Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Ask the Experts » Submit a Question » [In Consideration] Info on Stem Cell Research and Crohn's

04-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #1
Ademaio

[In Consideration] Info on Stem Cell Research and Crohn's

I was informed by my GI yesterday, that I have exhausted just about all medications for treatment. She then said she would like to refer me to a Stem Cell Research Program, being done at the VA Hospital in Richmond, Virginia. She asked if it was ok to tell me about it in detail after she was able to find out if I was a candidate or not. That way I wouldn't get my hopes up or get scared away from the idea all together. I Have known my GI for close to 10 years and trust her more then I have ever trusted any other Dr. So her asking that did not bother me at all. Later after the appointment I started to look online on for information. All I have been able to find in regards to to Stem Cell research and Crohn's, is on having a Stem Cell Transplant done.

Can any of the Experts on here tell me if doing a transplant is the only Stem Cell research being done in the United States, or more so in my area (Richmond, VA)? If it's is not the only one being conducted in the US or my area, what are the other current research programs and what are involved with them?
04-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #2
Jennifer
Adminstrator

David I feel that this question may be a good one at least in regards to stem cell treatments and/or what people can do when they've exhausted their treatment options. Thoughts?
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.
04-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #3
David
Co-Founder

I'm not sure. I'll ask our panel if they have any knowledge of stem cell work rather than do a normal submission. If they do, then we'll submit it.
05-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
Ademaio

Thank you both for seeing if you can get any information on my question. Any information at this point would be a big help. If I find out anything from my GI or the person who handles the Stem Cell research, I will update my post on this thread and let you know.
05-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #5
David
Co-Founder

Thank you for the submission. We'll take it into consideration for our next batch of questions we send out.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Ask the Experts » Submit a Question » [In Consideration] Info on Stem Cell Research and Crohn's