• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

[Answered] When to go to the ER

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I know the question is asked many a time in the Parent's forum as well the forum as a whole...I don't know what to do? or Should I go the the ER? So...

What signs and symptoms, uncluding severity and duration, would be considered:

Noting and waiting for a scheduled appointment.

Making an appointment with the GP ASAP.

Ringing the GI.

Heading to the ER.

David

Co-Founder
Dusty, do you think we should ask this question from the perspective of a patient who was recently in remission or who has active disease? I feel like the answers would differ for them. Or should we not specify?

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I will think about it David but at this point I feel there would be no need to specify as the information should be generic. For example, if someone is experiencing bleeding or cramping etc then it should not matter whether you are in remission or have active disease as the answer should reflect if it is a new symptom (remission) or has worsened in its presentation (active) then you should do so and so. Does that make sense?

Of course if others feel they would prefer the question be answered in relation to both disease states then I am more than happy to go that way.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I dunno, more often then not it seems that many people don't know if their disease is active or in remission. Seems to me that many do have active disease but have a period where it seems like they are in remission and assume that they are then are suddenly confused by a sudden increase in symptoms. To me it seems like the answers should be in general, when to seek immediate help even if you have an appointment with your GI the following day.