Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Disability/Unemployment/Financial Difficulties Support Group

07-05-2013, 02:47 AM   #31
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
What do you guys think are the easiest or best jobs (positions or fields) for someone with IBD to look for when applying?

I am thinking in terms of jobs requiring little energy, flexibility in working from home etc?
07-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #32
xxjemmamxx

My Support Groups:
A lot of jobs working from home would be great for Crohn's. I don't have experience of working within an office, but I think that could work for some people with Crohn's too. In my opinion, the best job for people with Crohn's is anywhere where the employers are understanding and respectful.

Ughh...I can tell some people in my family don't respect my decision to leave my job. They don't understand what it's like to have Crohn's and their ignorant comments are hurtful. Really have to restrain myself sometimes to stop myself from saying something back. I get that some people are ignorant about IBD but it hurts that my family are when they should be supportive. They saw me when I was really ill in hospital so they should know better. I am 100% certain that leaving work is the best for me, even though I'm reluctant to do it, and they just keep making me feel bad for doing it. Like I'm lazy when actually I put so much effort into being able to even work a single shift that I'm exhausted to the point that I can't do it any more. Sorry for the long post, but I'm feeling a bit low at the minute and writing it down helps.
07-07-2013, 04:21 PM   #33
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Jemma don't get down, I'm sure it's frustrating when people don't understand. My family sees firsthand how bad things are so they fully understand it but I think my friends and even less immediate family don't get it and possibly think I'm just a whiner. Nobody ever said that but I get the sense some can't believe one can be so ill so long and that I must be making it up. At the end of the day you know your truth and you need to get yourself better and sometimes that means leaving work.
07-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #34
Kit

@Jemam I am soo sorrry that you are feeling down and you aren't getting the support you need from your family. Big hug to you! My husband always tell me you need to listen to your body and figure out how to adjust what you do as needed. For us that means constantly reevaluating what we need to be doing for ourselves to keep healthy. Unfortunately people don't realize when we push too much it throws us in a flare and then more chance of being in the hospital. I have confidence that you will find a career that will be more compatible with the Crohn's and maybe even let you work part time. I am glad you feel like you can vent here!
07-10-2013, 02:51 PM   #35
Donk4263

My Support Groups:
I had to stop working in 2004 after a 20+ year career in IT. I was diagnosed with Crohn's is 1975 at 13, and I always have to be on at least 5mg prednisone to keep Crohn's relatively well controlled. It was getting more and more difficult to work, and when I finally had surgeries in 2004 & 2005, that was it for my career. I was devastated at first, but once I started to reap the benefits of not practically killing myself by working and not having the energy to take the best care of myself, I began feeling much better about not working.

Anyway, just thought I'd say "hi" and offer any advice to those applying for SSDI. Because I had to go to court to get approved, I get reviewed every three years. I'm due for another review this year. Every review is a bit nerve wracking, but my docs support my disability status, and deep down I know I wouldn't be here if I hadn't finally given up working.
I saw your post and was wondering if you had a LTD policy at your job?
07-11-2013, 12:58 AM   #36
twokatmew

My Support Groups:
I saw your post and was wondering if you had a LTD policy at your job?
Yes, thank goodness. It pays a small portion of my prior salary in addition to what social security pays. The total is nowhere near what I earned while working, but my needs & wants are modest. :-)

4 Beta
07-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #37
Donk4263

My Support Groups:
Good for you!

I'm kinda in the same boat but I don't think I am ready to file yet.
07-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #38
twokatmew

My Support Groups:
Good for you!

I'm kinda in the same boat but I don't think I am ready to file yet.
I didn't want to, but complications and sepsis from a botched resection made the decision for me. I was so sick in hospital for so long that my friends got the forms and helped me fill them out. I was still there when SS called for my phone interview. I remember being flat on my back with two pumps and multi-lumen PIC *and* central lines.

I'm sure I never would have made the decision to apply had I not been so ill and not really expected to survive. Looking back, I know I should have applied long before I did. I just never dreamed I'd become so ill. It's a very tough decision to make. Best of luck in whatever you decide!

4 Beta
07-12-2013, 07:21 AM   #39
Donk4263

My Support Groups:
Wow, my heart goes out to you for being so strong. It's story's like this that make me realize just how serious this disease really is!!!

Thank you so much for sharing!!!
07-12-2013, 09:13 PM   #40
bumdeal87

My Support Groups:
I was very interested to come across this thread as I have just applied for disability. I am just at the beginning of the application process but for me everything so far has been online. I am coming off a 5 year remission and have been really sick the past 4 mo. It was at the suggestion of my doc that I decided to apply...would never have thought of it on my own since I just figured this was my life. I felt almost guilty applying...but since I can not leave my house I figured it was worth a shot. No reason not to hope for the best!
07-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #41
Jennifer
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
Be sure to appeal bumdeal87 if you're denied. Most people are denied their first time applying. Always appeal.
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.
07-12-2013, 10:54 PM   #42
twokatmew

My Support Groups:
Be sure to appeal bumdeal87 if you're denied. Most people are denied their first time applying. Always appeal.
Yes, definitely appeal, and if that's denied, get an attorney and go before a judge. It took three years before I finally got it, but it was retroactive once the judge ruled in my favor. He said I never should have been denied in the first place.

4 Beta
07-12-2013, 11:00 PM   #43
twokatmew

My Support Groups:
Wow, my heart goes out to you for being so strong. It's story's like this that make me realize just how serious this disease really is!!!

Thank you so much for sharing!!!
Yes, if I've been doing fairly well for even a short while I start to forget just how serious Crohn's can be. Unfortunately I usually get a strong reminder from these guts of mine. ;-)

I'm glad I found this forum. It's important and comforting to have support from others who really understand!

4 Beta
07-12-2013, 11:17 PM   #44
twokatmew

My Support Groups:
... It was at the suggestion of my doc that I decided to apply...would never have thought of it on my own since I just figured this was my life. I felt almost guilty applying...but since I can not leave my house I figured it was worth a shot. No reason not to hope for the best!
I think many of us have to be prodded by others to apply. My rule for myself was "if I can drag myself out of bed, I am fit for work." As my health tanked, my worst fear was that I'd end up unable to work and on disability. Having to fight for it when I was terribly ill (and housebound) while feeling guilty about not being able to work was horrible. It took years to overcome my guilt over being unable to work. Even now I sometimes miss my former career, but honestly, ending up on disability probably saved my life. And sick or not, I'm glad to be alive.

Docs don't suggest patients apply for disability without good reason, and without the stress and strain on your body from pushing yourself so hard to work, you just may regain some health.

Best of luck to you!

4 Beta
07-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #45
Kit

@bumdeal87 Support and hugs go to you during this process. I agree with twokatmew "without the stress and strain on your body from pushing yourself so hard to work, you just may regain some health"

@Twokatmew I felt guilty about not working too, but I didn't have much of a life outside work and was stressed all the time. Unfortunately I don't feel like i can apply for disability since my Crohn's symptoms and bloodwork seem to show I am in remission. I just don't have the energy anymore to continue with the career I was in.

Thanks for listening. sigh.

Kit
07-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #46
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
It's so unfair that the process is so brutal and long and 80% are denied at first. I found through experience with insurance and other areas persistence is key. You need to be a bug up their behind and let them know you aren't going away till you have justice
07-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #47
Donk4263

My Support Groups:
My rule for myself was "if I can drag myself out of bed, I am fit for work." As my health tanked, my worst fear was that I'd end up unable to work and on disability.

This sounds so familiar...I too use the same rule.

My biggest fear is the inevitable fight with SSDI and my employer. Plus I fear not being able to pay for my infusions.

Just seems to be a lot of worry all of the time.
07-17-2013, 11:39 AM   #48
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I wonder if Obamacare will make it easier to apply for disability.
07-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #49
Donk4263

My Support Groups:
I wonder if Obamacare will make it easier to apply for disability.
That's very good question???

Or will I be penalized for not having health care coverage if I am out of work!
07-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #50
bumdeal87

My Support Groups:
That's very good question???

Or will I be penalized for not having health care coverage if I am out of work!
Those are both very good questions!!
07-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #51
bumdeal87

My Support Groups:
I think many of us have to be prodded by others to apply. My rule for myself was "if I can drag myself out of bed, I am fit for work." As my health tanked, my worst fear was that I'd end up unable to work and on disability. Having to fight for it when I was terribly ill (and housebound) while feeling guilty about not being able to work was horrible. It took years to overcome my guilt over being unable to work. Even now I sometimes miss my former career, but honestly, ending up on disability probably saved my life. And sick or not, I'm glad to be alive.

Docs don't suggest patients apply for disability without good reason, and without the stress and strain on your body from pushing yourself so hard to work, you just may regain some health.

Best of luck to you!

4 Beta
Thanks for the encouragement!
I feel the same way...so very guilty and non productive!
My husband doesn't want me to work either but I see the stress he's under so it's a vicious cycle.
I haven't heard anything back but I picked up my own medical records to drop off at the SS office. Maybe that will speed the process along?

I agree with the whole doc suggestion. Just still hard to sit back.

Thanks for your input makes me feel better and I do need the rest at this time!

Hugs to you and I hope you have a great day!
07-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #52
bumdeal87

My Support Groups:
@bumdeal87 Support and hugs go to you during this process. I agree with twokatmew "without the stress and strain on your body from pushing yourself so hard to work, you just may regain some health"

@Twokatmew I felt guilty about not working too, but I didn't have much of a life outside work and was stressed all the time. Unfortunately I don't feel like i can apply for disability since my Crohn's symptoms and bloodwork seem to show I am in remission. I just don't have the energy anymore to continue with the career I was in.

Thanks for listening. sigh.

Kit
Sorry Kit, I loved my career also and just couldn't keep up with the stress and demand. Applied for less stressful jobs and I am over qualified. I wonder if SSI will take that into consideration??
I hear you on the exhaustion. Can hardly drag myself out of bed to feed the kids let alone make it to a job. Anyway...thinking of you and I hope you find a solution soon!
07-17-2013, 05:19 PM   #53
Kit

Thanks for the encouraging words! I am feeling better not working, but still feel a little disorganized. At least now i feel like I have some time to try to take care of myself. I am hoping at some time to feel like I can think of different career choices. thanks for this feed!
07-18-2013, 05:56 PM   #54
Donk4263

My Support Groups:
I have a question about ADA and my employer. Do I need to officially declare my Crohn's diagnosis with my employer in order to be protected under ADA or am I protected simply because I have been diagnosed?
07-18-2013, 06:00 PM   #55
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
You only need to declare it if you seek accommodations.

"Do I have to declare my disability?
No, the ADA says you arenít required to declare your disability. This applies to people with noticeable disabilities as well, such as those who are blind or use wheelchairs. However, until you disclose your disability to the appropriate person, such as a supervisor, your company is under no obligation to provide you with accommodations."

http://www.resumeadvantagepro.com/20...o-an-employer/
07-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #56
DLTooley

My Support Groups:
'ObamaCare' rolls out in full at first of the year, 2014.

I'm on an early expansion of it in Colorado after being on an indigent care State program here, a better State program in Washington, self-employed insurance through Blue Cross, and, first, a superb Teamster Union based plan.

I lost my house in 2010 in Washington State - in part due the financial crisis, in part due non-IBD health reasons (maybe not entirely unrelated!) and I've been doing a lot of hiking and camping since - in drier climes than Washington State.

Stress issues have unfortunately pursued me here, but I'm still much happier being a 50 year old version of the stereotypical outdoor 'ski bum' type than I was before. If you live a simple life, food stamps combined with a food bank and an occasional soup kitchen can go a long ways - I've been living on a very small disability payment and slowly selling off my old possessions via ebay and craigslist.

The relation between stress and IBD is a big concern of mine as it applies to social security as my stress is definitely workplace related.
07-21-2013, 12:36 AM   #57
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Does anyone know how much disability pays on average? I don't know if its a federal or state thing. Also I think you need to have worked 10 years to be eligible. I don't have that much time under my belt because I'm younger and went to school. I did hear about another disability plan SSDI? I don't know if I want to go this route because I'm praying in time ill be ok to return to work and I know the process is insane. I feel like applying is saying I'm not going to get better and I'm basically giving up.
07-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #58
Donk4263

My Support Groups:
Does anyone know how much disability pays on average? I don't know if its a federal or state thing. Also I think you need to have worked 10 years to be eligible. I don't have that much time under my belt because I'm younger and went to school. I did hear about another disability plan SSDI? I don't know if I want to go this route because I'm praying in time ill be ok to return to work and I know the process is insane. I feel like applying is saying I'm not going to get better and I'm basically giving up.
It's very difficult to pin down an average because it's based on your past work history. You could go to SS website and login to find out your exact history and I believe it will inform you on your eligibility.
07-22-2013, 05:19 PM   #59
Kit

@nogutsnoglory I agree with Donk on it depends on how long you have worked and what you made for social security disability. I get a statement normally once a year that will state the social security benefits and disability benefits.

Here is a website I found that defines the two types of Disability.
http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answ...ssi-disability

Check the links underlined in descriptions for more detail.

I hope this helps.

Enjoy the Day!

Last edited by Kit; 07-24-2013 at 05:13 PM.
07-24-2013, 03:02 PM   #60
bumdeal87

My Support Groups:
Hey All! Like several of you mentioned I was denied. It seems like even though we lost my full income my husband makes to much for me to qualify. Not sure if it would pay to seek the help of a lawyer at this point. Still can't pay the bills but they didn't really care about that to much. I am not surprised after reading what others went through...not sure what to do now.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Disability/Unemployment/Financial Difficulties Support Group