Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Medical/Script insurance

06-06-2006, 08:34 AM   #1
boneyboy

Medical/Script insurance

OK so, I have a slight potential issue here. I'm interviewing for a new job, a software consultant position. They offer kickass med ins, but they don't offer a script plan. My monthly meds would cost about 1000 bucks out of pocket without a script plan. Currently I have one, that's not the direction I'm going with this.

I havent' mentioned this to them yet, as I don't want them to freak out and say "Oh, crap, well nice knowing you." If I get an offer letter from them, I will address it then.

I need your opinions/thoughts on what to do with this situation. I have looked at prescription assistance programs, however they are all income based and I am well over their eligibility limits in that regard. I have looked into supplemental prescription plans, but they are all medicare/medicaid based. I've called CCFA for their opinion and I've never talked to a more worthless group of idiots there. They have nothing to offer. I really hope the money that this site is raising for research isn't going to them (sorry if that offends anyone, but if you can't tell yet, I have my opinions and stick to them like white on rice).

I'm not destitute, I'm not disabled, and I'm def not looking for a freebie handout here for my pills. I just need some program that can get me to, let's say, 400 per month? Or 500? Something less than a grand per month just for my meds. Here are some ideas I came up with:

1) If they give me an offer, see if there's some kind of agreement I can come to with them regarding a prescription plan. I have no problem paying the difference of the plan myself.
2) See if I can get independent insurance and forego their insurance, and take whatever they'd give me monthly towards the independent insurance. This is a little risky because 99% of the independent plans have pre-existing conditions clauses and would cost me a ridiculous amount of money. Also, I have no strength in numbers advantage.
3) COBRA through my old company. I'm not sure exactly what this would run, but I'm guessing around 500 bucks per month for the script plan, med ins, etc. Only issue is I think this will only last for 18 months. Hopefully I could get the new company to implement some kind of prescription plan within that time period. It's still a risk.

My two fav ideas are 1 and 3. Obviously 1 is the best choice. The only reason I'm even looking into this is because this new job would be a huge career move, the best that I've ever had as an opportunity. I have my second interview tomorrow, and my boss has already had me start up writing turnover documents. He is convinced I'm going to get the job. I'm keeping my fingers crossed as I'm not counting any chickens til they hatch.

So, if you have any thoughts or experience with this, lemme know Thanks guys!

Dave
06-07-2006, 12:28 AM   #2
Kate

looks like you have it pretty covered on your avalable options here and i supose it all comes down to what options the company will let you do it looks like it might be outside your decision anyhow.

Best of luck on that mate
Kate
06-07-2006, 07:47 AM   #3
k-t

Best of luck to you mate!!!

Ktxx
06-07-2006, 10:45 PM   #4
bubazoo

wow, a software consultant position doesn't have prescription insurance?

I'd definitely go someplace else if I were you, I make less then McDonalds wages, yet I still have prescription insurance, you can do much better then that mate In fact, as low as I get paid, my Remicade infusions are paid 100%, except for the first one at the beginning of the year.. I have to pay $1500 in January (because I have this $500 deductable crap) but otherwise my stuff is paid 100%.. well, prescriptions I have to mail order,
$20 for generic, or $60 for name-brand... but I am on a "generic mandatory" plan, where if there is a generic form of the medication, I have to get it, otherwise I have to pay the difference... in other words, if there is no generic I have to pay $60 every 90 days, otherwise if there is and my doctor makes me use name brand (like he did for imuran at first) I had to pay the difference, which was like $140 every 90 days, which was rather steap, but still I mean at least its something, and I only make like $6 an hour at my job, even McDonalds people get paid more then that these days..

but yeah I'd definitely look somewhere else if I were you.. i am 1 class away from my bachlers in Computer Information Technology, and I know from going on interviews at software companies that most all of them come with benefits better then that I had an interview the other day in fact at a web design company, and they had decient medical insurance, script, 401k, the whole bit
CD 12yrs, went off SCD after 6yrs too expensive, imuran 50mg/2day, thinking about Remicade again after on it 12mo 3 yrs ago, have all internal parts still besides appendix. diseased illeum, 9 diseased areas in large, narrowing where colon meets rectum, and severe Rectal Fistulas in the spincter muscle area where hemorrhoids normally are.

Last edited by bubazoo; 06-07-2006 at 10:48 PM.
06-08-2006, 07:17 AM   #5
boneyboy

Hey there bubazoo, thanks for your response

I've been thinking about what you brought up here for some time myself. The main thing with this company is they are a very small outfit, 7 people total including the inside people (secretary and VP/Marketing/HR guy). They have recently grown, and are now facing a new stage in the business, that being they have to relook at the benefits package. They know this, and have stated that they are doing so.

In the meantime, if I'm offered a job, I can do COBRA insurance through my old company for 18 months. I won't become a "problem" employee right off the bat, and I'll have 1.5 years to work them over on the presc plan. Also they may give me a monthly amount (100 bucks or so) because I didn't take their insurance offering. That can be applied to the COBRA. Plus the money I get from the Philly Wage Tax going out the window (4%) is another 160 per month. 310 of found money right there, only have to kick in a very little bit to afford the COBRA. The raise would be somewhat significant, about 10K or so. The main thing is, the future potential for career advancement is mindboggling here, and they are a company that brings you along slowly to make sure that you understand everything and will be a very valuable employee. Calculated risk, yes. But, IMO, it's totally worth it and I know I can do it.

bubazoo said:
wow, a software consultant position doesn't have prescription insurance?

I'd definitely go someplace else if I were you, I make less then McDonalds wages, yet I still have prescription insurance, you can do much better then that mate In fact, as low as I get paid, my Remicade infusions are paid 100%, except for the first one at the beginning of the year.. I have to pay $1500 in January (because I have this $500 deductable crap) but otherwise my stuff is paid 100%.. well, prescriptions I have to mail order,
$20 for generic, or $60 for name-brand... but I am on a "generic mandatory" plan, where if there is a generic form of the medication, I have to get it, otherwise I have to pay the difference... in other words, if there is no generic I have to pay $60 every 90 days, otherwise if there is and my doctor makes me use name brand (like he did for imuran at first) I had to pay the difference, which was like $140 every 90 days, which was rather steap, but still I mean at least its something, and I only make like $6 an hour at my job, even McDonalds people get paid more then that these days..

but yeah I'd definitely look somewhere else if I were you.. i am 1 class away from my bachlers in Computer Information Technology, and I know from going on interviews at software companies that most all of them come with benefits better then that I had an interview the other day in fact at a web design company, and they had decient medical insurance, script, 401k, the whole bit
06-08-2006, 02:07 PM   #6
Valentina

Good luck with it! not sure how to answer. lol (things sound a bit different than here)
06-15-2006, 10:40 PM   #7
btcrv

What meds are you on? Is one of them Pentasa -- It was the bank breaker for me? Until I was able to get a job with insurance to cover my meds, I had a discount plan through AAA which reduced the cost at least a little bit. But when you're dealing with big bucks like that, every little bit helps.

That's some crazy math -- $1000 a month is like $12000 per year. That's gotta be a huge percentage of your salary. It almost seems like it would be worth it to bargain $1000-$2000 for a potential savings of $10,000 on your meds...

Just a thought
06-16-2006, 07:17 AM   #8
boneyboy

Well an update here. I didn't end up getting the job. Little bit bummed, but I have way too much other stuff going on right now anyway. Potential house purchase, crohn's probs, debt management, etc. It would have been a HUGE expense and percentage of my salary, no doubt about it. But, now I'll be where I'm at for a little while more. It's not bad here, just not much potential for upward movement. Oh well, status quo is ok sometimes

Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Medical/Script insurance