• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Cheese?

I have been lactose intolerant for several years, so I have had to learn a lot about what I can and can't eat. I have always been able to eat aged cheese (a doc explained that aging cheese takes the lactose out of it), so I've been a big fan of sharp cheddar, parmesan, aged swiss, and other cheeses. HOWEVER. Last night my hubs brought home some gorgonzola crumbles for me (he knows I love it). I put about 1/8 cup on my chicken and rice. About three hours later my belly pain came back, and this morning it is still here. :yrolleyes: Is there something else about cheese that could be causing my symptoms, besides lactose? I didn't eat anything else that should have caused it.:confused2:

On the plus side, I was able to go this morning and it was pretty normal! First day in weeks without constipation or diarrhea.

nogutsnoglory

Casein in cheese can be inflammatory. If you are normally fine with cheese it might not be the cheese causing the issue or maybe this kind doesn't sit well. There are so many variables its hard to know.

The only reason I don't think it's the casein affecting me is because I am fine with both homemade yogurt and kefir milk - if it was the casein, wouldn't both of those cause problems as well? So maybe you are right and it is this kind..... <sigh> it's frustrating not to know why certain foods trigger and others don't.

Thank you so much for that information! That makes total sense. It mentions Cheddar cheese as well, which would explain why I can eat small amounts of that if it's aged too. Good to know because it can get very confusing trying to figure out what has what in it and will cause problems.
I think you've also helped me figure out why my heart rate has dropped into the 40s and my blood pressure is lower. I've always worked out regularly and had a heart rate in the 50s, so adding kefir regularly, if it has enhanced my body's athletic reaction, would explain it.
thanks so much!