• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Coming out about IBD: transferable skills from the GLBT population in the UK

nogutsnoglory

"As part of a UK study to identify the needs of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered (GLBT) people, we aimed to identify how ‘out’ participants were about their sexual identity and their IBD, and to determine whether they use similar techniques to handle both pieces of information. Previous researchers have drawn parallels between coming out about sexual orientation and coming out about chronic illness [1,2]. This original work explores both issues amongst the same population."

Full report: https://www.ecco-ibd.eu/publication...-transgender-glbt-population-in-the160uk.html

nogutsnoglory

"GLBT people use the same techniques for coming out about IBD that are used to come out about sexual identity. GLBT people are “out” to the same degree about IBD and sexual identity, but are more out about IBD to family than in work or religious domains, and more out about sexual identity to family (except father) and work peers than to work supervisors and religious contacts. The same methods are used to come out about IBD and sexual identity."

I am not so sure I agree with the correlation. I think there is definitely a coming out process with both but I wouldn't say I use the same techniques. When coming out to someone new I assess safety, whether it will jeopardize our relationship and if I trust them. With IBD I'm not worried about safety but I definitely consider the impact on relationship, particularly with an employer, colleague or romantic interest.

My being out about being gay and having IBD is not on equal par. Far more people know I'm gay than having Crohn's. I think id be fully open about my disease if I was in a committed relationship or married but I'm afraid to tarnish my reputation as long as I'm single. Nobody wants to date Mr. Sickly.

It's an interesting correlation nonetheless and a fun topic of conversation to explore.