• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What constitutes as a clear soup

So im doing my second bowel prep in a month next week for my capsule endoscopy and last time it was hell not eating! in my instructions it says i can have clear soup? anyone know what soup falls under this catagory?

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Clear broths (like chicken broth, beef broth, etc) were allowed when I did prep. Nothing like cream-based soup nor tomato soup were allowed, and nothing in the soup (no meat, noodles, etc). The last time I prepped, my hubby made chicken soup in the crock pot. I had the broth in the evening while I was prepping, and he ate the chicken. That worked out pretty well, and homemade broth is so much better than store-bought.

Good luck with your prep and capsule endoscopy!

rygon

yeh I stick to home made chicken stock or beef stock. I also have lucazade for a drink and boiled sweets (just not red/purple ones)

nogutsnoglory

I was not allowed ensure during any preps. Clear broth bouillon (chicken, beef, veg), jello, ices and gatorade (no red). I think black coffee and tea without milk. You should closely follow your instructions because the last thing you want is to prep and be told you cannot have the procedure.

Oh lots of good ideas!!!! I'm gonna stock up on lucozade and lemonade! The nurse didn't say anything about jelly but she did say if you see through I can have it as long as its not red or black!

Thanks!!!!!

CLEAR Ensure - it's new and not a thick drink but clear drink. Comes in peach ;-)
I didn't want someone to think the regular drink.

Been googling it and it looks good! Might see if mum and uncle are doing a trip to the US base anytime soon!! :D

PsychoJane

Is the Ensure clear, actually clear? I know I tried the Boost Breeze and I would not dare to take that while prepping because the colouring is so intense, it goes out (ileostomy) same color it got in in shades of orange to red, so not quite convinced of its use for the situation. I wonder if the ensure clear is better on that aspect?

Here they allow: broth, sprite/7up, apple/white cranberries/white grape juices, tea and coffee (wo milk), light colour gelatins and vanilla boost/ensure.

Well, tried the clear peach flavored - idk but one sip was all I could do. On a scale of yum to gagging this just didn't work for me. Gagged me but not blowing through the nose like the clean out kit TG! I have highly sensitive taste buds.
I might try this blended with a banana and plenty of other stuff to mask the vitamin taste.

Everyones taste buds are different. They might work better for some of you.

XO

The advice sheet I was given said the only clear soups I could have were bouillon and consommé (I think consommé is actually made from bouillon?). They were disgusting! I couldn't drink them, and I can't stand jelly (jello in the US) or lucozade, so I was really stuck. Even after a day without food, I couldn't eat them. I ate glacier mints, I think they were the only thing on the list I liked.

I also had some things that were not clear liquids, and it didn't cause any problems with my test.

I wish I had read this before I did mine! I had chicken soup (the creamy kind) thinking that was okay? That said, my colonoscopy went well

And I drank my prep straight.. Worst. taste. ever.