Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Disability/Unemployment/Financial Difficulties Support Group

07-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #61
Kit

@bumdeal---If you are applying for one type of disability his income factors in, but social security disability doesn't. You have to have worked and paid into Social Security (not sure how many years) and be disabled. This is what I briefly understood from the SS website.

Here is the link:
http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answ...ssi-disability

I hope this helps you some.

Kit
07-24-2013, 11:15 PM   #62
twokatmew

Correct, social security disability is not dependent on income, but you must have worked long enough (and earned enough) to qualify. I don't know how many "work credits" are required, because it wasn't an issue for me, as I'd worked full time for 25 years. SSI is dependent on income, but that's a whole different animal.

HD
07-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #63
xxjemmamxx

My Support Groups:
Sorry, I can't give any advice about disability as I know it works a lot differently in the UK as it does in the US.

I just wanted to post that it is my last day at work tomorrow. I have been counting down the four weeks notice as it's been very tough at times. Had 2 or 3 really bad shifts where I just wanted to give up and walk out or cry, but I didn't . A bit apprehensive about not doing anything and where I'm going from here, but I'm just relieved that I won't have to struggle in that job anymore. Thanks for all your help when I posted on here before.
07-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #64
Donk4263

My Support Groups:
Sorry, I can't give any advice about disability as I know it works a lot differently in the UK as it does in the US.

I just wanted to post that it is my last day at work tomorrow. I have been counting down the four weeks notice as it's been very tough at times. Had 2 or 3 really bad shifts where I just wanted to give up and walk out or cry, but I didn't . A bit apprehensive about not doing anything and where I'm going from here, but I'm just relieved that I won't have to struggle in that job anymore. Thanks for all your help when I posted on here before.
I wish good luck and improved health.
07-26-2013, 05:23 PM   #65
Kit

Thanks for the update Jemmam! I wish you much health in your next adventure. Take care of yourself! Keep me posted on how you are doing.

Kit
07-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #66
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Xxjemma happy you can relax and focus on your health.
08-18-2013, 04:41 PM   #67
Morrish

My Support Groups:
I sent in an online application for SSDI and not even 24 hours was up and I got a phone call denying me because I have not worked and paid social security for the last 5 out of 10 years. I put in 24 years at a school district that didn't pay SS. So I'm thinking do I get a lawyer, didn't understand why they wouldn't let me use my husbands, but not until he files, and he's younger than me, I'm 57 and I use the bathroom constantly and have back and neck problems from a wreck a year ago and I'm very depressed. Have a scheduled colonoscopy tomorrow.
Any ideas out there as far as SSDI ?
08-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #68
Morrish

My Support Groups:
Apparently I don't know how to post, I was hoping that everyone would see this on page 1
08-18-2013, 05:14 PM   #69
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Morrish you posted fine. Posts show up in the order in which they are posted, so your new post is going to be last but people will see it. I don't know the answer to your question I'm sorry but hopefully someone knows more on SSDI.
08-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #70
Jennifer
Adminstrator

Hi Morrish I don't know much about SSDI so if it were me I'd want to talk to a lawyer to see what your options are and they should be able to make the process go by faster. I receive SSI and about a year back or so I got a letter in the mail from Social Security that informed all people who receive SSI that if they are still getting it after the age of 55 then they will have to start paying back money they received. I can't find the exact information on the Social Security site and no longer have the letter but it may be a good idea to speak with a lawyer before trying to apply for SSI if you can't get SSDI. This member hasn't been active in a while but I'm going to try tagging scifi-enthusiast anyway. They applied for and eventually received both SSI and SSDI.

Here's quick info on both SSDI and SSI: http://www.crohnsforum.com/wiki/Soci...ility-Benefits
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.
08-19-2013, 08:48 AM   #71
Kit

I am sorry, I don't have any information on SSDI as well. I would find a lawyer or Social Security person who has information on what are your options.
08-30-2013, 10:06 PM   #72
Tiger09

My Support Groups:
I'm getting reviewed again because I work part time and changed jobs. My lawyer said to fill out paperwork honestly and if anything goes wrong I can appeal. I mean, I'm about to go on tysabri and I have a med port in my right ventricle of my heart. Losing this would be a death sentence for me. Has anyone ever dealt with this?
08-30-2013, 11:11 PM   #73
Jennifer
Adminstrator

Tiger09, if its for Social Security then talk about your worst days possible only. I'm surprised your lawyer isn't filling it out. Mine filled out all of my paperwork.

I receive SSI and go up for review from time to time. Its usually a phone call with them asking if I've been hospitalized in the past year for at least 30 days or more. They never ask about my medications or my health in general. All that ammo is used during the appeal. I've only lost SSI once due to working part time but I got a lawyer and he took care of everything. It took about 3 months to get it back but I got it back on the first try.
08-30-2013, 11:21 PM   #74
Tiger09

My Support Groups:
Yeah they want my work history and how I take breaks and what kind of work I do. I had to take a job as a bartender/server and it sucks. I'm trying to get an office job, but its hard.
09-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #75
LodgeLady

Subscribing to this thread! I may be entering this unemployment territory, just don't know how bad this Crohn's is going to end up being. Trying to get all the info I can. Thanks all!

Entocort , Prednisone, Pentasa, ,Protonix, Xifaxan

Lots of learning.

Lots of praying.....

09-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #76
lblair

My Support Groups:
Good luck I applied a month ago still waiting to hear didn't get a denial letter yet so they are looking into it!!! Usally in MN if you get denied you get a letter within 2 weeks.

Current Meds:
Randitine 150 mg twice a day!!!!
Effexor 37.5mg 2 tabs everyday
Cymbalta 60mg everyday
HZTC 25mg/12.5mg-high blood pressure
Glipizide 5mg before breakfast and dinner
Calcium-
Vitamin
Vitamin D
Gabapetin-300mg three times a day!!!
Fish oil

Meds that have not worked:
Humara
Prozac
Encort
Imura
Remicade
methotraxe

Bowel resection on 3/24/2014
09-07-2013, 12:45 AM   #77
PDXDave

My Support Groups:
I applied for disability and got approved after about 7 months. Luckily I had 401k to lean on during the arduous process.

Crohns or colitis does not automatically qualify you for disability.

Some folks make the mistake of doing little else in their application than proving they have IBD, and get denied. When answering the questions on the forms, it is important to go into detail about how it affects you and your ability to work.

Lots of people have IBD and are able to hold a job just fine. You must describe and demonstrate that not only do you HAVE IBD, but that the condition prevents you from working, or gets you fired for absenteeism or drug side effects, or any of the 1000 ways IBD can wreck our ability to work.
09-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #78
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Glad it worked for you PDXDave, I know many are struggling to qualify for disability, not just for IBD but a range of debilitating conditions. It's probably best to err on the side of including as much information and proof as possible and be ready to appeal and fight for your case.
09-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #79
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Does anyone know what happens when you are on unemployment but file your weekly claim and answer "no" to the questions were you ready, able and willing to work this week? I wonder if my claim won't go through or someone will call me. I have no clue what happens but I wanted to be honest.
09-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #80
PDXDave

My Support Groups:
The people in both agencies seem to realize that there is a built-in catch-22 in the unemployment/disability process that "forces" people to either become homeless or provide "flexible" interpretations to certain questions.

If states went back and audited every person who was approved for disability and prosecuted them for fraud because they claimed they were able to work, the whole process would become a train wreck. We don't see them doing this for the most part. In certain cases, they may do it because there are other red flags that make them think fraud is happening, but in the vast majority of cases, they understand the harsh reality of this catch-22, and they look the other way.

It is also important to know this: During the disability process, you do not legally KNOW FOR A FACT that you are disabled. You aren't disabled until they SAY you are disabled. So when you report to unemployment that you are able to work, you are accepting that your legal "default" status - until deemed otherwise - is "able to work" for the purposes of unemployment insurance. Not until you are officially found to be disabled are you officially unable to work.

Until then, you will gladly accept a job even though you are almost certain to be fired immediately when they learn you have serious limitations due to your disability.

It is a gray area of opinion versus legal status. You may be of the OPINION you are disabled, but your LEGAL status, until proven otherwise, is that you are able to work.

So you are being honest within the framework of the convoluted legalese that the various bureaucracies have created.

I'm not a lawyer, so don't make any decisions based on what I say..... I'm just giving you my layman's interpretation of a very conflicted system.
09-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #81
taylorali

My Support Groups:
Hi All,

I am hoping someone can help me out here. I'm 28 years old. I have severe Crohn's Disease. I've had two bowel resections already and I was diagnosed in 2010. I worked for a company for 2 years, but was let go after having to go on disability due to a massive flare I had back August '12. I couldn't return to work until November. In December, I was let go from the job and applied for unemployment insurance, as I know getting SSI is very difficult. In January I went back on short term disability through unemployment because of my second bowel resection. In May of this year, I began to get extremely sick - I lost 30 lbs. I had almost every test done in the book to find out what was wrong with me. Finally, after ruling everything else out - I had to have my gallbladder removed on September the 6th. I am back on disability through unemployment. I report every week that I have been unable to work for 4 or more days. (My 26 weeks of unemployment are up though because I was unable to report to my local office for Emergency Unemployment because the day I had to go was the day of my surgery.)

Even when I was working - I had to take so many sick days. So many managers would tell me that I needed to be there, etc. But what can you do when you have a fever, your vomitting, going to the bathroom every 5 minutes, feel like your stomach is going to rip apart, and every joint you have is enflamed? It's so difficult. (Which I'm sure you all know)

I have a Crohn's Advocate who has told me that I need to look into SSI - as I also suffer from Migraines that 3% of the country suffer from. (Lucky me.) I have 3 herniated discs in my lower back. My arthritis - which is said to be assosciated with my Crohn's - never feels better. I am also severely anemic and have to begin getting iron infusions weekly (ordered by my GI when I was in the hospital. I was .3 away from needing a blood transfusion.)

1 Week following my surgery I began to have severe back pain on the left side of my body. I literally cannot stand up straight. I'm going to my surgeon on Tuesday, but it doesn't look good. :/

I also suffer from Panic Disorder, Depression, & Severe Anxiety. I take so much medicine, I could open a pharmacy. Yuck!

What are the first steps you need to take in order to get SSI benefits? I've been told that because I have so many other health issues, I will most likely qualify, but who knows. Any help would be so much appreciated!

I'm a New Yorker too if that helps. I genuinely don't know what else to do because I cannot support myself in any way, shape, or form - and my parent's really can't either at this point.

Thanks in advance!!

Crohn's Disease - Diagnosed 1/10

Surgeries:
1st Resection-9/10
2nd Resection 1/13
Gallbladder 9/13

Currently: In severe back pain after gallbladder surgery with no answers.

Past Meds: Remicade, Azathioprine, Prednisone, Flagyl, Cipro, 6mp, Entocort, Pentasa, Celebrax, Humira bi-weekly, Ambien, Xanax

Current Meds:
Humira Weekly, Seroquel, Protonix, Klonopin, Lexapro, Iron Supplement, Zantac, Gas-X, Biotin, B12, Culturele, Zofran, Weekly Iron Infusions
09-20-2013, 06:12 PM   #82
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Taylor so sorry for the hell you have been through and continue to suffer. Fellow New Yorker here suffering and can't work either. I'm on unemployment but am honest each week saying I was unable to work the 4 days. Are they deducting these from the overall time we are allotted unemployment? That seems unfair. I'm not sure how much we get anyway but think its 18 months.

If you only worked two years, you are like me as we are both young and don't have the 10 years work experience to be eligible for SSI. I haven't explored it deeply since I pray I can get better eventually and resume a job. I think you need to look into SSDI. Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong but others here have a lot of experience with the hassle and rejections they faced. Good luck.
09-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #83
Jennifer
Adminstrator

Switch those around nogutsnoglory and you've got it right.

You do not have to work a certain amount of time to qualify for SSI. You do however for SSDI. http://www.ssa.gov/disability/

taylorali, if you're thinking about possibly applying for SSI, then just start the process now by applying because getting accepted can take a long time. Plus if you're denied your first time applying (which many people are mainly to weed out the people who don't really need it) then the appeal process also takes time (ALWAYS APPEAL). If you decide that you don't want it by the time you're accepted then you don't have to take it and no harm done.

You need a good doctor to back up your claims. You could have a lawyer in the beginning if you want or you can wait until you're denied then have them file the appeal (or solo it the whole time without a lawyer). When filling out any forms talk about your worst days possible. Here's information on how to apply: http://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-apply-ussi.htm

This is the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) as of 2008 http://www.crohnsforum.com/wiki/Disa...and-Crohns-USA

We all qualify under 2A and 2B for Major Life Activities.
09-20-2013, 06:50 PM   #84
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Oops thanks for the correction. This is an intimidating area that I hope I won't have to pursue. Disability and unemployment claims have been stressful enough when you are sick as a dog.
09-20-2013, 07:16 PM   #85
Jennifer
Adminstrator

Oops thanks for the correction. This is an intimidating area that I hope I won't have to pursue. Disability and unemployment claims have been stressful enough when you are sick as a dog.
That's why I prefer a lawyer to handle my SSI case.
09-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #86
Donk4263

My Support Groups:
What about someone who is working now but feels that they are wearing down as a result of the many illness surrounding Crohns?

Any advice?
09-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #87
Donk4263

My Support Groups:
What about someone who is working now but feels that they are wearing down as a result of the many illness surrounding Crohns?

Any advice?
I guess what I am asking is do I need to get my GI doc on board with me wishes first or should I see a lawyer first.
09-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #88
twokatmew

I guess what I am asking is do I need to get my GI doc on board with me wishes first or should I see a lawyer first.
Doc first. Without a sympathetic doc on board, a lawyer can't be much help.

09-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #89
Jennifer
Adminstrator

I'd talk to your doctor about it Donk4263. You can still be working and apply for SSI and/or SSDI as you do need money to pay for rent, bills, food, etc. Some lawyers work with their own doctors as well (mine does) and wont need your current doctors to say anything at all.
09-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #90
RosaleeMae
Banned

My Support Groups:
Thankyou for all the info on this subject. I want to file for disability because I had a diagnosis and others for other things, I cannot work a fulltime job, no way. I need to get help for this and going to apply. I apreciate your help.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Disability/Unemployment/Financial Difficulties Support Group