• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Any First Responders with CD or UC?

I am about to enter fire academy in a little over two weeks and am currently in remission with Crohn's. I do not know anyone locally who has a similar health situation and is a first responder. I was wondering if any of you on here have or know of experiences in the field dealing with the disease/or have any tips?

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Welcome to the 'family'!

I have been involved in Emergency Services in one form or another since 1989.....from a volunteer firefighter to EMT (both volunteer and paid), fire/police/EMS dispatcher and for the past 11 years I work for the NYS Office of Fire Prevention and Control - which is the equivilant of the State Fire Marshal. I know a local FF here in Albany who has CD - he has been on the job for quite a few years now.

There are some other members here who work in different areas of emergency services too.....

The main thing is to take care of yourself and keep an eye on any symptoms, not letting htem get too bad before seeking treatment. I used to know where every 'clean' toilet was in my coverage areas too.....

Good luck with the academy - are you on the firehouse.com forums by chance?

Thanks for your personal input, I really appreciate any info I can get! Thank you for the luck, I am very much looking forward to it. I have lurked on firehouse for about 3 mos. reading as much as I can. The probie forum has been great for getting my nerves in check. I really should sign up on there, probably will tonight now ;)

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
You are very welcome! If you have any job-specific questions I can try to help too - fee free to send me a pm...

the FH forums can be really good - I used to be on there a lot more, been a little busy lately...I have the same user name there, in case you see me posting! I have actually met (in person!) a couple of the old-timers there...but don't let them know I called them old! lol.....

I was wondering if any of you on here have or know of experiences in the field dealing with the disease/or have any tips?
Interesting question. I was a First Responder/EMT from about 1981 to 1985, and then did some stuff with the Red Cross for a few years after that. I didn't know it at the time, but I probably had my UC back then, but it was mild enough back then that it didn't particuarly impact my volunteering.

Good luck with the academy.

Thanks again and thank you both for your service. This sounds corny but in my heart I know I'll make it through without issues. I was drawn to fire particularly because after Uncle Sam turned me away from joining the Navy I finished my bachelors and wanted to serve others in some way while challenging myself. I have never been in remission before since diagnosis and want to find out what I really am all about. Pasobuff I will definitely be hitting you up with any questions that come up!

Update since I haven't been on in a long time. I completed Firefighter level 1 and 2 certs. Luckily my stomach held up great and the few iffy mornings I had imodium pills in the glovebox which got me through the 9 hour days no problem. Overall, I feel like a lot of it was mind of matter only because I am in remission. During a flare none of this would of been possible but I am happy I at least was able to accomplish something so physical while I am in good health. Thanks to those of you who responded to this post previously, it was good to hear from fellow "sufferers" it meant/means a lot to me.

Congrats on completing the academy! I'm a volunteer firefighter myself and the flares made it difficult sometimes. However last march I had a perforation and ended up getting an ileostomy which should be getting reversed soon. However with the bag I've had to go on a driver only status.

Hope all goes well for you