love to hear some input on my original query though
04-08-2013, 06:15 AM   #4
amrycrohns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I am also the lifter type that just happens to also run. I take Cell Mass (Creatine), Nitrix(L-arginine), Xtend (Amino Acids). I also use to always take NoXplode, but for whatever reason I have been struggling stomach wise with any pre workout supplement I have tried. Currently using chocolate milk as my pre workout.

Multi Vit and Mineral sup. I use Animal Pak from universal, recently I have noticed that some other companies have made some very similar compounds of late.
04-10-2013, 08:47 AM   #5
alex_chris

I can't help with weigh lifting supplement, my work-out is about 45min running 3-4 times a week, 3 times rowing half an hour and some other exercices plus biking. So it's more of an endurance sport focus (but the rowing gives you upper body strength).

I take a combi pill with magnesium 400mg, potassium 400mg, B6 6mg, B12 6microgramm and zinc 0.3mg. Additionally 1000 I.U. D3 (Vit D is really, absolutely important) and because of iron deficiency since 2007, I take 2x80mg iron supplements (Tardyferron) and 1x80mg solvable iron supplement (Loesferron Forte). That's enough to keep any cramp away. Doesn't help with muscle increase though, although I upped my weight from 65kg to 77kg in the last years due to more training.
60cm of smaller intestine removed in 2003
Vitamin therapy with D3, B6, B12, magnesium, zinc, folic acid for years
Iron therapy with Tardyferron 80mgx2 and Loesferron 80mg for years
Yoga, running, freeletics on the sport side!