Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Disability/Unemployment/Financial Difficulties Support Group

09-20-2014, 10:56 PM   #301
Ann Morgan
stelarjess:

It probably wouldn't cost you anything to just consult with a law firm to see if they would take your case. I have not had surgery either. According to my law firm,medical records were the key to winning a case. I had been seeing A LOT of different doctors at the time that I filed again and I signed medical releases for all of them ( physical health doctors and psychiatric doctors/hospitals ). I have Ulcerative Colitis, but as we all know that this disease just does not affect one part of our body - - if effects every part of our body and every day of our life ( physically AND mentally ). Don't give up. Lot's of folks here have some great advice and insight. PS: I have fatigue, anxiety, depression and joint pain too. I have seen ten different kinds of doctors since March 2014. I haven't worked since 2009.

I first applied for SSD online all by myself. I was denied shortly after that. Then I gave
up and did not appeal. I figured that was the end of it. I gave up.

Then in 2011 I applied again, but through a law firm.
I knew I was sick, I knew I couldn't work any longer.
When I did apply for SSD through a law firm, they collected tons of medical records from all of my doctors. It took me 21 months to get a hearing in front of a judge ( although some folks here on this site never even had a hearing and they got approved ). The judge decided in my favor right in the courtroom. Not only that, but I received back-dated benefits and I qualified for Medicare right away. I started collecting benefits in January 2013. Everyone has a different story with different results.

Don't give up.
09-21-2014, 12:12 AM   #302
Polaris

My Support Groups:
stelarjess:

It probably wouldn't cost you anything to just consult with a law firm to see if they would take your case. I have not had surgery either. According to my law firm,medical records were the key to winning a case. I had been seeing A LOT of different doctors at the time that I filed again and I signed medical releases for all of them ( physical health doctors and psychiatric doctors/hospitals ). I have Ulcerative Colitis, but as we all know that this disease just does not affect one part of our body - - if effects every part of our body and every day of our life ( physically AND mentally ). Don't give up. Lot's of folks here have some great advice and insight. PS: I have fatigue, anxiety, depression and joint pain too. I have seen ten different kinds of doctors since March 2014. I haven't worked since 2009.

I first applied for SSD online all by myself. I was denied shortly after that. Then I gave
up and did not appeal. I figured that was the end of it. I gave up.

Then in 2011 I applied again, but through a law firm.
I knew I was sick, I knew I couldn't work any longer.
When I did apply for SSD through a law firm, they collected tons of medical records from all of my doctors. It took me 21 months to get a hearing in front of a judge ( although some folks here on this site never even had a hearing and they got approved ). The judge decided in my favor right in the courtroom. Not only that, but I received back-dated benefits and I qualified for Medicare right away. I started collecting benefits in January 2013. Everyone has a different story with different results.

Don't give up.
Thank you Ann, this gave me a lot of hope. I've decided to consult with a lawyer before I do anything else.
09-23-2014, 07:24 PM   #303
Polaris

My Support Groups:
I'm SO relieved. I applied for state disability (CA) last week, and it's already been approved! My doctor put me off work until December, although hopefully I can return to my job before then. I was not expecting this to go through so quickly.. I'm beyond thankful.
09-23-2014, 07:26 PM   #304
sarahh5397

My Support Groups:
question for people in the U.S. who have applied for disability or social security benefits I have my medical evaluation in a week what exactly should i expect from seeing this doctor? most of the diagnosis is internal and if meds are working and I have my humira shot the day before does that mean blood work will come back normal? obviously that wouldn't help my case any advice or personal experiences would help thanks
09-23-2014, 08:10 PM   #305
DJW
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Stelarjess, that's great to hear.

Visit Crohn's and Colitis Canada:
http://www.crohnsandcolitis.ca/site/...tis_Canada.htm

Living in Ontario with no drug benefits?

Trillium Drug Program:
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/publi..._trillium.aspx

Dave
09-25-2014, 12:34 AM   #306
juggys69

My Support Groups:
question for people in the U.S. who have applied for disability or social security benefits I have my medical evaluation in a week what exactly should i expect from seeing this doctor? most of the diagnosis is internal and if meds are working and I have my humira shot the day before does that mean blood work will come back normal? obviously that wouldn't help my case any advice or personal experiences would help thanks
You mean the evaluation done by a state doctor ? Stress to him or her how you feel and do on your worse days, and then rate how you feel on this particular day that you are seeing him/her. Thats really all you can do during the state exam, sounds sadistic, but hope you are having a bad day on the day of your exam.
09-25-2014, 07:51 PM   #307
sarahh5397

My Support Groups:
kind of what I was thinking too was sort of hoping I'm having a really bad day when I go see him! lol
10-01-2014, 08:33 PM   #308
Ann Morgan

My advice would be to never lie. You just have to be

careful about how you answer the questions. A few

years back my physical exam took about 15 minutes.

How can they come to a conclusion about anything in

that amount of time ? I also have mental health issues

and THAT evaluation took all day long ! I don't get it.

I also had another evaluation done, recommended but not

required by my attorney, by a "private" doctor that works

with my attorney. Basically he was a somewhat retired,

doctor that spent an acceptable amount of time on my

evaluation and he seemed to be asking me all of the

right questions ( for my physical and mental health issues ).

I DID pay him a good amount of money. I am not sure

how much his contribution made to the judges decision

but it was my decision to spend the money just in case

his evaluation DID have some leverage. The most important

part is that I won my case.
10-01-2014, 08:36 PM   #309
Ann Morgan
Sarah: I believe what won my case were all of the medical records that my attorney collected from ALL of my doctors. I mean ALL of my doctors. All of my doctors treating me for physical illnesses and mental health issues too ( I suffer from Major Depressive Disorder ). They also obtained hospital records. I think they only went back three years, they did not care about the records that were older than that.
10-01-2014, 08:47 PM   #310
jazzygirl52

My Support Groups:
Hi all...

I have had Colitis/Crohns since a teenager (now 61). I was on Pentasa for years and years and occassional prednisone. Diagnosed with colon cancer large intestine in 2011 and a wonderful dr at Brigham Womens did the surgery with no need for external ostomy bag.

I had to leave high paying, high stress jobs, and relocated to MA from CA at the same time.

After working and earning very little money, and having restrictions on how far I could be from bathroom etc, I finally stopped working and went on UE and finally am qualified for Disability in MA. They dont pay for first 5 months but now am on it, have MassHealth (medicaid), and yes, did apply for MA version of food stamps. I am not working, but getting treatment now for Crohns and also am limited to no roughage, no dairy, gluten free etc.

tapering off Entocort and starting Remicade in November. But after paying $500 a month for Cobra for two years, the Disability Insurance has been a blessing as well as Mass Health for saving that money and not drawing on my dwindling cash reserves.

The doctors have to all send in data and you cant hardly ever get your case worker via phone, but if you have patience, apparently it works.

UPDATE: Insurance changed to Humira which I started in December. Tummy feels a lot better.

Last edited by jazzygirl52; 01-24-2015 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Humira now
10-02-2014, 03:43 PM   #311
pink&green

Hubby just got approved I checked our bank account this morning and his back pay was deposited in today. We have not received his letter but I did go on to SSA.gov and printed his benefit letter. I did everything myself no lawyer I just documented everything made sure the Dr. wrote down everything that my hubby said. I also sent in a copy of my FMLA papers to the SSD examiner to show how I have to leave to take car of him and sometimes work from home when his flares are really bad.
Appendix removed
2007 Hemorrhoids removed
2006 resection:
2005 first perianal fistula(removed 3x & lanced still keep coming back)
2014 partial nephrectomy (stage1)
Previously medications:Humira-anaphylaxis reaction, Remicade, Cimzia, Entyvio
Current medications:
B-12, 6mp, flagyl, prednisone,
Tramadol(fistula & joint pain)

LeeLee
10-05-2014, 12:17 AM   #312
darubo

My Support Groups:
Hello,

I'm new to this group and need some guidance, encouragement, etc.

I'm 52, female, and live in East Texas. I was finally diagnosed in 2011 with Crohn's disease and had a bowel resection in 2012. I couldn't work for 3 months, but did go back to work.

In addition to Crohn's, I have several other illnesses/conditions, including severe osteoarthritis in my knees, back and feet/ankles.

I started feeling nauseous every morning a few months after the bowel resection, and none of the tests the doctors ordered showed that anything was wrong; all came back as "normal"...I had to start using a wheelchair to get around at work in September 2013.

By March of this year, 2014, I just couldn't force myself to go to work any more; I just felt too sick. My employer was also trying to find a way to fire me, and I felt like they forced my hand, so to speak.

I was on Short Term Disability until early June 2014, and when my FMLA was exhausted, the company that administers the STD at my job denied my STD claim. They had been approving it and paying it almost 3 months, and nothing about my conditions had changed; I was actually feeling worse.

So I've had no income since June, and had to sell my house and move in with my sister who lives in the small East TX town I grew up in.

I had knee replacement surgery 8/19/14 and am still recovering from that, plus I still have daily nausea that is extremely debilitating. I filed for Social Security Disability in March, right after I went out on STD. I got a letter from SS denying my claim last week. The letter says my conditions are not severe enough to keep me from performing my daily work duties.

My employer terminated me 9/16/14 because I couldn't go back to work. I contacted an attorney for help with the SS Disability denial and asked if I should file for unemployment, and he said yes. I filed for unemployment. One of the questions asked when an unemployed person requests unemployment is "do you certify you are mentally and physically able to work?" I answered "yes" because I didn't know what else to do; I have no money and no income, and am too sick to work.

A TEC employee called me Friday to tell me my unemployment compensation request would not be considered until my doctor sent a fax to them releasing me to work. It's a Catch-22 situation...

I don't know what to do? What do I do for money while I appeal the SS Disability denial? I'm going to lose my car because I don't have the money to pay the monthly payment! My sister is providing me with a roof over my head, but I don't know what I'm going to do for healthcare, because COBRA is $655/month!

I need help -- does anyone in this group have any suggestions about what I can do for healthcare? I have several maintenance medications I take daily, and I can't just stop taking them!

I can see how people become homeless and lose their minds -- it shouldn't be this way; this is America!

I would really appreciate any and all comments, suggestions, information, etc. I'm feeling really hopeless about my situation...

Thank you,

Dana in Lufkin, TX
10-05-2014, 12:39 AM   #313
darubo

My Support Groups:
Please subscribe me to the Disability/Unemployment/Financial Difficulties Support Group.

Thank you.
10-05-2014, 09:27 AM   #314
jazzygirl52

My Support Groups:
Sorry darubo....

The system is so hard. I too struggled with this work vs disability after years of colitis/crohns and a colon cancer surgery in 2011. But earlier this year I took a new job that was high stress and long hours. I could not properly have time to eat/ go to bathroom/ relax enough to go to bathroom in a shared bathroom, etc that it stressed me out. I had a huge anxiety attack that made me dizzy and gave me horrible headaches on top of tummy woes.

I applied for unemployment immediately and then was convinced I should apply for long term disability --I put the claim in for stress/colon cancer and bathroom needs and variety of other physical issues.

Technically you cant apply for unemployment and disability at the same time.. one says you are okay to work and one says you arent. But I did cause like you, I needed income.

It took 5 months to get disability to approve me. I also went on Mass Health's version of medicaid vs my $500 month cobra. And I should start getting my disability payments end of October.

I had all of my doctors send in reports of medical issues they were treating me for, and I went to a therapist and emphasized the stress and the lack of control of bathroom needs.

And I was persistent. It worked. I would suggest you try again with a lawyer and in the mean time apply for medicaid health benefits and food stamps...and tell your doctor that you need a note saying you cannot work full time, and have physical disabilities that require you to have time and access for bathroom functions....

Check with the state, they must have financial resources like welfare.

So sorry you are going thru this.
10-05-2014, 10:06 PM   #315
Ann Morgan
jazzy: My job was a high stress job too. I have not worked since 2009. I also had the Cobra Insurance after being let go from my job in 2009 due to "workforce reduction" because of the poor economy. I did not pay as much as $500.00, but the cost was a lot for me to pay.
10-05-2014, 10:09 PM   #316
Ann Morgan
Hubby just got approved I checked our bank account this morning and his back pay was deposited in today. We have not received his letter but I did go on to SSA.gov and printed his benefit letter. I did everything myself no lawyer I just documented everything made sure the Dr. wrote down everything that my hubby said. I also sent in a copy of my FMLA papers to the SSD examiner to show how I have to leave to take car of him and sometimes work from home when his flares are really bad.
I am so happy for you and your husband ! Good Job ! It was smart of you to print out his benefit letter. I actually carry my letter around in my purse. I have a copy of the letter at home. I received a letter in the mail.
10-05-2014, 10:39 PM   #317
Ann Morgan
darubo: I have gone through so many of the same things that you are going through now ! The Cobra Insurance. The Unemployment Benefits. Short Term Disability at my job. Applying for SSD on my own the first time around and I got denied, I did not appeal and I gave up. Finally I tried again and I got an attorney and I won my case. I got let go from my job due to "workforce reduction" in 2009 because the economy was bad. But I did have physical and mental health issues at that time that were severely affecting my job performance. Of course they picked me to get let go, I was the "sick one". After my Severance and Retirement money was gone, I applied for Unemployment Benefits and after the initial Benefits ran out I got an extension. So, it was 2012 and I had no Unemployment Benefits and no Health Insurance. I was still waiting for my SSD hearing before a judge at this time. I thought I was going to be homeless. Since I had no health insurance I had to discontinue taking my psychiatric medications ( I had several prescriptions ). I only kept taking the bare essentials as far as medications. My sister saved me from being homeless. She paid all of my bills ( the bare minimum ) for probably nine months. She gave me the money, I did not have to pay it back. It took me 21 months to get my SSD hearing and I won. I started to collect SSD in January 2013. I started to get Medicare right away because I got backdated settlement pay. But I screwed up and I did not apply for the Medicare Prescription Insurance in 2013. So, I had to pay full price for all of my prescriptions. How stupid of me, but I did not know how the "system" worked. I now have AARP Medicare Complete insured through United Health Care and I DO have prescription insurance. Since I did not take my psychiatric medications for a year, of course I ended up in the psychiatric hospital one year after going off of my medications. I had been isolated for an entire year and severely depressed. When I applied for Unemployment I actually felt like I could somehow qualify for some kind of job somewhere, but not the same type of job that I was let go from. I thought I may find something easier and less stressful, but I didn't. Jobs were hard to find, and most jobs wanted a person to multi-task and to be able to use every Microsoft program ever made. My advice is to get a reputable attorney. Since I won my case I DID have to pay the law firm a fee. I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis in 2006 but I had had symptoms since 1997. I also have many other illnesses other than the Ulcerative Colitis. Some are physical problems and some are mental problems. I had no health insurance for the entire year of 2012. I was also on Short Term Disability from my job in 2007 for five months. I don't know what kind of services that your city or state could provide for you. Jazzy has some great advice and some great insight. There ARE services out there, it is just hard to find them. Take Care and Keep Writing.
10-05-2014, 10:48 PM   #318
Ann Morgan
Jazzy: I used to have panic attacks at work all of the time before I had a breakdown and ended up in the hospital in 2007. I did not know what a panic attack was at all at the time. I just felt "icky" and I had migraines and my balance felt "off". One time my boss even called the fire department people to come to check me out at work ! How embarrassing. They checked me out and I was okay, of course, physically. I was a "frequent flier" at the Emergency Room because of the panic attacks.
10-06-2014, 05:45 PM   #319
pink&green

Ann do you know when your CDR is scheduled? We still have not received hubby benefit packet from what I read the his CDR date she be in that packet I also read that it could take 1-2 weeks after the back has been deposited to receive the packet.
10-10-2014, 05:43 PM   #320
Ann Morgan
dear pink&green: I received some very basic information from the Social Security

Disability people after my case was won. Somewhere in this information I believe I read

that some of the cases are reviewed every three years and some are reviewed every

seven years. I believe it said my case was going to be reviewed every three years

because there could be a possibility that I could return to work at some kind

of a job. I did not save that SSD booklet or the pamphlet ( stupid me ! ).

Of course I also received my letter from the Social Security Disability

people about my case being

won and the settlement amount and more details like that. I keep this letter in my purse

just in case someone may ask for a copy of it.

I know so little about how the system works. I wish I would have saved my booklet

and my pamphlet. I suffer from anxiety, so I am always worried that they will

review my case and say I can go back to work at a job. My previous job included

dealing with millions of dollars, dealing with daily mandatory deadlines,

internal accounting-type responsibilities, cross-training, multi-tasking, rotating

job duties. I worked there for 24 years.

Keep In Touch so that we know what is going on.
10-13-2014, 06:15 PM   #321
pink&green

Thanks Ann, I'm shocked that he has such a quick CDR from what I read 3-5 is the norm.
10-29-2014, 12:13 PM   #322
ChrisCrohn's

My Support Groups:
I get ssd,applied for ssi also.i was told i earn $20 too much to qualify for both!my son turns 18 soon,so less $ for me.i got a notice from ssd stating i am 145% below poverty level.i am deeply concerned about my future.as it is now,i can't even afford co pays or dr visits anymore.
I feel helpless
11-02-2014, 12:02 AM   #323
Ann Morgan
My SSD case is supposed to be reviewed every three years. I just started collecting regular monthly SSD benefits in January 2013, but I received some back-dated settlement pay also ( a lump sum ). So, will my case be reviewed three years from January 2013 or will my case be reviewed based on the date of the back-dated settlement pay ? I have some mental health issues that were included in my case, so my case alone was not won based on JUST the Ulcerative Colitis chronic diarrhea issues. Well, I recently saw a new GI doctor and had a colonoscopy, the colonoscopy came back normal. I am afraid that the reviewers will see the new colonoscopy results and will come to the conclusion that I am "cured". I had terrible diarrhea for 17 years until May of this year when I started to get bad constipation. Without my Questran I would not be able to leave my apartment. I am still taking the Questran, but I am taking one packet a day instead of two. And I am still taking the rest of my Lialda pills. I already have terrible anxiety and I worry so much about them taking my benefits away. This may sound terrible, but I would rather be dead than be homeless. I don't want to be homeless.

Thanks for listening.
11-02-2014, 10:10 AM   #324
ChrisCrohn's

My Support Groups:
Hi Ann,reviews are based on the date of your first payment.the lump sum is seperate a
01-15-2015, 04:44 PM   #325
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I'm trying to keep my pride and not file for disability but it's too long and I'm not healthier.

How does the SSA define date of disability? Is it from the day I apply, the day I'm accepted? I've had crohns for years but really bad in the last 4 so not sure how to file. Also, can I list multiple conditions?
01-15-2015, 04:57 PM   #326
Ali29

My Support Groups:
I would suggest finding a local SSDI Attorney. It is a nightmare to file, along with lots of paperwork and as you know most are denied initially. The whole process causes lots of stress. I'm not positive but I think the date of disability is the date after your last date worked, I think that is what my attorney said. Yes, all disabling conditions are listed.

Good luck and hopefully you can get approved quickly!!!!!
Diagnosises - Mast Cell Activation Disorder, IBD Small Intestine-duodenum-villi blunted, Bile Acid/Fat Malabsorption, Chronic nausea-vomiting/pain, esophageal dismotility, mucosal edema, acid hypersecretion, Lymphocytic Colitis, Ocular Migraines, gallbladder removed

Current Meds: H1 H2 Anti Histamines, PPI, Enteragam, Lomotil, Phenergan, Percoset

Meds that did not work: Pentasa, Lialda, Zenpep, Entocort EC, Carafate, Elavil, Lotronex, Desipramine, Questran/Welchol severe bloating/pain.
01-15-2015, 09:22 PM   #327
jazzygirl52

My Support Groups:
I'm trying to keep my pride and not file for disability but it's too long and I'm not healthier.

How does the SSA define date of disability? Is it from the day I apply, the day I'm accepted? I've had crohns for years but really bad in the last 4 so not sure how to file. Also, can I list multiple conditions?

Hi all... I applied for disability and they approve you (if they approve you) with payments to start coverage (may be retroactive) 5 months after filing. Then the first payment was a month later ... so they determined my benefits start in October, with payment being November 26th and 26th of the months following....

I listed major stress that created havoc with my med schedule, my stomach, inability to wait when urge strikes, panic attacks that disabled me physically at my job and lack of adequate time to use the restroom in the high stress job. Also past injuries with my back ,shoulder, knee that prevented me from a lot of jobs...( list any and all that you have, and provide a list of doctors, they do check w each doctor to verify your condition/diagnosis/therapy).

I am in MA and qualfiied prior to disability for MASS HEALTH which waived copays, had $3.25 prescriptions , etc. Not sure if there is anything like that in other states.

GOOD LUCK!

01-15-2015, 10:57 PM   #328
Ann Morgan
Hi Noguts:
I would recommend getting an attorney, that is what worked for me. Although I have heard about people applying on their own and winning their case the first time around. But also have heard of other folks that had to appeal more than once.
01-15-2015, 11:02 PM   #329
Jennifer
Adminstrator

The day you apply. I'd apply as soon as possible if you're thinking about it because it can take a very long time to get approved. You can always stop the process if you're able to work without difficulty again. Yes you can list multiple conditions.
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.
01-16-2015, 12:29 AM   #330
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I just am afraid to bother my doctors if I apply and then can work and then need to apply again.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Disability/Unemployment/Financial Difficulties Support Group