Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » What kind of cooking oil should I buy???

05-21-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
strawberrys78

My Support Groups:
What kind of cooking oil should I buy???

I'm pretty sure canola oil is causing me problems.. I am going grocery shopping now - what type of cooking oil should I buy? I've heard that both coconut oil and extra virgin olive oil are good... what kind should I buy??
Diagnosed with Crohn's Disease May 2013 after a 2 yr battle. Colonoscopy Dec 2012/MRI Apr 2013. Partial Obstruction discovered Jan 2014, 6 day hospital stay. 30 CM of small/a couple of inches of large intestine removed in laparascopic surgery Sept 10/14 due to not responding to medication.

Currently taking:
Remicade

Previously taken:
Asacol
Pentasa (hair loss)
Cipro (allergy)
Morphine
Flagyl
Imuran (Reaction)
Prednisone
Ranitidine
Atasol 30
Tramacet
Toradol
05-21-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Personally I have issues with any type of coconut product, so I would go for olive oil (which I have never had a problem with). If you can find small & affordable bottles, maybe give both a try and see how you do. I've heard good things about coconut oil, but some of us just cannot digest coconut products and I'm one of those unlucky ones.
05-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
Amy2

My Support Groups:
I use organic high heat safflower oil for frying, organic extra virgin olive oil in a lot of things, esp. low or no heat. And organic virgin coconut oil, where we won't notice the taste.
05-21-2013, 09:57 PM   #4
strawberrys78

My Support Groups:
Thank you guys, I only use oil when I cook eggs or ground beef (which is rare since it usually makes me flare) and sometimes with chicken.. I went ahead and bought extra virgin olive oil, hopefully it works for me!
05-21-2013, 10:14 PM   #5
ryansbronco

My Support Groups:
May be a nonstick pan. I've seen a few online that say you cant even burn an egg on them
05-22-2013, 12:36 AM   #6
hugh

My Support Groups:
I'm pretty sure canola oil is causing me problems.. I am going grocery shopping now - what type of cooking oil should I buy? I've heard that both coconut oil and extra virgin olive oil are good... what kind should I buy??
eggs cooked in coconut oil are a bit weird. (or gross,depending on your point of view)
I'd work my way through paleo fats (including ghee) -(fats are solid at room temp, and oils are liquid) and see what you like.
Olive oil should not be heated to a high temp as it oxidises

Fats Everyone Should Avoid:
Processed oils
Margarines and spreads
Partially hydrogenated oils
Hydrogenated oils
Shortenings
Industrial seed oils (canola, cottonseed, corn, safflower, sunflower, soybean, peanut, grapeseed)

http://autoimmune-paleo.com/?tag=fat-guide
05-22-2013, 03:03 AM   #7
Trevor

I must be strange because I like eggs with coconut oil. Ghee is great but I find the smell took a bit of getting use to.

When I have the time and resources I like to save and use beef tallow and pork lard from cooking but it's pretty time consuming to do so. I haven't looked too hard but if you can get rendered animal fats that would be a pretty safe option too.

- Are you looking for a new treatment option for your Crohn's disease? If so, I suggest you look into the ongoing clinical trial by Qu Biologics for their SSI treatment. Click here for more information or to help spread the word.
05-22-2013, 06:55 AM   #8
rygon

My Support Groups:
I wouldnt use extra virgin oil for cooking as it has a very low cooking point (causing it to spit and smoke, and possibly catch on fire). It will burn to quickly and loose all its nutrients in doing so. It is far too expensive as well for cooking.
Saying that, it is great for drizzling over salads and is very good for you.

I use normal olive oil for light frying, but it does have a strong taste to it, and again not good for high temp frying. For cooking in Woks I use peanut oil as it has a high cooking temp and neutral flavour.

I also use ghee, mainly for curries, and it has a lovely rich flavour and is supposed to be quite good for you
05-22-2013, 07:52 AM   #9
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I mostly use olive oil for cooking. I have read mixed reports of whether that's good at high temp. I know coconut oil can withstand high temp but I'm not a fan of things tasting coconut-y.
05-22-2013, 08:23 AM   #10
rygon

My Support Groups:
I find olive oil is good for mince, chicken etc, but if you are using high temps for steaks or stir frying it smokes, spits and flames too much. Most of my cooking is with olive oil as well.

Im much the same as you NGNG about the coconut oil. Ive never tred it but expect it to be quite sweet

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » What kind of cooking oil should I buy???