Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Questions about surgery

05-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
MeganGeddy

Questions about surgery

hello!
I'm coming to the end of my third hospital stay brought on by reintroducing food (after 6 weeks of NPO/24 hour TPN infusion) that caused severe inflammation and irritation of a stricture that I have from previous fistulae, abscesses and phlegmon.
Right now, my doctors have been giving us information about biologics like Remicade and Humira or the option of surgery. if i choose surgery, I'll come back after 2 weeks of bowel rest to calm the inflammation and I will have a resection of the ileum. how long does it take to recover from this? how soon can i eat?? (even more, how soon can i eat the foods i've really been missing for the past few months?). overall, what do you think of this surgery?
i will of course ask my surgeon these questions also but i wanted to know if you've had any experience!
also, if given the choice would you do Remicade/Humira over this resection procedure?
Thanks
05-19-2013, 10:31 PM   #2
PsychoJane

My Support Groups:
Hi Megan,

Let see, I don't exactly know how much time it could be for that specific surgery but I've had colectomy after which I have been quite slow on reintegrating various food (but that was from fear, it was my first surgery). I had my terminal ileum removed last year and I was able to start eating normally within about 2 weeks post surgery. I don't know how long it may be with resection only as everything might be more fragile than having an ostomy formed (that is what I have). It is possible that its gonna be a little longer than what I just mentioned for my surgery and hopefully someone will give you a more related advice!

For what it is of Remicade and Humira, it really depends of your overall condition. If the disease is very localized then the surgery might be a better option (from my point of view) even though it involves a whole recovery process. Some people respond extremely well to medication which can greatly delay the need for surgery.

Currently taking: Omega-3, D-3, med-free for the time being.
~~Oh! n sorry if what I write seems strange at times, English is not my main language!~~

You'd like to chat and feel facebook would ease this point,
send me a private message and i'll do so =)
11-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #3
yellowbird

Hi MeganGeddy
Just wondered how you got on as I am now asking the same questions now, Humira or operation? The drug really worries me and I thought maybe a resection of the ileum would be my first call, but on reading many on this forum saying operation to be very last resort I am now confused as Humira's side affects to lifetime quality of life scares me. Hope you are feeling much better now & can indulge in those foods a bit now!

Thanks

46yrs old currently taking 1000mg Pentasa, 100mg Azathioprine, 20mg prednisone
11-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
Crohn's gal since 1989

My Support Groups:
Hi Megan, I had a resection at the terminal ileum in September and they were feeding me regular food 2-3 days post op. I was released on my fifth day post op. I took the advice I found on the forum and took it easy and ate a modified low residue diet for the first couple weeks. I've been eating whatever I want ever since!

Diagnosed 1989
Asacol,Pentasa and Entocort (didn't work in 2005 and didn't work now)
Done with Prednisone 09/07/13
Azathioprine (Imuran)150mg no longer working
Developed allergic reaction to Humira injection!
Currently trying Remicade with Methotrexate
Still trying to get into remission!

Ileocecol resection surgery
September 14th, 2013.
55cm small bowel removed!

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Questions about surgery