• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Foul smelling gas

CarolinAlaska

Holding It Together
Jae is doing very well right now except for one small (but gnarly) problem. She has such bad smelling gas! I'm thinking that it may be caused by the "Prebio" in her Peptamen Junior, and will try to eliminate that, but I'm wondering if anyone has any other suggestions? Probiotics? Meds? Is this a sign of anything? We're ready to start reintroducing foods, but I'd like to get a handle on the formulas she's drinking before we do that to confuse the issue... Thanks for any suggestions in advance :)

By the way, her formulas right now are 4 cans Peptamen Junior (with Prebio) and 4 cans Ensure. The foul gas started before we went to Ensure. She drinks a mixture of one can of each 50/50 (Ensure for palatability, Peptamen Junior for digestability).

my little penguin

Staff member
Ds is on 3 peptamen jr with prebio a day - no gas issues.
That wasn't a problem when he was 7 a day without food either .

Before my son was diagnosed he has terrible whiffy gas! since he been on his meds he has been much better though. xx

This has been an ongoing issue with my daughter. It is better now then it was now that her crohns is somewhat more under control. I think it is just an IBD thing.

Crohn's Mom

I was thinking Probiotics, but honestly I don't have a clue! :(
I have no experience with EN, so I will just wish you luck on saving your poor senses! :ylol:

I have found that wierd/bad smelling gas comes with things not going well in the bowels. If its isolated to one day...then I'd blame food

My son had terrible smelling gas (the not just clear a room but clear a HOUSE kind) just before he was diagnosed when he was really inflamed. It went away as soon as he started meds.

Carol, I just said this in the EN thread then saw this thread so:
Look up SIBO. Small bowel bacterial overgrowth can cause foul smelling flatus.
Also C-difficile but if she had that she'd likely have symptoms but worth doing a culture to see.

Devynn had the worst gas ever before being diagnosed. It got a bit better when the meds were working. She has her good days and bad days. If she eats anything with milk, pizza being the worst.. she can clear a room.

Could be undigested carbs. (carbohydrates ) -fairly common with sugars even in fluids and juice, white bread, starches.

;-)

Gas has been a problem here too. I was going to say the Ensure before you said it started before you started it. Dairy and sugar are big culprits for us. It's usually a sign that things aren't great in the gut. Yes, starting on probiotics or changing/increasing them can do it for us also.

CarolinAlaska

Holding It Together
I think that we may have narrowed it down to the Peptide. She cut that out today and so far, so good! I hope so!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Where e'er thou be,
let thy wind blow free.

I hope you have found the answer Carol and the air is sweeter smelling!

Good luck!

Dusty. xxx

CarolinAlaska

Holding It Together
I think we found the culprit in Jae's case. We've ousted the Peptide from the mix and although she's still gassy it doesn't smell like sulfur any longer and her sister isn't making her keep a fan blowing air across her butt in the other direction to continue to play with her! (True story)