Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Ask the Experts » Submit a Question » [Answered] When to go to the ER

04-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #1
DustyKat
Super Moderator

[Answered] When to go to the ER

I know the question is asked many a time in the Parent's forum as well the forum as a whole...I don't know what to do? or Should I go the the ER? So...

What signs and symptoms, uncluding severity and duration, would be considered:

Noting and waiting for a scheduled appointment.

Making an appointment with the GP ASAP.

Ringing the GI.

Heading to the ER.
04-08-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
David
Co-Founder

Dusty, do you think we should ask this question from the perspective of a patient who was recently in remission or who has active disease? I feel like the answers would differ for them. Or should we not specify?
04-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #3
SarahBear

My Support Groups:
Could it go from both angles?

Sarah.
Diagnosed with Crohn's disease 12/6/08.
Have taken: Prednisone, 6mp, methotrexate, Pentasa.
Currently waiting for a new medication!

Check out the Crohn's forum chat!

04-08-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
DustyKat
Super Moderator

I will think about it David but at this point I feel there would be no need to specify as the information should be generic. For example, if someone is experiencing bleeding or cramping etc then it should not matter whether you are in remission or have active disease as the answer should reflect if it is a new symptom (remission) or has worsened in its presentation (active) then you should do so and so. Does that make sense?

Of course if others feel they would prefer the question be answered in relation to both disease states then I am more than happy to go that way.
04-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
Jennifer
Adminstrator

I dunno, more often then not it seems that many people don't know if their disease is active or in remission. Seems to me that many do have active disease but have a period where it seems like they are in remission and assume that they are then are suddenly confused by a sudden increase in symptoms. To me it seems like the answers should be in general, when to seek immediate help even if you have an appointment with your GI the following day.
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.
04-15-2013, 07:57 AM   #6
David
Co-Founder

Thank you for the submission. We'll take it into consideration for our next batch of questions we send out.
09-02-2013, 11:17 PM   #7
David
Co-Founder

This question has been answered.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Ask the Experts » Submit a Question » [Answered] When to go to the ER