• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

C-dif questions!

Sorry to be posting with several threads but the story goes on...and on.
Last week Nico had 2 days with diarrhea and lots of blood in it, so i called the GI and he ordered a stool sample. After adding oatmeal to his diet, the D stopped. A the same time he started taking 6mp as his maintenance med. His BMs were fine, sometimes felt a little urgency but not a big problem, but he started having nausea and loss of appetite.....this I know is due to the 6mp because this has happened before. So today I called the GI to see if he could switch back to remicade (what he had been taking pre surgery), and the doc said Nico had tested positive for C-Dif and was to start Flagyl and thats why he felt no appetite and was nauseous. he Took him off his maintenance meds. Today actually he feels great because he did not take the 6mp last nite and I am so sad he has to start with Flagyl tonight which makes him feel so horrible!

My question is , can he have c dif without diarrhea? Really, his stomach has been doing well since the oatmeal. I do know that c Dif is nothing to take lightly so I am following docs orders. He is anemic, and his stool is kinda dark brown, but not black.

Don't we all have c Dif in our systems?

What is good to give in terms of probiotics....s. boulardi, vsl3??? Any foods?

Wow, any help would be really appreciated. Thanks!

awmom, I have no knowledge about C Dif, but I hope Nico feels better soon! I will be watching this thread about the pro biotics. I am going to start Devynn on them. My dr said he likes Bio K and VSL#3. Apparently you have to order the VSL3 online. I am going to look into it.

If your in the USA, you might be able to get a script for it.
Our GP wrote one for Grace so we have to get through the process of submitting it to the insurance for coverage. We were warned it might be denied at first but the second or third will be the charm. It's a year long script. Worth it to us!

Thanks.......for the moment I am giving him Florastor because I can give it together with the Fagyl, but I want to keep him on probiotics for a long time after he's done! I have heard that VSL3 is one of the better ones. Funny how none of Nico's docs have ever mentioned probiotics, microbiom, or anything of the sort. If he starts losing weght on the Flagyl I'm going to ask to have a fecal transplant for him. They actually have a FT center at Texas children's so hopefully they can do it. What worries me is that he is due for his remicade treatment next week and we are already at 10 week intervals, so I'm afraid he will stop responding to it if we wait much longer.