• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Stress With Exercise?

I had surgery in November and the surgeon told me everything(other than what was removed) was looking good and I was taken off meds. A couple days ago I had my after-surgery procedure to check everything out and was told they found many ulcers.

I've been working out and riding my bike daily, but after hearing the results and knowing stress worsens everything, I started wondering if the stress on the body from exercising could be bad for my Crohn's?

If anything it's the exact opposite in my opinion and in my own experience. Now, that is not to say you should train like a triathlete immediately after your surgery. But I think that exercising at whatever level your body can handle (you have to use your own judgment here) is one of the healthiest things you can do in general and also will speed up your recovery.

There is a German study on endurance sport from 2006 that showed significant improvements for people who went for two 90 minutes runs per week and a third sport session of at least an hour compared to a control group.

From personal experience I can tell you sport is good for Crohn's patients.

You say you have been taken off medication? What long term medication are you on? Have you figured out an effective diet? How do you generally feel?

Thanks everyone. I actually like exercise, I was just worried if I was doing too much it might cause problems.

There is a German study on endurance sport from 2006 that showed significant improvements for people who went for two 90 minutes runs per week and a third sport session of at least an hour compared to a control group.

From personal experience I can tell you sport is good for Crohn's patients.

You say you have been taken off medication? What long term medication are you on? Have you figured out an effective diet? How do you generally feel?
I was only on Humira before the surgery then they decided I should stop taking it when I was due for my next injection. They're putting me back on Humira and told me I would be at risk for certain reactions due to being off it for about 5 or 6 months.
I don't think I've figured out a diet yet but can't figure out when I'm having reactions to certain foods.
Usually feel great, a lot of energy, no pain, Okay apatite. Gas still uncomfortable and usual D so I kind of expected the dr's to find something

My problem is my fistulas. When I walk too much, they get sore and irritated. Don't know if bike riding would be the same or not.

Zac, I tell my doc about my crazy exercise adventures, I am riding 380km in 2 days in June, he probably thinks I need a psych consult, but he didn't say it would make thinks worse. I have had fistulas for a long time, they do get irritated, but usually when I walk, rarely from running or biking.

Everyone has different levels of activity that they're good with? If you feel good with what you're doing, I'd say keep doing it. Sometimes Crohn's just gets worse because it's Crohn's and it's a b#$%h. Then again, if you feel like you're actually stressing your body with how strenuous your workouts are, you might be right to take it down a notch. Hard for anyone else to say. I am a lazy person. I hate working out. I do not like running, it seems a silly activity. What am I running from? I personally walk a lot (necessary in a city) or else go to yoga every day (when I visit my parents and more driving is involved). Personally I think everyone should do yoga! I fell out of it in school because classes were $$$, but I really think they're worth it. Stretching is good for our bodies :)