Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Low Fiber/Residue Diet Support Group

08-06-2014, 03:26 AM   #121
Jaron Smith

My Support Groups:
Are you not seeing a GI for your Crohn's?
I'm a bit limited as to my choice of medical treatment. Most medications are unavailable to me and the doctors here aren't the highest quality.

Most of what I know about my condition comes from online medical journals and self-observation. Without top-notch medication, I'm entering my third week of remission and second month of strict dieting.

I'm just curious to see what western doctors are recommending for their patients.
08-06-2014, 04:15 AM   #122
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Low-fibre is a life-long diet for me.
08-10-2014, 01:52 PM   #123
Karen in Phoenix

My Support Groups:
It seems that roughage of any kind is not easy. I've removed grains completely from my diet for now and feel so much better. No bloating, etc. I sure do crave them though!

Carrie is spot on with the smoothies. I can put things in smoothies I can't eat whole.

So you'll need to experiment with foods to see what you can tolerate.
09-18-2014, 03:07 PM   #124
Asher

My Support Groups:
Hey my husband really wants to go to Red Lobster for dinner. What seafood is low fiber/residue? I hope shrimp! Haha

Medication:
Lialda 800mg (3x)
Remicade (started 12/2014)

Past Medication
ASACOL HD 800mg

"Be Joyful in Hope, Patient in Affliction, and Faithful in Prayer"
- Romans 12:12
09-18-2014, 08:57 PM   #125
Nancye50

My Support Groups:
Red Lobster would be easy, especially if you can eat greasy food. Hush puppies, biscuits, shrimp, lobster. Yum!!
09-18-2014, 09:14 PM   #126
Susan2

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
I find fish easy to cope with and also scallops but I have problems with other crustaceans.
Currently on no medications, but under constant gaze of very caring GP, with annual blood and other tests.
09-19-2014, 03:55 AM   #127
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Hey my husband really wants to go to Red Lobster for dinner. What seafood is low fiber/residue? I hope shrimp! Haha
No clear answer on this:

Should be fine according to this guide: http://www.hhsc.ca/documents/Patient...tFoods-trh.pdf

But I remember being told to avoid these types of food with an ileostomy, because they're not low fibre. I found this which agrees: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/Docum...gIleostomy.pdf
(The advice about avoiding "Shellfish, e.g. lobster, scallops, shrimp, crab" is on page 7.)

So to be safe I'd avoid shellfish!
09-19-2014, 10:23 AM   #128
Asher

My Support Groups:
Thanks guys!
10-23-2014, 04:15 AM   #129
leezapeza

My Support Groups:
Hi guys been awhile since I been in here just had my second stay in hospital due too a flare up they found another abscess same area the terminal iliem lager this time they had to drain it no fun but better than I expected I have now been out on a low residue diet as well but I'm not to sure what that is and what foods are better for me ?
10-23-2014, 04:56 AM   #130
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Well it looks like it's confirmed that I'll be on a low-fibre diet for life. I'm on my third ileostomy now, and all the advice I got from the surgeon and stoma nurses was that this stoma shouldn't block so easily as the last two, because it's an end ileostomy rather than a loop ileostomy. So I had some hope that I'd be able to tolerate more fibre now, but when I started testing eating it, I was straight back to the stomach cramps which I know mean I am on the way to a blockage. So I'll be sticking to low fibre from now on!
10-23-2014, 05:04 AM   #131
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Hi guys been awhile since I been in here just had my second stay in hospital due too a flare up they found another abscess same area the terminal iliem lager this time they had to drain it no fun but better than I expected I have now been out on a low residue diet as well but I'm not to sure what that is and what foods are better for me ?
Foods high in fibre tend to be the ones conventionally classed as "healthy" - fruit, vegetables, whole-grains, nuts and seeds. These foods don't break down easily during digestion, and they're the ones you have to avoid if you are eating low-fibre or low-residue.

There are a few fruit and vegetables that you can eat on a low-fibre diet: bananas, avocados, fruit juice, tinned peaches and tinned apricots and some pureed or boiled fruit.

You can eat grains that are not whole-grains: you can eat white rice, white bread and white pasta. There are some low-fibre breakfast cereals: Cornflakes, Rice Krispies, Coco Pops, Frosties and some others.

You can eat protein foods like fish, meat, eggs, cheese and other dairy.

If you google it you'll find many web-pages with lists of foods you can and can't have, though you may find you come across contradictions, where one site says a certain food is allowed, and another forbids it, but you can get the general idea of which foods are mostly well-tolerated. Here's an example which is quite straightforward: http://www.gwh.nhs.uk/media/140811/low-residue_diet.pdf
12-04-2014, 07:52 PM   #132
Ann Morgan

My Support Groups:
I have not been able to eat shellfish for many, many years. It would give me diarrhea. Sure wish I could enjoy some food with flavor. : - 0
12-04-2014, 08:04 PM   #133
Ann Morgan

My Support Groups:
Red Lobster would be easy, especially if you can eat greasy food. Hush puppies, biscuits, shrimp, lobster. Yum!!
Oh, please don't tease me with those biscuits
I cannot eat greasy foods at all, sends me right to the bathroom. I was at the airport with my sister and niece in August. My sister and I shared some food.
I really miss eating food with flavor, so I ate fried fish, french fries and coleslaw I was running to the restroom in less than an hour. A lady waiting in line in the restroom saw the desperation on my face, so she let me cut ahead of her line !!!!!
12-04-2014, 08:44 PM   #134
Ann Morgan

My Support Groups:
Ok, I was looking for somewhere to post a question I had about Whey Powder Isolate. I unfortunately posted my question on the Paleo diet "thread".
I got a pretty opinionated response.....yikes.

I bought some Whey Powder at Sprouts Grocery store to use in my smoothies as a source of protein ( I guess body-builders use a lot of this whey or soy powder ). I have been using plain Greek yogurt in my daily smoothies for a while and needed a change, so I chose the Whey Powder. I only use 2 level tablespoons in my 24 ounce smoothie and then I add some extra water in it too. Well, if I look online to.research the powder, of course I get a lot of conflicting stories about whether it is good for you or not. Has anyone here ever tried a whey or soy powder if they make smoothies ? My digestive system can tolerate a liquid diet WAY better than a solid food diet. I cannot eat a raw apple, but I can put one in a smoothie with no colon issues. I recently had a CT Scan for my Urologist to check a cyst on my right kidney and something on the scan showed the possibility of terminal ileitis. I just had a colonoscopy and it was normal ( but I am still having symptoms ). Anyway, I hate my new GI from this year, so I will be looking for a new one in 2015 and I will have to bring along my latest colonoscopy results and my CT Scan results. How can they diagnose terminal ileitis ?????
12-08-2014, 09:08 AM   #135
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
I have some good news - despite my earlier posts where I said my new stoma seemed to deal with fibre as badly as my previous stomas, I've recently been eating a bit more fibrous fruit and veg without any blockage symptoms! I think maybe I needed a bit more time for this stoma to heal, and now it has. I think I'll always be eating low fibre, but now not so very low fibre.

Ann Morgan - I know little about whey protein powder, but if you're finding the internet is divided over it, perhaps the best thing to do is try it for yourself enough times to know if it's making your symptoms worse? Or are you worried it could do silent damage, making your health worse in the long term while you feel no worse at the time you're eating it? My personal feeling is that it is probably an unnecessary food: there are plenty of easily available protein sources where there is a lot of established understanding about the effects they have on health.
12-09-2014, 04:05 PM   #136
Nancye50

My Support Groups:
I have no idea about the whey powder. What about powdered peanut butter?
12-10-2014, 01:00 AM   #137
MsZombie

My Support Groups:
I put myself on a low res diet after my first hosp stay, which was an abscess drainage. At the time I didn't know I even had strictures, that news came last week during my first colonoscopy for the "official" diagnosis of Crohn's. I pretty much stick to my diet, but being new to Pred, my hunger is huge! My diet consists of grilled steak (NY Strip or Ribeye), lean pork chops, chicken breasts, potatoes no skin, mashed or baked, white rice, gravy and canned green bean and canned carrots. A few surprising things I can tolerate is caffeine, haven't had to stop coffee but switched to agave nectar instead of refined sugar, any kind of cheeses, real butter, and Coke, but Dr. Pepper makes me sick. Fried foods in moderation aren't an issue and I seem to be able to eat candy, cake and brownies. Not healthy at all but I have no pain and fairly "normal" BM's. There are other foods I tolerate without problems but no need to list everything. I thought I'd share b/c my particular diet intake seems a little wider in choices than others and I know everyone is different. I want to start juicing a few fruits and veggies but don't know if I'll be able to handle the taste and texture. Plus, I need a blender! Maybe Santa will bring one for me!
Doc said considering the narrowing of my strictures, he's amazed that I can eat the things I'm eating. But you never know, things can change. So I'll enjoy these while I can.
I forgot to mention that Chocolate Muscle Milk has become my best friend!

Last edited by MsZombie; 12-10-2014 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Adding
12-10-2014, 01:20 AM   #138
Ann Morgan

My Support Groups:
Zombie: Buy a Nutribullet instead of a blender or a juicer. I have one and I like it. It is WAY cheaper than a juicer.
12-10-2014, 05:32 AM   #139
Polaris

My Support Groups:
Low-fibre is a life-long diet for me.
Me too, it seems.
12-10-2014, 06:24 AM   #140
Susan2

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Definitely for me, as well.
12-10-2014, 09:14 PM   #141
MsZombie

My Support Groups:
I will look into the Nutribullet. Thanks!
My only concern is feeling like I'm constantly either having warm soup or cold juice. I know this will all take some getting used to, I can be picky.
12-14-2014, 12:26 AM   #142
MsZombie

My Support Groups:
Hubby and I are currently at his company Christmas party. They are giving out door prizes and 2 of them are NutriBullets! Of course we didn't win anything, but one of the employees wins one, they know of my current situation, and gives me the NutriBullet. Now I can juice! Thought I'd share this cause I'm pretty excited about it AND I never, ever win anything. What great people!!
12-14-2014, 08:10 PM   #143
leezapeza

My Support Groups:
Hi guy just got out of hospital for the 3rd time this year they had to do a resection of my illiem and I had a fistula in between my bowel and bladder had to take that out and bit of my bladder they were took my appendix as well and done a wedges resection so I'm feeling a bit empty I've lost 5 kg since then op was on 27/11/14 so I'm on very soft foods and smoothies my mum and dad have a thing called the bullet it purée everything and anything I been on that the first 7 days after surgery u couldn't eat anything but ice
12-15-2014, 01:21 PM   #144
Nancye50

My Support Groups:
Remember that smoothies from a blender or bullet still have a lot of fiber. A juicer is the only way to remove the fiber.
12-15-2014, 02:09 PM   #145
Ann Morgan

My Support Groups:
I have a Nutribullet and I like it, but it may not meet everyone's dietary needs. I do NOT make any of the Nutribullet smoothies that are listed in the recipe book that I received when I purchased the blender because they all contain raw fruits and vegetables that I cannot tolerate at all in their solid form. I guess one day I should mix up something that resembles one of suggested recipes to see how my colon reacts. I am just afraid I will really get bad diarrhea from their recipes. I saw a nutionist/dietician in May and she gave me a paper with ideas for smoothies recipes, so that is the list I have been using. I don't have my Nutribullet recipe book any longer because I sent it to my Aunt. My smoothies have fruit,vegetable, protein, dairy, flavoring, and honey.

Every day I have my smoothie. It is refreshing because I also add 6-8 min ice cubes. It makes 24 ounces. I can digest liquid food easier than solid food. I gave up coffee seven months ago because coffee is a stimulant and creates more anxiety, as does candy. But now I am back to my 12 ounces of coffee in the morning, with liquid creamer. I really had missed the whole "coffee experience" in the morning. I like the hot coffee in the wintertime and the coffee aroma. Now instead of drinking my smoothie in the morning I drink it on late afternoon. I figured out how many calories were in my smoothie and it is no more than 600 calories. This may not be for everyone. I suffer from dry mouth too, so I like my liquid smoothie.

I use one medium ripe banana, one medium apple ( no core or skin, 1/2 cup of real carrot juice ( the refrigerated kind ), 5 ounces of plain Greek yogurt, 1 cup of soy milk, 2 tablespoons of honey and one tablespoon of real vanilla extract and 6 mini ice cubes. The NutriBullet is not made for ice cubes ? Recently I have been experimenting with whey protein powdrr to replace the plain Greek yogurt ( which is the protein part of my smoothie ) and I have also been adding one level tablespoon of ground up flaxseed seeds. The protein powder is 2 level tablespoons. If I use the Whey powider I add 1/2 a cup of water. I have heard that whey and soy protein are not good for you. But I will try both of them so I can have some sort of variety in my daily smoothie drinks.

My sister gave me a huge book about different types of smoothies, but a lot of the "smoothies are just the sugary types of smoothies that contain real sugary ingredients like ice cream, sweet juices chocolate and coffee. I don't to drink a dessert type of smoothie.

I know that this is not for everyone, but we are all constantly experimenting with what we can and cannot eat based omat our health condition is.

Thank you for listening. Have a great week. : - )
12-15-2014, 03:14 PM   #146
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
600 calories is an awful lot for a smoothie - it's almost twice the calories that are in one off the Ensure supplements my doctors prescribe to try to help me gain weight. Is the smoothie very filling? I'd love to find more sources of calories that won't fill me up!
12-15-2014, 05:17 PM   #147
Alley2231

My Support Groups:
600 calories is an awful lot for a smoothie - it's almost twice the calories that are in one off the Ensure supplements my doctors prescribe to try to help me gain weight. Is the smoothie very filling? I'd love to find more sources of calories that won't fill me up!
I know the smoothie I generally make for breakfast fills me up and is about 300 calories. I use - vanilla unsweetened almond milk(1 cup), spinach (2 handfuls), frozen blueberries(1 cup), frozen strawberries(1 cup), banana(whole), light vanilla yogurt(1/2 cup) and a few ice cubes. It fits nicely into a 32 oz water bottle that I have. Sometimes I switch out the strawberries and use pineapple. Yummy!

Diagnosed with Crohn's Disease - January 2014
Verified Crohn's Colitis - April 2014

Current Meds: Cimzia
Azulfidine (for joint pain)

Past Meds: Remicade, 6MP, Pentasa

Supplements: Calcium, D3, B12, Folic Acid, Probiotics

Blog: http://imacrohnie.tumblr.com/
12-15-2014, 06:40 PM   #148
leezapeza

My Support Groups:
Hope I get a bullet for Christmas lol not the lead kind either
12-16-2014, 08:20 AM   #149
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
I know the smoothie I generally make for breakfast fills me up and is about 300 calories. I use - vanilla unsweetened almond milk(1 cup), spinach (2 handfuls), frozen blueberries(1 cup), frozen strawberries(1 cup), banana(whole), light vanilla yogurt(1/2 cup) and a few ice cubes. It fits nicely into a 32 oz water bottle that I have. Sometimes I switch out the strawberries and use pineapple. Yummy!
I need things that won't fill me up!
12-16-2014, 09:34 AM   #150
1sickpuppy

Thanks, Ann for the smoothie recipe! I've been thinking about doing smoothies but can't do any fiber so was wondering about ingredients. This is a helpful starting point!
Colazal, VSL #3 and too many supplements to count.

Can I get a new body please? I think the warranty expired on this one...

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Low Fiber/Residue Diet Support Group