• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Does Cimzia Help with Joint Pain?

I am starting Cimzia very soon, and am wondering how effective it is with joint pain. I have bad inflammation in my lower back and knees due to moderately to severly active Crohns (few digestive symptoms, but it shows as active up in biopsies and is really doing a number on my joints).

Prednisone works great for my joint pain, but since I can't take it long term, my gastroenterologist and rheumatologist both wanted me on a TNF. My insurance rejected both Remicade and Humira (go figure) so I have to start with Cimzia. I honestly don't care which I take so long as I get relief from joint pain.

I'm curious as to what other people's experiences have been? I'm especially interested in knowing how it compares to Remicade and Humira.

nogutsnoglory

The simple answer is probably yes but it depends on what is causing the joint pain. If its another condition causing joint damage, biologics often help. Cimzia also works for rheumatoid arthritis. If its just an extra manifestation of Crohn's due to an inappropriate inflammatory response you will likely see a reduction as inflammation subsides in your body.

The good news is Cimzia will probably help your joint pain. Beware though that one of the side effects of biologics is also joint pain. Weird right? It can both treat and cause joint problems in some people.

Wishing you luck!