Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Disability/Unemployment/Financial Difficulties Support Group

10-26-2016, 06:08 AM   #541
MizzSarah

My Support Groups:
I started receiving disability assistance when I was 18. In Canada you can apply at 18. I had a very different diagnosis than Crohn's but at that point I didn't think I'd be able to work ever. It was crushing for my self-esteem.

Forward a few years I was able to work more but then was diagnosed with Crohn's. Haven't been able to manage full time work so I've been part time since then.

Seriously rethinking my career.

I'm not married so I'm living off of disability along with whatever I make on the side(you have a certain amount you can make additionally in a year). As a single income I can't not work.

Getting sick so young has dramatically changed how I see my future
2nd Gen affected
11-17-2016, 09:49 AM   #542
Wildmtnhoney

My Support Groups:
Been away from this thread a long time, but it's time for an update!

Quick catch up: Applied April 2015, denied July 2015 not because I'm not currently disabled, but because my work credits were too old, and I needed to prove I was disabled as far back as 2008.

There is no reconsideration step in my state, so I have had to wait for a hearing. I just got the letter with the date - Dec 5th! I *think* I have enough documentation now to show that things were that bad back then, but either I do or I don't, I'll know soon enough! Interestingly, the only "witness" that has been called to my hearing is not a Dr to prove I was/am disabled, but someone to verify if someone with my conditions could have been working during that time - I think from what I've read that is typical? I'm also hoping it's a good sign, though.

Thanks for all in this thread!!
12-05-2016, 08:41 AM   #543
Wildmtnhoney

My Support Groups:
Hearing day has arrived.

So torn. I both do and don't want to "win" - because that feels like such a loss!

If you're the type, I could really use all positive, and even some calming "what will be will be" thoughts/vibes/whatever.
12-05-2016, 11:25 AM   #544
Wildmtnhoney

My Support Groups:
No decision today. The judge wants more, older medical records, because my last insured year for SSDI is 2008.
12-12-2016, 12:45 PM   #545
Kit

Prayers Wildmtnhoney for peace with the decisions and guidance to continue to find medical records. May you have the energy and motivation to continue on this quest.
01-26-2017, 08:14 PM   #546
cmack

My Support Groups:
Hey Wild and MizzSarah,

I have been through a lot too and am looking to secure disability status in Canada. Maybe we can help one another. Even if it is just for emotional support. I tend to think we are, all three of us, in similar situations.

Feel free to pm me any time. I enjoy talking to people. (especially the sick ones)

All the best,

cmack
01-26-2017, 09:28 PM   #547
Ali29

My Support Groups:
I feel for everyone who goes through the disability process. It is a difficult and emotional journey. Just remember, this too shall pass. Since I became so ill in 2012, I have kept a daily journal on how I feel, everything from bowels to vomit & pain, accidents. At times, Drs have asked for food in the journal also. This helped me with SSI. I can produce a 5 inch thick folder if anyone asks. It is a bittersweet journey but you mostly likely have to continue to be reviewed every 2-3 years depending on the judge. It is difficult but honestly, this Forum has helped me through some very sad days and feel blessed to have these wonderful people to encourage us.

I pray that you find the courage and hope to get through this part of your life. I am here for you too if you need to talk.
Diagnosises - Mast Cell Activation Disorder, IBD Small Intestine-duodenum-villi blunted, Bile Acid/Fat Malabsorption, Chronic nausea-vomiting/pain, esophageal dismotility, mucosal edema, acid hypersecretion, Lymphocytic Colitis, Ocular Migraines, gallbladder removed

Current Meds: H1 H2 Anti Histamines, PPI, Enteragam, Lomotil, Phenergan, Percoset

Meds that did not work: Pentasa, Lialda, Zenpep, Entocort EC, Carafate, Elavil, Lotronex, Desipramine, Questran/Welchol severe bloating/pain.
01-27-2017, 11:39 AM   #548
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
Some words of encouragement for all.....some of you know my younger brother has been going through a LOT health wise. He had his appeal back on Oct. 16th which was in front of a judge.....then the waiting.....well, this past week he received his decision which was YES - disability benefits finally!!!! Now he does have to wait for payments to start, but this was a huge relief for him, he can now try to start moving forward with finding his own place to live (he has been back living with our parents for the last 2 years).....

30 plus years and counting with UC/Crohn's!
on remicade since 11/05

While my experiences may not be what everyone has had- I feel it is worthwhile to share any and all experiences that may be beneficial to others.
01-27-2017, 06:22 PM   #549
cmack

My Support Groups:
Lisa,

That's AWESOME NEWS! So happy for your Bro! Let the good times start to roll again!

all the best to you and yours,

cmack
01-27-2017, 07:09 PM   #550
Jennifer
Adminstrator

Great news Lisa! Very happy for him.

My husband is waiting for a judge as well. Problem is that SS didn't have all of my husband's medical records. They were missing 2014-16. Basing their decisions off of old records and we have no idea why. They received everything they needed to get his records but just didn't so now we're working with a lawyer cause SS tried to do the hearing next month with a judge while still not having all of his records so the lawyer pushed the date back until everyone is on the same page. We're fine with some money going to a lawyer cause honestly we're tired of Social Security's bullshit. It's far too mentally draining.
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.
01-27-2017, 07:28 PM   #551
cmack

My Support Groups:
Jennifer,

That really sounds like a bugger of a situation for your family. I too agree that that bag of B.S. is ten pounds in a five pound sack.

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win". Mahatma Gandhi

I wish you all well and the best of luck,

cmack
03-31-2017, 10:45 AM   #552
Wildmtnhoney

My Support Groups:
So, I have a strange update. I recieved a letter from SS with a packet from a doctor (that I've never met) who went over my history then basically said I have no physical limitations to working most jobs. They did ignore all my comorbid psych conditions. I could have sent in more information rebutting that, but frankly I'm worn out, and they already have everything anyway. Well, I thought that meant it was "over" and I'd be denied any day now.

However, today being the 31st, I just went to the SSA.gov site, and it says I have a *new* hearing scheduled for July! Why would that be? Just so they can turn me down then? I am so confused! I guess I have to wait for the new packet to arrive in the mail, to see if there is anything else new in it, but does this sound like I still have a chance?
03-31-2017, 01:08 PM   #553
peluchde

My Support Groups:
I was turned down the first time and I think most people are. I appealed and got my benefits the next time. Hang in there!
03-31-2017, 04:21 PM   #554
MizzSarah

My Support Groups:
I was turned down the first time because my diagnosis was not 'suffient enough. Their was no way to say yes my condition will continue to last more then 12 months etc. Finally got it with the same diagnosis but I had to go see an advocacy group who helped me reapply with more documents to support how debilitating it is. I used a checklist that included the points I had to prove in order to get it and I believe that's what sealed the deal.

So, I have a strange update. I recieved a letter from SS with a packet from a doctor (that I've never met) who went over my history then basically said I have no physical limitations to working most jobs. They did ignore all my comorbid psych conditions. I could have sent in more information rebutting that, but frankly I'm worn out, and they already have everything anyway. Well, I thought that meant it was "over" and I'd be denied any day now.

However, today being the 31st, I just went to the SSA.gov site, and it says I have a *new* hearing scheduled for July! Why would that be? Just so they can turn me down then? I am so confused! I guess I have to wait for the new packet to arrive in the mail, to see if there is anything else new in it, but does this sound like I still have a chance?
08-01-2017, 03:08 PM   #555
emilyt804

My Support Groups:
I can apply but I'm not healthy so part of me hopes I don't get called for interviews till I'm fully ready.
If you want to game the system, this isn't really ethical I guess, but you can do it:

Apply for jobs you're totally not qualified for.

Any job counts. That's the rule.

So, apply to be president of a university. Apply to be the Librarian of Congress. Apply to be a hospital administrator.

Chances are, you're not qualified, but all you have to do is apply to three jobs a week. As long as you follow the rule, they won't deny you unemployment.

You're right; it's totally pointless to apply for work when you're flat on your back; how would you even work the job if they flat-out gave it to you?
09-28-2017, 06:28 PM   #556
itsmebabs

My Support Groups:
Besides being really sick from Crohn's and all its complications I have been denied SSI. Never received the denial letter in the mail and when I called my case manager to send her my latest bloodworm,,,anemia etc.she never said anything to me and I was already denied and she never told me!!! So now I missed the 60 day time to appeal and the SS office said they will write a letter explaining that and I have to wait 21/2 years to go before a judge to see if he'll allow me to appeal!! Yikes! I think the whole system stinks and so unfair.
09-28-2017, 11:06 PM   #557
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I am so sorry.
Diagnosed in 1990. On Humira, Imuran, Gabapentin, Colestipol, Synthroid, Lialda. Resection in April of 2010. Allergic to Remicade, Penicillin, Flagyl, Doxycycline. Thyroid issues and psoriasis and neuropathy and mild cerebral palsy. Mild arthritis in my lower back.
09-30-2017, 07:51 AM   #558
itsmebabs

My Support Groups:
I am so sorry this disease has brought on other issues nonroush for you as with me. Sending you healing energy.
09-30-2017, 08:06 AM   #559
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I am so sorry this disease has brought on other issues nonroush for you as with me. Sending you healing energy.
Thanks.
10-02-2017, 11:31 AM   #560
Kit

@itsmebabs So sorry.
10-20-2017, 11:59 AM   #561
Wildmtnhoney

My Support Groups:
Thank you all for all the kind words throughout this difficult journey -- my final verdict: denied. Mostly because we had to go back SO far (2008) to find me enough credits, because I haven't been working in so long, and didn't apply in all that time because I didn't think I was "sick enough" -- blah!

Anyway, I have thoughts on what I *can* do -- I can try to work, even if I can only stay employed for just a teeny tiny bit, I just need to earn the required 4 credits each year, for the next 3 years (I am pretty sure that will catch me up, I need to check once again, because I did do work the past few years, too) then, if needed, and qualified, apply again.

I am super lucky in that my husband can (mostly) support us while I go through this. It's just hard (I know you all know that!).
11-13-2017, 11:59 PM   #562
MarexoBear

My Support Groups:
Hello all,

Has anyone had an issue with their GI not signing off on the medical statement requirement for California SDI? My GI told me flat out I am too sick to work and have no other options for treatment but he refuses to sign off on my claim because, "I am not truly disabled".

- Mare

Diagnosed: 2012 CD | Surgeries: laparoscopic cholecystectomy 2016 & resection of small intestine and colon 2017 | Medication(s): None ran out of options
11-21-2017, 01:53 PM   #563
Kit

@MarexoBear I am so sorry you having to go through this! How frustrating! Maybe it is time for a new GI with an IBD specialty.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Disability/Unemployment/Financial Difficulties Support Group