• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newbie & full of questions that need answering if possible :D

I'm never really good with intro's, so I'll just say hi all.
I'm 17 at the moment, I got diagnosed October last year, symptoms first started right after my 16th birthday, went along with the hospitals plan that I'd have tests done and all that, and then the weekend after my symptoms just got a whole lot worse and went into hospital and got diagnosed, currently on 3 50mg tablets of Azathioprine and 1 20mg Omeprazole tablet a day, I was wondering if anybody else is taking these medications, and also what the side effects for you are?
Another question, if this one can be answered I will be so grateful.
Can you possibly gain enough weight without the use of steroids(If I could, I can get more, but the side effects is Acne, so no thanks) and also could you live a body builders lifestyle? I've always been quite naturally broad and well built, but I lost some of this whilst I had Crohn's without being diagnosed, and I'm finding it pretty difficult to put any weight on, never mind starting to bulk up. So if anybody has gotten any answers they will be most appreciated, and thanks for reading this, its quite long :eek2:

SarahBear

Welcome to the forum!

I haven't been on either of those medications myself, but you can read about others' experiences with Azathioprine here: Imuran / Azathioprine / 6-MP. I have been on 6-MP, which is similar to Aza, and although I didn't take it very long, I don't remember experiencing any side effects. Are you experiencing any side effects?

You may be able to avoid the use of steroids with enteral nutrition (which you can read about in the Enteral Nutrition section of the Treatment forum, here ). However, many people have a difficult time sticking to EN. Have you been on steroids before, and are you certain they would cause acne? I personally didn't have that side effect when I took Prednisone. I'd imagine it's possible to become a body builder, but I'd advise you be cautious and don't push yourself too hard. That might be an interesting thing to discuss in the Diet, Fitness and Supplements section, which you can find here.

Are you considered to be in remission now?

Last edited:
I've been in remission for over 6 months, just the medication makes me feel ill for a coupe of hours every morning, and yeah I took 5mg Prednisone for 8 weeks, starting at 8 tablets then cutting it down by 1 each week, and the acne just engulfed my face completely :/ I had acne before I got Crohn's but these disappeared and I got them real bad with the steroids and thanks for the info!

SarahBear

You might want to see if you could try Entocort if you need to go on steroids again. It's a gentler steroid and affects primarily the digestive tract, so there are fewer side effects.

:)