• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I need a better understanding...

We found out only 3 days ago that my boyfriend of 2 years has Crohn's. He means a lot to me and I don't want to see him being eaten away at. I've tried to research a lot into Crohn's but different websites keep telling me different things about it. I just need to know how this is going to affect him, what it'll do to him and how to deal with it. I'd never heard of it before I found out 3 days ago so my understanding is very little. He's a smoker, I've heard this makes it worse? But some say it doesn't make a difference. He hasn't been told to change his diet or anything like that. He just has a lot of tablets.

Please help me :)

studies have shown that smoking can inhibit some of the good bacteria in the intestines, and this may increase people chances of getting crohn's as well as make the disease worse.

cutting down or quitting would be a great choice.

nogutsnoglory

The research on smoking being helpful only applies to those with colitis not crohns.

"Please understand that if you have Crohn's disease and you smoke:

-Your Crohn's disease will be harder to control
-You are more likely to develop an abscess or a fistula
-You are more likely to need more powerful immunosuppressive drugs
-Your Crohn's disease is more likely to come back again when things do come under control
-You are more likely to need surgery
-Your Crohn's disease is more likely to come back after surgery
-You are more likely to need additional operations
-Your children are more likely to develop Crohn's disease (even if they don't smoke)"

http://www.crohnsandcolitis.com.au/smoking-and-crohns.php

Jim (POPS)

Jim (Pops)
No one can tell you what will happen over the years to your boyfriend. He should be so happy to have a girlfriend like you that will support him.

Back to your boyfriend, he could be really good for many years if he gets it under control. It's a smart thing to do, go to the Dr. and get it under control. Many people w/crohns go on with there life and do very well and then there is some that have a harder time with it. I'm 62 and have had 3 resetions beause I didn't take care of myself. That was my fault. But I'm doing much better and I'm going on with my life.

I hope you and your boyfriend both have good health.

Jim (Pops)

Thank you everyone, my mind is now slightly at ease. My boyfriend was also diagnosed of ulcerative colitis today too but apparently this isn't as bad as Crohn's. I just want to know everything about it to be able to help him deal with it so I know what he's going through and be able to know what I'm talking about when we have a conversation about it, and so I know what to perhaps expect in the future.

nogutsnoglory

You mean Crohn's colitis? Crohn's limited to the colon? There isn't a way to have Crohn's and colitis separately. Crohn's is patchy inflammation anywhere in the digestive tract whereas colitis is continual inflammation limited to the colon.

I don't know, I need a better understanding. All I was told is that he had Crohn's, and then today I had a phone call saying that he had a colonoscope and they found ulcers which they think to be ulcerative colitis

nogutsnoglory

Ulcers can happen in Crohn's too. It can be confusing since the name Ulcerative Colitis has the word ulcer. They are similar conditions but the minute the disease is outside the colon it's definitely Crohn's versus colitis.

nogutsnoglory

Do you know what areas are inflamed? Both diseases are similar in many ways but generally UC can often be treated by mesalamine alone whereas Crohn's doesn't generally respond well to that if the disease is outside of the colon.

Thank you. How is his life going to be affected by it? What things should I expect to happen. In 2 years we were planning to move to the USA from England but does that mean we can"t go because of his health problems?

nogutsnoglory

I think the main consideration is he needs to make sure he constantly has insurance coverage. The tests and medications are very expensive. Everyone is affected differently so I can't say how his life will be but he will likely need to watch what he eats, monitor his condition and take medication to induce and then maintain remission.

Thank you. How is his life going to be affected by it? What things should I expect to happen. In 2 years we were planning to move to the USA from England but does that mean we can"t go because of his health problems?
Of course he can move. I was diagnosed when I was 18 and since then I lived in Austria, Switzerland, the UK, the US and Germany. Crohn's doesn't restrict your life as long as you manage it well. But that's also the tricky part, many people (me included) take a long time to really get a hang of it.

Basically, managing Crohn's is a bit of a puzzles with several components. A big one is of course medication. Long-term treatment is done either via immunosuppressives (azathioprine, known under the brand name imuran or 6mp) or biologics (remicade, humira etc.). Immunosuppresives are taken daily in pill form and basically suppress a person's immune system so that it is less likely that your intestine gets inflamed - most notably your white blood cell count goes down. They can have side effects, especially on the liver (although rarely), so you do regular blood checks. Biologics on the other hand have in the past been used just for severe Crohn's cases, but today are also used for moderate cases, as biologics are just more effects. They are either taken via iv or self-injection every few weeks. They have a higher risk of side effects compared to immunosuppresives (but still marginally compared to e.g. smoking...).

Medication is one puzzle piece, the others are a good diet (e.g. things like onions or spicy or salty food and basically most junk food, hard liquor etc. are bad for Crohn's patients), stress management (you can have stress, but it should be 'good' stress), and - at least for me and for several others - endurance sport and vitamin therapy (vit B6, B12, D3, magnesium, zinc, potassium, folic acid etc.).

Anyway, it's pretty cool you want to inform yourself about Crohn's. I know it sounds scary and probably the most scary thing is that well there just ain't no cure. But many, many patients can manage it quite well and I personally don't actually think much about it personally. I have been in good remission basically without symptoms for over a year now. Crohn's is a disease which comes in "flares" (basically your small intestine gets inflamed leading to diarrhea, pain, tiredness, gasing etc.) - although it's a bit of a misnomer, if your Crohn's is untreated the inflammation also can just stay constant over months and years - something that evidently isn't good.

Lastly, what's important is that your boyfriend informs himself well about Crohn's (and I mean really informs himself by knowing really well what the standard treatment is, what people do to manage Crohn's etc.) and a good GI is also quite important. I have had so many different GIs in the past 14 years due to moving around, I have to say a LOT of them were not good even if they are specialized on IBD (inflammatory bowel disease which is the category that Crohn's, UC etc. falls into).

I think the main consideration is he needs to make sure he constantly has insurance coverage. The tests and medications are very expensive. Everyone is affected differently so I can't say how his life will be but he will likely need to watch what he eats, monitor his condition and take medication to induce and then maintain remission.
I agree with that. Insurance coverage is important. The good thing is that with Obamacare, insurance companies won't be able to discriminate against people with Crohn's any more - although if he gets a good job in the US he would be covered by his employer's group insurance regardless of Crohn's (that was the case for me when I worked in NYC).

As to the "expensiveness" of tests and medications. It depends, biologics are horribly expensive (remicade is north of 20k per year...) while immunsuppresives are a few hundred bucks per year. Blood tests cost over 100-200 bucks per test depending on what is tested. What can really, REALLY be expensive is any hospitalization. In the US even only a few days can run bills up north of 10k easily, even without any major procedure such as surgery performed.