• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My story, and a Crohn's flare question for those in remission

Hi!
I’m here because I have a somewhat specific question for Crohn’s patients in remission (or who’ve been in remission in the past). I was diagnosed with Crohn’s in 2006, and have been on Remicade more or less ever since. Remicade works great for my Crohn’s, but the immune-suppressing side effects are driving me crazy (nasal fungal infections, aggressive gum disease, angular chelitis, dermal staph infections, pneumonia—you name it, I’ve probably had it), so I’m trying to get into a clinical trial for helminthic therapy. I was really happy because in January, I got a colonoscopy and the results were fantastic—total remission, very little scarring, everything looking healthy and beautiful. It was great news for my overall wellness and also for my prospects with the clinical trial, since its best to start this therapy whilst in remission.

For the past few days, I’ve struggled with constipation and bright red blood on the toilet paper. Today it was at its worst, and there were a couple of drops of blood in the bowl. That said, my stool looks pretty normal, and I’m not in any pain whatsoever. When I’m having an episode, constipation is not my usual M.O., so I’m not really sure what’s going on—I’ve also been eating horribly in the past week, overeating foods I try to eat in moderation such as gluten-rich bread and pasta. I blame hormones.

So I suppose my question is, do people in remission experience micro-episodes like this that resolve on their own? Should I go to my doctor with this issue? I’m worried that if I tell her about it, I run the risk of playing it too safe and not being considered for the clinical trial. I suppose this is silly, since if I’m not better in a few days I’ll have to let her know, and I won’t be able to get an appointment until next week or so anyway. But I’d rather not wave the red flag unless it’s really something to worry about.

Can anyone shed some light?

PsychoJane

Hi Isdotson!

I am wondering if you are feeling well on the overall. As you mentioned constipation, could that bleeding be related to an issue more related to something like hemorrhoids perhaps?

SarahBear

Welcome to the forum!

Personally, I think you should contact your GI about the blood ASAP. As PsychoJane said, it may actually be unrelated to the Crohn's. Either way, it's important to get checked out any time you experience blood in your stool.

Where was your Crohn's located when it was active? Are you male or female?

In response to your question, I think it's fairly common to have small episodes of symptoms while in remission. However, that would generally be pain, gas, diarrhea and constipation - things of that nature, that can be caused by intestinal spasms and foods disagreeing with you. I would consider bleeding to be more of an issue, because it generally takes a higher level of disease activity to cause that. But, as said before, it may be a tear or hemorrhoid related to the constipation, which in turn may be related to the foods you've been eating - so it could have nothing to do with Crohn's.

I hope you feel better soon!

Hi there

I'm sorry that you have been having this problem, as the others say it could be unrelated but would suggest you get in touch with your dr as a precaution, I appreciate your anxiety regarding the trial but if you ignore the your current symptoms and then later begin the trial if your not in remission then you won't be giving yourself the best potential outcomes. I am sorry this is happening and really hope you find the blood is not related to the crohns and that you can go ahead with the trial.

Best wishes and welcome to the Crohns forum. :hug:

I have had bright red blood before during constipation episode and it was from a slight tear from trying so hard to go. But it is worth mentioning to your doctor.

Sometimes my son would have blood like you described just from having a large stool. He is on the constipated side. So we do Miralax and plenty of fluids. This took care of the constipation and the blood.

Never hurts to call the nurse and check in. Once you explain everything they might tell you to wait and see. This has happened before for us and then the issue corrects itself.

Good luck!

I have been in remission for a long time and, yes, I do have "micro episodes" were I feel unwell. They are usually associated with stress, poor diet, etc., and generally don't last more than a week or so. No, I don't always high tail it to the doctor's office when this happens. That being said, your current situation is one in which I would touch base with my doc to see if we should schedule a visit to assess what may (or may not be) going on. His most likely reply would be to come in for an exam and get some bloodwork and take it from there.

Hope this helps and you feel better soon!!