• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New on Humira! HELP!

hi, I'm 16 and just last summer I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease. I was in the hospital for a few weeks and have been there dozens of time in the last few months. I had surgery to have my ileum and part of my cecum removed. All of this was really nothing. I was on asacol and prednisone, then remicade but I've had such terrible side affects that unfortunately, I was switched to Humira two weeks ago. Today is my second dose of two shots and it is TERRIBLE. any tips on minimizing the painful burning sensation for the 10 seconds during the injection? I HATE Humira but I can't change to a different medication. HELP :(

Hey!
Take the injection out of the fridge for like 15 minutes before you inject to warm it up a bit.
I also ice the injection site for ages before hand until completely numb which stops a lot of the pain.
Making sure you have grabbed a good chunk of fat is also good as it going in to muscle is way painful.
Good luck!!! Xxxxx

I've been on Humira for at least 2 years and I still hate taking the shots, but what helps me is knowing that the short period of pain when injecting is worth the relief from the disease. It sucks that we have to take these shots, but I have hope for better medicine so that one day we wont have to do this. I believe one day there will be a cure. Try to have something to distract you while taking the shots. I put on the TV and try paying attention to that when injecting. Take a deep breath, don't think about the pain and just inject. It will be over before quickly. I wish you good luck and I hope you get better quickly.

Chad

Do you use the pen or syringe?

I have used both and let me tell you the pen is much worse for me.
You can control how fast or slow to inject with the syringe.

I hope you find what works for you quickly!

You will find a lot of information and support here

Lauren

Thank you everyone for the advice! Playing music and squeezing a bigger piece of fat harder helped A LOT. thank you for your quick replies and good luck with your own cases! :)