Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » SCD and Paleo Diets » Supplements and Weight Gaining on SCD

05-09-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
Ash0916

Supplements and Weight Gaining on SCD

Hi all

Looking for advice on what supplements I can take while trying to integrate the SCD diet. I'm recently diagnosed with crohns, and only went to get checked out because I was losing a lot of weight way to fast. I'm 6'2 currently 170lbs, dropped to there from 210 in 6 weeks. I've always been athletic, so I am healthy in the 190lbs area. I've heard some good things about the SCD diet and the advantages/relief it has given some people. That said I know it has to be followed very strictly, so I'm looking to switch out my current vitamins for "legal" supplements. I would also like to find a way to replace creatine and protein shakes, but with something that gives me the same result. Below is what I currently am taking

Mens one-a-day
Finest Natural vitamin C 500mg
Nature Made Triple Omega 3-6-9
Phillips Colon Health Probiotic
Muscle Milk Chocolate Protein shake
Body Fortress Fruit Punch Creatine
Natures Bounty Green Tea Extract 315 mg x2

Thanks for the help!

Spencer
05-09-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
amrycrohns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I know nothing of the SCD diet, I have tried Paleo a few times and failed. I can relate to you that I am usually 225 ish and currently struggling to stay 180.

They do have a Paleo Protien that may also be acceptable on SCD, is creatine monohydrate not SCD safe? It's found in meat, I think issue with most creatines and SCD and Paleo diet is the Sugar added to Creatine.

Here is link to Paleo Protien http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/mh...o-protein.html
05-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
bobisacrohny

My Support Groups:
I would get rid of the chocolate and green tea because of the caffeine unless you know it doesn't give you any symptoms.
05-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #4
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
My son, E, uses these SCD legal multi vitamins.

http://www.amazon.com/Freeda-SCD-Mul...a+scd+vitamins

He also takes an SCD legal probiotic since we do not use the yogurt (because of dairy sensitivities.
Enteral Nutrition
05-10-2013, 12:45 AM   #5
kel
Forum Monitor

I don't see how creatine would be against scd rules at all.
05-10-2013, 05:41 AM   #6
amrycrohns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I don't see how creatine would be against scd rules at all.
Well I wouldn't think straight creatine is. However most of the popular creatine supplements have sugar. Cell Mass, Cell Tech and the other various major brands.
05-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #7
CrohniePilot

My Support Groups:
If it were me i wouldn't be worried about shedding weight initially with the scd diet. I lost 30 lbs going on it, although much of that was during sickness prior. However, i feel great, so i couldn't care less what the scale says.

I would be more concerned with adequate nutrition and achieving remission. Just my 2 cents.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » SCD and Paleo Diets » Supplements and Weight Gaining on SCD