Share Facebook

04-10-2013, 11:44 PM   #1
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Injection style

How do you self inject? I was told to pinch the skin and keep it that way while I inject but the pamphlet says pinch, insert needle and then let go of the pinch.

I'd prefer to keep the pinch as I inject. Does anyone else do this? Does it make a difference?
04-12-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
Downnvrout

My husband does it for me but he keeps the pinch until all medication is released. I believe it helps....
04-12-2013, 08:25 AM   #3
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I think the pinch hurts less but is all that medicine in that fold making it more hospitable for an injection site reaction? No idea.
04-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #4
Downnvrout

Great question! I will be asking this to my doctor on April 30th for clarification. Are you finding relief from the Cimzia? I have been on it for about 2 months now. I felt some relief about 1 week after the first loading dose but I haven't been feeling well for the last 2 weeks or so. I was previously on Humira but it wasn't working anymore.
04-12-2013, 09:28 AM   #5
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I have been on it for a month. I have more energy but haven't felt pain relief yet
04-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #6
Yupitsme

I had my first injections today. the nurse also told me to let go of the pinch...

crohns since 96
ileostomy 09
recently diagnosed with pyoderma gangrenosum
tapering prednisone
tried: remicade, asacol,pentasa,entocort,humira and a bunch of other crap

cimzia begins this week
This kinda sux...but i will survive
04-16-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Also related to your other post... When I kept the pinch I didn't have the bump but when I let go I did. Might be a coincidence.
04-16-2013, 07:50 PM   #8
PsychoJane

My Support Groups:
I can't remember the exact reason but I am pretty sure that one of our nurse friend will tell us more clearly what it is all about. If I recall correctly it has to do with the delivery mechanism. They need to be delivered subcutaneously and well the release allows for it to go where it is supposed to go rather than too deep (which would be intra-muscular I suppose). Thats why they suggest the 45 degree pinch then release. If I am right, I think they told me that the method with the pen was different and required the pinch holding because of the retractable mechanism. Something like that...

Currently taking: Omega-3, D-3, med-free for the time being.
~~Oh! n sorry if what I write seems strange at times, English is not my main language!~~

You'd like to chat and feel facebook would ease this point,
send me a private message and i'll do so =)
04-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #9
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I can't remember the exact reason but I am pretty sure that one of our nurse friend will tell us more clearly what it is all about. If I recall correctly it has to do with the delivery mechanism. They need to be delivered subcutaneously and well the release allows for it to go where it is supposed to go rather than too deep (which would be intra-muscular I suppose). Thats why they suggest the 45 degree pinch then release. If I am right, I think they told me that the method with the pen was different and required the pinch holding because of the retractable mechanism. Something like that...
Now you are scaring me that when I pinched and didn't release that the medication somehow didn't go where it needs to.
04-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #10
PsychoJane

My Support Groups:
Well, I don't think it would make a huge difference (well I really don't know to be honest) but I'm assuming they would be quite precise about it during the training and put emphasis on the why do it this way and not that way if it were to be a major problem.