Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Parents of Kids with IBD » Here we go again...?

05-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #61
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
It is called a pred burst.
It is often used in asthmatics to calm the airways( inflammation).

It can be used in Ibd but usually for "mild" stuff.

Hope its enough in your case.
DS has only had the tapering kind for his Ibd.
He has had multiple "bursts" over the years for asthma.
05-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #62
Johnnysmom
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Johnny was on a short course of prednisone with no taper but it was a very low dose for poison ivy.

We did 3/4 of a 6mp pill for about a year. It is a pain to cut every night. But if you think it is a better med for DS it really wasn't too bad.

Johnny also got an MRE about 2 weeks after his scope, Dr. didn't want to wait. I would think with DS's history and that fact that things look mild but fecal cal is high it wouldn't hurt. But I am sure the GI has good reasons. Just a thought.

Hope that short burst of Pred gets things better quick!
(((((Hugs))))))
6mp 50mg every day
Allopurinol 50mg -discontinued per new G.I. on 11/01/12
Multi Vitamin
Vitamin D3 1000mg
Prayer
05-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #63
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
We cut DS 6-mp pil into 1/4 when he was on it with allopurinol.
05-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #64
Catherine

My Support Groups:
There should regular blood tests I would expect the first one to be about a week after starting aza.

Good luck.
Small bowel to small bowel fistula

Meds: ), azathioprine 200mg, Mesalazine 1.2g x 2, seretide 250 x 2 (asthma), ventolin (as needed)

Currently no supplements.

Has previously taken Multi B, Caltrate, B12 & Iron

Prednisolone (from 30 mg 01/02/2012 to 17/06/2012, 30mg 24/10/12-28/12/12, 50mg 24/1/13-27/4/13)
05-10-2013, 09:20 PM   #65
Brian'sMom

My Support Groups:
When we did Pred it was over 6 weeks...Since pred is used to stop the flare...the wean is used so that the immune system doesn't flare again when you stop the pred. So the gradual wean is to not upset things. I think that's right but I could be wrong, anybody else? I don't have much knowledge of prednisone because our GI doesn't prescribe it much. It only worked for ds the first time. Other times he flared right thru the whole 6 weeks.

Last edited by Brian'sMom; 05-10-2013 at 09:47 PM.
05-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #66
Mehita
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Oh, the joys of pred! Already experiencing the mood swings and uncontrollable crying. Thank goodness for You Tube, stupid people and funny videos. That finally got him out of his funk and now he's back to being Superman.

On a positive note, he had a nice, regular looking BM today and is down to only two bathroom visits so far. Just two days ago he had 14 diarrhea trips, so I guess the pred is doing its (black) magic already.

So, which would be better - stopping the pred burst after this week because it is simply evil or doing a taper and being on pred for 6 weeks... yet closer to Aza kicking in? While this is somewhat trivial, all the fun end of the school year stuff is starting to happen and DS doesn't want to miss any more school. That might be a benefit of tapering, no? I'm sure our GI would go either way since he hemmed and hawed while writing the script.

I think we'll stick with the Aza for now, but his GI said we could switch to 6MP anytime we want. He'd prefer DS to be on 6MP, but also said by starting with Aza it gives us one more choice in the med hierarchy. If there are side effect, we'll just switch and make it work. It would help if DS put on a few pounds so he wouldn't be in between dosages. I'm totally open to splitting pills in halves and quarters. Nice even numbers, but thirds seems awfully tricky with a round pill.

It may be a mute point anyway. I just have this weird feeling Aza/6MP aren't going to be our wonder drugs. Absolutely no logic or reason for that, just a feeling.
- Multivitamins, Probiotics, Vit D
- Small bowel resection, Jan 2013

Last edited by Mehita; 05-12-2013 at 09:27 AM. Reason: typos
05-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #67
Farmwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Yup the love hate relationship with pred......we have it to. Grace is struggling and my first thought was oh goody let's get her back on pred and I'll have my baby back. The next thought was I hate that stuff.

I think the tapper might be a good idea but that's up to you guys.
Also on a side note ask your Pharmacist on how they cut pills. The might be able to give or show you something. We have a pill cutter. I love it!

I hope all goes well.
dx Juvenile Arthritis
(12/13/13)
dx Erthema Nodosum
(8/13/14)
Bladder and Bowel Dysfunction
(10/14/13)
Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome dx (1/26/17)
Remicade started on (9/8/14)Every 4 wks
Azathroprine started on 10/9/15
EN/EEN- since (1/12/13)
Past Meds- LDN, Humira, Pred, MTX, Sulfasalazine
05-12-2013, 05:01 AM   #68
Dexky
To save time...Ask Dusty!

My Support Groups:
Are you confident in your GI? He just seems a little wishy-washy! Maybe that's better than a god complex but I'd rather he seem a little more confident in his decisions! Let us know what you decide as to pred.

EJ dx w/ Crohn's 12/09
PSC 3/10

No more 6mp
Currently in the Humira Club
05-12-2013, 06:33 AM   #69
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hugs - we have seen both types of GIs . Once you understand what is going on
The work with you type is better at least for us.
Good luck on the pred.
I would ask the Gi what he sees as the risk for doing short vs taper for your child.
05-12-2013, 01:00 PM   #70
crohnsinct

My Support Groups:
I can only comment on our experience. Only a very slow taper worked for O while waiting for Remicade to kick in. But she didn't get any of the awful side effects so it didn't bother us. If your GI would go for a taper, why not try to give the Aza every chance to work...would hate to abandon a drug because of too agressive a withdrawel of Prednisone. Also, you want him healed! A slow taper will give him that time to heal! No back and forth if you know what I mean.
Vit d 2000IU
Multi vitamin plus iron
Calcium

Previously used - Prednisone, Prevacid, Enteral Nutrition, Methotrexate oral and injections, Folic Acid, Probiotics, Cortofoam

Daughter T dx 1/2/15 at age 11
Vitaligo, Precoscious puberty & Crohn's
Remicade
Vit D 2000IU

Previously used, Exclusive Enteral Nutrition, Methotrexate (injections and oral), Folic Acid, Entocort,IBD-AID Diet
05-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #71
Johnnysmom
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
^^^^Yeah that!

I think the less inflammation you have when you start AZA the better chance it has to work.
05-12-2013, 03:41 PM   #72
Sascot
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hope the Aza starts working asap. I can understand him not wanting to miss stuff at school, so I suppose I would be inclined to do the longer course and let him have some fun!
05-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #73
Mehita
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Are you confident in your GI? He just seems a little wishy-washy! Maybe that's better than a god complex but I'd rather he seem a little more confident in his decisions!
I attribute the wishy-washy to the fact that we're still "dating". We've only seen him twice so far so he's still figuring DS out. He strongly believes that pediatric IBD is it's own world and doesn't always fit neatly into a box so philosophically we get along quite well. He just completely won me over today by responding the the email I sent him earlier... on a Sunday no less!

GI just said we could drop to 35mg of pred tomorrow to see if that helps with the uncontrollable crying and hefty mood swings. I think I'm leaning towards a taper... get us to the end of school, add poundage, give Aza more time.

Thanks for all of your input, everyone. I got a little sentimental today thinking of all the Forum moms (and Dex!) out here and how much I appreciate your knowledge, kindness, and friendships. Happy Mother's Day!!

Last edited by Mehita; 05-12-2013 at 11:27 PM.
05-14-2013, 04:39 AM   #74
Dexky
To save time...Ask Dusty!

My Support Groups:
I attribute the wishy-washy to the fact that we're still "dating".
Great way to put it
05-16-2013, 06:54 AM   #75
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Hey Mehita, sorry for the late chime but I just wanted to raise a couple of points.

As you know, it is possible to have high doses of Pred over a short period without tapering but the tapering required for a longer course isn't just about treating the inflammation. Normally Pred is prescribed at high dose for at least 3 weeks. It would be expected that over that 3 week period most of the inflammation, if not all, would be brought under control and reduction of acute inflammation or remission is achieved. The taper has much to do with preventing steroid withdrawal/adrenal crisis as anything. When you take steroids for longer than a couple of weeks your own body's production of the hormone cortisol is suppressed. The tapering of the Pred is to allow the body to start producing the hormone again.

Re: the mild disease. I know it is difficult to comes to terms with the label mild disease and what you see happening in front of you but mild disease can be present and still complications arise. Although my children don't have stricturing disease I have been in the same situation, they have fistulising. My son was diagnosed very quickly and his disease was rated as mild to very mild and yet he developed one complication after another. Certainly not what I would have expected after receiving such a promising pathology report. In his case it obviously only took one deep ulcer to cause no end of bother. I only say this Mehita because I don't want you to get caught up in labels that can be misleading and disappointing.

Thinking of you,

Dusty. xxx
05-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #76
Mehita
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I wish I could freeze time right now. Normal poops. Good energy. Great appetite. No pains, no nausea, no vomiting, no fevers. Can we just hold steady here? Forever?

Life would be perfect if it weren't for the fact that prednisone is the source of this taste of normal life that we're experiencing.

Who was it who said, "Love pred, hate pred, love pred, hate pred"? Farmwife, maybe? That pretty much sums it all up.

Let the tapering begin...
05-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #77
Farmwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
[QUOTE=Mehita;652932]

Who was it who said, "Love pred, hate pred, love pred, hate pred"? Farmwife, maybe? That pretty much sums it all up.

QUOTE]

Yes, that was my pearly words of wisdom.
Rules on using Farmwife Quote..................
The first use will be free of charge.
The second quote will be a $1000 dollars and an act of God himself for me to say anything else smart (hush crohnsinct).

05-22-2013, 06:46 PM   #78
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
FW
05-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #79
Twiggy930
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Pred, our frenemy. Got to love/hate it.

Also taking: TuZen probiotic and following a low FODMAP diet (not very strictly).

Past Treatments: Prednisone, Flagyl, Cipro, Pentasa, exclusive EN via NG tube (6 weeks), Prevacid, Iberogast (20 drops twice a day) and high doses of vitamin B2.
05-29-2013, 07:46 PM   #80
Mehita
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
First set of labs back - CBC and hepatic panel all normal with only slightly elevated neutrophils. Pred taper is going well so far and no Aza side effects to speak of really.

Is it too soon to feel hopeful? I really want the Aza to work for... oh, a hundred years or so.

Next appt/labs are June 9th.
06-06-2013, 07:42 AM   #81
Mehita
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Last day of school and DS just went from excitedly bouncing on my bed to a gloomy, doomsday puddle of tears. Lots of "I don't know's" and still sniffling as he left for the bus. Hormones? Pred? Mad at me for making him brush his teeth a second time WITH toothpaste?

What a lousy way to start what should be a fun and happy day.
06-06-2013, 07:51 AM   #82
DanceMom
A woke up very grumpy too, wouldn't even look at me. In her case I think she is getting a cold. She's complaining of a sore throat and being tired (and the rainy windy weather certainly isn't helping). We just weaned her off her daily inhaler so I hope this cold doesn't set her back. Our poor kiddos.

Diagnoses: Immune Dysfunction, Hypogammaglobulinemia, Asthma, Allergies

Treatment: Hizentra, Flovent, Zyrtec, Cellcept
06-06-2013, 08:06 AM   #83
ChampsMom

My Support Groups:
Last day of school and DS just went from excitedly bouncing on my bed to a gloomy, doomsday puddle of tears. Lots of "I don't know's" and still sniffling as he left for the bus. Hormones? Pred? Mad at me for making him brush his teeth a second time WITH toothpaste?

What a lousy way to start what should be a fun and happy day.
Oh Mehita.... I couldn't help but laugh and think to myself that one day you both will look back on this day and laugh too... In my family it would have been the fault of having to brush a second time... that is so funny...

I hope he comes off the bus with a big smile for the Summer!!

Mom of Champ (Alex)
Dx: CD April 2010
Meds: 04/25/13 switched back to Pentasa 3,500mg/day - Lialda brought lower abdominal cramps & exhaustion); 04/05/13 switched to Lialda 1.2GM 3 pills/day verse Pentasa 3,500mg/day, prevasaid 15 mg x 1/day, elemental iron, daily vitamin, calcium w/mag D, 50,000 mg Vitamin D/week, B12, B6 supplements, Cetrizine (for sinus issues)
Prayer
Priesthood Blessings
06-06-2013, 09:12 AM   #84
Maree.
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I'm sooo jealous we've got too weeks of school to go. I hope the toothpaste incident was the low point of the day and it turned out well.
06-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #85
Jmrogers4

Yep, I've had to send them back to brush with toothpaste as well but I think I live to embarrass my kids now. It is so easy with tween/teenage boys.
On my recent chaperoning trip that was how I convinced the 7th grade girls to keep in contact with me. If they didn't I told them I would hang out with them the entire time and embarrass them.

Mom to Jack (18) dx Crohn's 2/2010
Vitamin D -2000mg
Remicade - started 1/9/14; 7.5ml/kg every 6 weeks
Centrum for Him teen multivitamin
Past meds: Imuran/Azathioprine; allopurinol; methotrexate; LDN; Prednisone; Apriso; Pentasa; EEN

Husband dx Crohn's 3/1993
currently none due to liver issues
06-06-2013, 09:27 PM   #86
DustyKat
Super Moderator

@Mehita...I hope the day ended better than it started??

@DanceMom...I hope A's day was a good one too and that she isn't coming down with a cold.

Dusty. xxx
06-07-2013, 09:23 AM   #87
Mehita
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Betty Crocker saved the day with gluten free chocolate chip cookies after school.
06-07-2013, 10:13 AM   #88
Johnnysmom
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thank you Betty Crocker!!

I am amazed at how many gluten free options there are now. How do they compare with non-glutin cookies?
06-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #89
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
gluten free just doesn't have the "Stick" so
it really depends on finding the right flour combo

adding a ton of chips also helps "melt" it together.
06-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #90
Mehita
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Let's just say Betty Crocker is convenient. Fresh out of the oven they're not bad, but after a day they get pretty crumbly. I'm not GF and think they have an odd after taste, but DS likes them. Then again he doesn't remember what "real" cookies taste like.

Just picked up Pillsbury's new gluten free cookie dough today. DS is excited to eat it directly out of the bucket. Five years ago we could hardly find a good tasting loaf of bread and now we have cookie dough. Pretty exciting stuff for us kitchen challenged folks!

Really, I do feed him healthy foods on occasion .

Crohn's Disease Forum » Parents of Kids with IBD » Here we go again...?