• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Is there anybody else out there....

B

Bethany

Hi everybody,

I'm feeling pretty alone right now and I'm looking to find out if ANYBODY else has the same diagnosis as I do...my doctor says that I have Chron's disease located in my stomach, and possibly spreading to my esophagus. I was actually diagnosed about 4 years ago, but I've been suffering from variable symptoms since I was a teenager (at least 14 years ago now...maybe even longer). 4 years ago when the symptoms (heartburn/reflux, frequent vomiting (2-3 times per week), horrifying belching, diarrhea, and stomach pain) got so bad, I finally went to a gastroenterologist and had the full work up with a diagnosis. The intestines were completely clear, as was my esophagus, at the time. I was told that Chron's mostly affecting the stomach was rare (<5% of Chron's patients), but it was less severe, if managed well, than colon related Chrons. He gave me some meds (Entacort) and I immediately was kicked into remission. Then...I didn't follow up with my doctor because I moved and was symptom free for 3 years (I ignored it basically and pretended that it didn't exist). I got pregnant and felt better than ever...no morning sickness, heartburn or anything. After my baby was born, I continued to feel great up until he was about 15 months old (a year ago now). Once again, I entered into a flare-up, worse than ever. I was put on prednisone, it helped. I stopped, it flared, I took it again, stopped, flared again, and then took yet another course. I went through another gastroscopy to find that I now have ulcers in my esophagus, as well as tons of ulceration in my stomach, but still nothing intestine related. My doctor is strongly suggesting that I try some heavy duty immunosuppressants (humira or methotrexate), although he says he's not so sure how this will work with my type of Chron's, since he's never tried it before...I've been avoiding this though, because I am desperate to have another baby and I know I can't take these while pregnant. I figured, I'd just go ahead, get pregnant, have the baby and in 9 months be able to start the meds...afterall, with baby #1, I got pregnant on the first shot, and the same with a pregnancy that I lost prior to having my son. So, I just found out today that once again...9 months later of timing my cycle, ovulation tests, vitamin supplementation...and continuing Chron's flare up...I'm not pregnant. I have no doubt that this is due to my Chron's, but I don't know what to do now. I just set up an appointment with a naturopath, which I am hoping will be my solution, at least for the short term. I'm feeling very down tonight, I think for the first time since my diagnosis (4 years ago). I can't stand trying and failing to feel better and then compounded with trying and failing to get pregnant. I work in healthcare and I am very into researching everything on the internet, but I'm very frustrated because I can find NOTHING on the internet about gastro-esophageal chron's. Nor have I ever met or talked to anybody who has it...is there anybody out there?

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Hi Bethany and welcome! You don't have to feel alone now that you have found us.
I do know that a girl on here just had a baby (Rosemarie) and she was on Humira during her pregnancy (I think it was Humira - could have been Remicade). If you are in a flare, it might be better to treat it rather than put a pregnancy in jeopardy.
Good luck with your naturopath appt. Let us know what he/she does for you.
Hope you feel better!

soupdragon69

ele mental leprechaun
I started out with crohns in my ileum but they are thinking I have oesophagus/stomach problems now with reflux and problems swallowing/things getting stuck..

So no you arent alone!! ((hugs))

Have you had a look at the US Crohns website? The UK one is called NACC if you want to google it even though you are over the pond from me! ;-)

Glad you finally got a diagnosis after all you have been through, its half the battle knowing what is wrong.

Keep asking Bethany until you are happy or more content with the support and answers you get. Its YOUR body and you know what you want! Each of us is entitled to appropriate care.

What field do you work in on the healthcare side? Naturally inquisitive is a good thing but you know well to ensure that it is accurate and valid info!

Hope your naturopath helps - be aware some things could clash with conventional meds etc.

Looking forward to seeing you around. ((hugs))

B

Bethany

Thank you so much everybody for your support. I really appreciate hearing other people's stories. To answer your question, soupdragon: I am a physical therapist and it IS so hard to find out what is real and what is garbage when researching the net. I'm skeptical about just about everything I read (maybe that's better than being too gullible), but then it makes me wonder...what IS the right thing to do? I'm hoping I figure out that answer for me soon!

soupdragon69

ele mental leprechaun
Bethany I am a cardio thoracic critical care nurse thats why I asked! ;-)

I agree it is better to be skeptical than gullible! Each of us needs to take time to learn to listen to our bodies and that is hard when you are trying to work out what is "normal" for you too!!

Keep asking questions as I said earlier. You will get there in the end honey. ((hugs))

I am basically pretty health besides the CD but I swore I was having a heart attack TWICE! My primary made me feel like a idiot and said with my blood pressure I would live to 100. Well...I was not crazy because I have Esophageal spasms. They can feel just like a heart attack. I take one prevacid in the morning and one at bed. Not helping yet still have chest pain and getting on horrible burping fits.

hey there bethany.
yup i have some problems with my esophagus too, but not as extensive as yours. ive had acid reflux for years and prevacid seems to keep that at bay.
more recently i developed ulcers all down there, confirmed by endoscopy.
youre not alone!
and welcome :)

I don't have ulcers in my stomach or esophagus, but I do have inflammation. I'm inflamed from my esophogus straight through to my colon! Woo hoo. Hope you find the answers you're looking for and good luck with a pregnancy. Remember though: your health should come first. Can't have a healthy pregnancy if your not a healthy mommy. :eek:)