Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Cimzia/Certolizumab » Leaking after prepping syringe

05-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #1
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Leaking after prepping syringe

Anyone else notice a little extra liquid coming out after flicking to let the air bubble release? Sometimes it starts gushing out and I quickly inject and it has some watery residue on the sides of where I injected. I hope all the medicine is getting in there but I think they put a little extra to take into account for prepping.
05-24-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
Crohn's Mom

My Support Groups:
I'll have to ask my daughter about this when she gets home this evening. I don't recall her ever mentioning it, but I'll check and see what she says
and Austin (18)
DX: Crohn's 7/2013
05-24-2013, 08:53 AM   #3
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I know you need to give it a little flick and push to get the air bubble out but it doesn't stop seeping after and I rush to inject.
05-24-2013, 09:41 AM   #4
SarahBear

My Support Groups:
I've never been on Cimzia, but something similar did happen to me occasionally with methotrexate injections. It would leak after releasing the air bubble, but I don't remember it ever gushing out. Could it be a defect in the needles? Has it happened frequently, or is it possible that it's only happened with syringes from the same batch?

Sarah.
Diagnosed with Crohn's disease 12/6/08.
Have taken: Prednisone, 6mp, methotrexate, Pentasa.
Currently waiting for a new medication!

Check out the Crohn's forum chat!

05-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #5
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
They were part of the same batch. I will need to see if it happens again with the next injection. It was a fast drip but not gushing to the point that I only had like 2 sec to inject.
05-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #6
Essieluv

Hmm, my nurse said to leave the air bubble in. Just tip the syringe until the air bubble is at the top, near the handle, and inject. She said the air bubble wouldn't hurt if you injected it, and it acts a sealant to keep the medicine in the syringe. Maybe you should leave the air bubble? Just a suggestion, if your nurse said to release the air then I'm sure it's fine I hope you don't continue to have this problem, I'm sure it's annoying!
05-25-2013, 04:33 PM   #7
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
My nurse did say to release the bubble and that its ok if a few drops come out. She said they prep them with a little extra for that reason.
06-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #8
silvermander

My Support Groups:
I don't have to fill my syringes, they come already filled, but I was also told to get the air bubble out.
New abscess, named Albert! 7/7/12
Prednisone - Way too much & never again!
Cimzia - Started 5/20/11, hoping for the best. Scared that it won't work, like everything else.
Humira/Remicade/Imuran/6MP/Flagyl/ect - Been there, done that & really should get the t-shirt!
06-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #9
Essieluv

So this time I released the air bubble, and did have some leakage from the syringe. But it wasn't a ton, so I didn't worry about it. I figure they must at least know that this is going to happen, right?
06-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #10
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I know my nurse said they put a little more in there so I guess they are taking the spillage into account.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Cimzia/Certolizumab » Leaking after prepping syringe