Share Facebook

12-20-2011, 08:21 PM   #1
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
LGBT Crohn's Patients

Anyone else a member of the LGBT community? Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender in case anyone is wondering.

Im a gay guy with Crohn's and often feel like the only one but I know it's not the case.

I feel like healthcare towards our community is poor in general and nearly non existent in this area. I think there are many IBD issues that could be uniquely addressed to a gay and lesbian patient population.
12-20-2011, 08:30 PM   #2
tiloah

My Support Groups:
Yep, here and queer. We have lots of members who identify this way. There's a coming out thread in the Members Only section I believe.

The medical community has a long history of ignoring the unique health needs of the LGBT community in general, so it's not surprising that it would happen with IBD as well. Are you "out" to your healthcare providers? I am married to a man so I "pass" almost all of the time.
12-20-2011, 10:45 PM   #3
David
Co-Founder

I ask this with sincerity... how would the health care provided to someone in the LGBT community be different from a heterosexual patient? What are the unique needs of LGBT patients?
12-20-2011, 10:59 PM   #4
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Diesanduhr I'm not out to my healthcare providers for fear that I will be treated differently and not get optimal care.

Dave there are a lot of issues that are unique to the LGBT community. We are at increased risk for certain cancers, depression, suicide, etc.

A lot of this is due to societal homophobia which leads many gay people to substance abuse and to avoid medical professionals. Hence why lesbians are at higher risk for female cancers because they don't want to discuss sexual organs or sexual health with their provides. Transgender people are many times not even welcome to be treated which is terrible and bisexual people often get unnoticed.

For me as a gay man I'm concerned with Crohn's disease and anal sex. Also Crohn's disease increases your likelihood for anal cancer. Other issues revolve around self esteem, dating and general disease issues.
12-21-2011, 12:05 AM   #5
tiloah

My Support Groups:
I ask this with sincerity... how would the health care provided to someone in the LGBT community be different from a heterosexual patient? What are the unique needs of LGBT patients?
This is an excellent article about the health disparities:

http://www.autostraddle.com/hhs-anno...-health-83107/

Just one example: "Because LGBT people are regularly discriminated against in employment, relationship recognition and insurance coverage, they are more likely to get sick and less likely to be able to afford vital health care than their straight and non-transgender neighbors."

Here are a few more articles on the subject. Unfortunately almost all of my info comes from the same source (a girl on girl culture website) so it doesn't cover the complete picture, but it is informative.

http://www.autostraddle.com/healthca...elders-122148/
http://www.autostraddle.com/gay-kids...-things-92082/
http://www.autostraddle.com/queer-la...instead-94486/
http://www.autostraddle.com/medical-...people-109388/
http://www.autostraddle.com/transgen...f-care-113430/
12-21-2011, 12:07 AM   #6
tiloah

My Support Groups:
Another example: Oftentimes women are told to have their first pap smear within a year of losing their virginity. This leads healthcare providers to telling women who haven't had sex with men (are gay) that they don't need pap smears, even if they have been sexually active for years. This may even account for some of the increased cancer risk.
12-21-2011, 12:37 AM   #7
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
This is also a good article highlighting LGBT health disparity.

http://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/to...spx?topicid=25
12-21-2011, 03:58 AM   #8
Rebecca85

Just thought I'd give a little wave. I'm bi, my current GP and consultants are unaware. My previous doctor knew because I was in a relationship with a woman and had some problems downstairs, so it was relevant. I am now in a long term relationship with a man, so the subject hasn't come up.

125mg azathioprine
4g Pentasa
12-21-2011, 06:25 AM   #9
handle

My youngest brother is gay, and has U.C. He's never mentioned any issues with discriminative healthcare but that doesn't mean he hasn't had any.
It was a surprise when he told us. We all realized, beyond doubt, that there is no choice in the matter. How foolish people can be, even clever ones, like doctors.
12-21-2011, 08:42 AM   #10
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
My youngest brother is gay, and has U.C. He's never mentioned any issues with discriminative healthcare but that doesn't mean he hasn't had any.
It was a surprise when he told us. We all realized, beyond doubt, that there is no choice in the matter. How foolish people can be, even clever ones, like doctors.
You would be surprised. My friends sister is a doctor who thinks my friend became gay due to the Western media lol. It's funny yet really sad at the same time.

Is your brother out to his doctors?
12-21-2011, 08:55 AM   #11
handle

I don't know if he would have mentioned it Nogutsnoglory. If it was an issue he would have.

The western media caused it eh! They used to say rock n' roll caused crime, and that toothpaste caused Crohns!
12-21-2011, 09:43 AM   #12
suschex
Suzanne

My Support Groups:
I'm not a member of LGBT but just wanted to send out a big hug...honestly, as if life isn't challenging enough without being judged for who you were born to be! I am sincerely sorry you have to deal with the issue of telling/not telling and then being judged about your sexuality at all in the middle of trying to deal with medical issues!!! I hope one day our world will be blind to all things other than a persons character!!!

HUGE HUGS!!!

Current Meds
Prednisone
Entyvio

Past Meds
Humira
Lialda
6-MP
Remicade
Etc.......
12-21-2011, 10:35 AM   #13
KWalker

Just like suschex, I am not a member of the LGBT but I wanted to give a giant Kudos to you guys, and girls! I really had no idea doctors would do something like that because of your sexual orientation. In my eyes I don't see a difference whatsoever. If you're happy, that's all that matters. My fiancee's aunt is gay and probably the happiest, most fun person to be around. 3 of my closet friends are also gay (2 boys, 1 girl) and they would do anything for anybody. Who cares if you like the same sex, it doesn't change anything in my eyes. Nobody should have to be afraid of coming out, and I'm glad you guys feel comfortable enough to share with us. You have my full support!
12-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #14
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Suschex and kwalker you both rock and the world needs more people like you!
12-21-2011, 02:13 PM   #15
lookame

My Support Groups:
I may not be gay or bi or transgender but I do feel fir you. I think everyone was created equal and therefor should be treated equal whether in adopting a child or in healthcare. I think everyone should have the right to the best healthcare available and not have it based on their sexual oriention. Its shameful how closed minded people are. I hope one day society wont be so closed off and will treat others equally. I for one support all of you.

Bloodwork is indeterminate IBD, biopsies are crohns positive, symptoms and visually it's UC

Current meds-
Prednisone, humira, 6mp, and lialda
awaiting surgical consult

Mom of Little Z
eosinophilic esophagitis 5/2015
12-21-2011, 06:03 PM   #16
tiloah

My Support Groups:
You guys are so wonderful and sweet! Awwh.

Here's a pretty nifty thing that happened today: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...-ships-return/

Hooray for the DADT repeal!
12-22-2011, 12:18 PM   #17
bushydougie

I too am not a member of the LGBTcommunity but have a variety of friends who are. I have always believed, since becoming ill and finding out about IBD, that it would perhaps be even more of a struggle for LGBT due to many of the points raised early.
I was very glad to see a Facebook post by NACC (national association of colitis and crohns uk) that they were funding a study into the needs, issues and concerns of LGBT. This was in september but I do not know when it will be finished and published. Hopefully this will address some of the specific needs you have and will help advise the health care professionals for the future so others do not have to go through any more problems just because of their sexuality.
12-22-2011, 12:56 PM   #18
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I too am not a member of the LGBTcommunity but have a variety of friends who are. I have always believed, since becoming ill and finding out about IBD, that it would perhaps be even more of a struggle for LGBT due to many of the points raised early.
I was very glad to see a Facebook post by NACC (national association of colitis and crohns uk) that they were funding a study into the needs, issues and concerns of LGBT. This was in september but I do not know when it will be finished and published. Hopefully this will address some of the specific needs you have and will help advise the health care professionals for the future so others do not have to go through any more problems just because of their sexuality.
That's so great that they are funding a study. Not sure if it will help here in the states but would love to read it.
01-03-2012, 02:15 AM   #19
Samboi

My Support Groups:
GLBTI here. One of the reasons I left the care of my previous Gastro was my perception that he was a homophobe. He has been the only one though. Every other health care provider has been amazing, supportive and professional. My current Gastro is super gay friendly - in fact she saw Kathy Griffin live the other day (same show session as me!! Lol) so I reckon she might be a bit if a fag hag - bless her!!
I kind of forget that gay people are a bit of an issue for some people - so I only notice very very overt discrimination. Silly old haters!!!
01-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #20
LindaS

My Support Groups:
I'm not LGBT, but like others, I can't believe there are health care disparities for you just because of who you are. My son has several friends with two moms and it never occurred to me that they would be treated differently by the medical community. I'm sorry you all are dealing with that on top of the Crohn's.
01-07-2012, 10:40 PM   #21
Jasoncode3

My Support Groups:
Just new to the forum, and wanted to say 'Hi". I am due to have a R Hemicolectomy on Jan 18th. I am a bit scared, but hopeful that it will give me some reprieve from all of this. It's good to know that there are other LGBT members on this forum.
01-09-2012, 09:11 PM   #22
tiloah

My Support Groups:
Hi! Welcome to the forum. Have a look around. I actually had that surgery six months ago, and it was the best decision I think I could have made for myself. I wrote about it in excruciating detail in the link in my sig. If you want to read that or hear other stories about surgery in general, we have a surgery sub forum.

I hope your surgery goes well and you have the best possible outcome. Good luck!
01-09-2012, 09:58 PM   #23
Emily

My Support Groups:
I'm straight but I appreciate this thread nonetheless. I have always been staunchly pro ALL gay rights and I never gave a thought to the issue of health care problems for the gay community mostly cause I guess I didn't know much about it. This thread has been very informative and for that I thank you guys. Really opened my eyes. Plus it gives me an opportunity to jump and and express my love and support.
  • Total colectomy with ileostomy at age 23
infliximab & azathioprine
01-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #24
vonfunk
Bourbon Bandito

My Support Groups:
I've had a few friends who have raised this concern, and mentioned going out of their way to track down a queer positive doctor due to a great deal of misconceptions regarding the community. Toronto is not so bad compared to other cities our Pride celebration might be the second largest in North America.

I identify as straight because I'm not into cis-gendered dudes and it's just easier than trying to explain the term cis to people.
Goodnight Sweet Prince

01-10-2012, 07:54 PM   #25
Jonny C

This subject reminds me of what happened when I went to the ER during my very first flare 2 years ago.

ER Doc: So you said you're having blood in your stool?
Me: Yes
Doc: Are you sexually active?
Me: Um... occasionally
Doc: Women? Men?
Me: Why does that matter?
Doc: Well I was just wondering if the bleeding was from having a foreign object in your anus.

So if you're a gay male, avoid NY Presbyterian Hospital. They might just send you home with an ointment!

I still love you Nutella and I don't blame you for this.
01-11-2012, 12:23 PM   #26
Jasoncode3

My Support Groups:
Hi! Welcome to the forum. Have a look around. I actually had that surgery six months ago, and it was the best decision I think I could have made for myself. I wrote about it in excruciating detail in the link in my sig. If you want to read that or hear other stories about surgery in general, we have a surgery sub forum.

I hope your surgery goes well and you have the best possible outcome. Good luck!
I read you thread re surgery and I really appreciate it. How do you feel, are you able to eat somewhat normally and exercise? How about pain or flares?

Thanks,
01-11-2012, 10:45 PM   #27
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I just have to say it really warms my heart to see all the straight allies on here who take the time out of their day to just say hello and send their love. It's hard being human, nevermind having IBD and being a sexual minority. Thanks for the love and right back at ya!
01-12-2012, 01:25 PM   #28
Angrybird

My Support Groups:
Hi there, I just also wanted to add my support to you guys. Until I saw this thread it never entered my head that anyone in the LGBT community would be treated differently so thank you for opening my eyes It is so disappointing that these prejudices are still alive and strong and like LindaS says it's not as if you don't have enough to deal with what with having this awful disease.

DX: Crohns July 2002
Surgery: Ileocecal Resection Sept 2011
Now:Tummy behaving itself and new mummy to baby Nicholas
Current Meds: 6-MP 75mg,B12 injections every 3 months
Previous Meds: Budesonide, Prednisone, Remicade, Pentesa,Hydroxychlorequine,Azathioprine (tried twice) and Methotrexate
01-12-2012, 06:42 PM   #29
brooklyn23

Not alone. I identify as queer. *Waves*
01-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #30
Jonny C

Go Brooklyn! DoBro here