• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello

B

bjcaldwe

hello

Well here goes my virgin post lol. I was diagnosed last friday, but I am not unfamilar with crohns. My dad has been dealing with it for years. I guess I really do not have the shock of it cause I have expected it. I never really had the pain etc. But was always aware of things that would upset my system and avoided them the best I could. I am easily stressed out ( working on that ;P) and I guess between work, a death in the family, holidays all that mess I finally set it off. I started off thinking I was having kidney stones again. Which is not uncommon for me. I pass a small one every couple of years. I then ended up severely constipated. I went to the a quick care place and then said I was dehydrated and sent me on my way. I finally got fed up and found a normal dr. I had not had one in 8 years or so, so it was probably over due. After some quick checks, I was given stuff for constipation. Well, it did nothing. In the mean time I just really was not eating cause, well I was all stopped up and nothing was coming out. I finally went to the ER cause the Dr didnt seem like he wanted to even talk to me and they started running tests. So I did the normal stuff, pee in a cup, bleed in a tube, and so on. They then gave me a ct scan and found that I had a section of intesting that was inflamed and pissing off my colon and ureter <sp?> for my left kidney. They put me on cipro and flagyl and setup an appointment for a GI the next day. He put me on pentasa horse pills and prednisone in a stepped pack from high to low dose. I took my last prednisone today, and I am expecting some more lab work results back at any time. I appreciate everyone that has put your stories out there so others can learn and help develop themselves a game plan.

Welcome and hope you find some relief from the medication you've been given. It sounds like you have a good idea of what to expect since your dad has had it for awhile. That should put you a little ahead of the curve than a lot of us who had never heard of crohn's when we were diagnosed. But I'm sure that doesn't make it any easier.

Welcome! I just joined yesterday and I love to read everyone's stories. I have actually learned more here then going to web md, talking to my doctor or doing web searches in general.
My mom also has crohn's but was diagnosed after it had already done too much damage. I don't ever expect to be where she is today with all of the new medications available. I do worry though that some of the medication can do more damage then CD. Again welcome!

B

bjcaldwe

Thank you for the welcomes. I hope I can contribute useless information, cause I have learned alot already.

Maybe my account wont get erased again too lol. I have read that is something that has been happening.

hopefully your account will be safe now Bj, i remember the great crash of 2008 when a few of us lost our accounts as well:( was a sad time.

welcome to the forums!

Hi,I'm new to this forum too.Just when you said about the horse tablets.I was on them for years and hated taking them,choked on them aa few time cos theyre not even coated.Told GI and he prescribed me Pentasa granules,they're tiny beige granules and 1 sachet is equal to 2 tablets.Found them so much easier to take.Just thought I would let you know.Hope your'e feeling better.