• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fun with colonoscopy prep! Is it ok to Just Drink Half?

lol. so as the title suggest I am currently in the middle of prepping (we all know how fun this process is) and I just got to thinking how funny it is that everyone you talk to about it either knows someone who has done it and is thus an expert, or just doesn't understand why you might not want to leave your home in the middle of it. I know that everyone is just trying to be supportive- and im most likely just grumpy because of lack of food and the gross taste of the bowel prep- but sometimes you have to laugh about it! anywho- long night still to go.
as a side note they gave me Golyte this time (which Ive never taken, usually they have me do a few over the counter things) and its 128oz (4liters) which there is no way I will finish because it keeps making me nauseous. Ive been to the bathroom numerous times though and things are getting shall we say... watery... I expect I'll be able to drink about half of the golyte, before I give it up. any ideas if this will be OK?

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
The most important thing about bowel prep is that you need to be running clear (or close enough to it, try to be clear though) which means that your output is about the same color as your input.

Golytle really is too much liquid. Last time I prepped with it I threw up. Try to get it down though and chase it with other fluids to give yourself a break from the taste. I usually mixed it with Sprite or some other clear soda. Best prep I ever used is Suprep. There's very little to drink and the flavor is nowhere near as bad. I even got to sleep that night rather than going to the bathroom all night long. Also you're supposed to do the other half of the prep just like all preps ask you to do. I haven't done the other half of the prep since I was a kid because my mom made me. Once a nurse told me that all I needed to do was run clear, then I could stop drinking it. Every scope has been perfectly cleaned out ever since.

As said above, the prep solution is used to get your bowel "clean", what should come out after 4 liters is just a camomile like liquid, preferable without any flakes. If your bowel isn't clean, your doc might not be able to see how your colon and lower smaller intestine does.