• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My story, Crohns and Winning a Wedding!

I know this is really cheeky of me but please spare 5 minutes to read my story.

I was told for 2 years I had IBS yet I always knew it was more than that. I saw lots of doctors, one of which decided there was nothing wrong with me and told me that it was my parents fault because I did not force feed me vegetables growing up.

I was officially diagnosed with Crohns disease in Dec 2008 after having my appendix removed. I was in and out of hospital, on and off steroids for my entire 4 years at university. My consultant advised me I was not well enough to continue with my studies. I was training to be a teacher and he told me I wasn't well enough to do placement. Never the less, I ignored him and fought my own ill health to finish my placements and then in July 2011 I graduated from University.

All of this time, I had my fiance Glen with me by my side. We all know what the effects of steroids can have, and it is normally those who are closest to us who get the brunt of our tempers and moods. Me and Glen moved into together February 2012 and we are currently in the process of buying our own house together.
I have just been put back on steroids, this time Budesonide (Entocort) and have been on them for a month, with the intention of being on them for at least another 6 weeks whilst I wait for an MRI Scan before I go back to the consultant in July. Personally I dont think these steroids are working for me, but I'm hoping they are taking their time to get in my system.

I wish we could afford to get married as I want to show him how much I love him. At the moment we are saving for our house.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so glad to hear you've got someone supportive by your side. That really can make such a difference! Have you ever tried out for the Today show wedding? They usually do a wedding each summer. I'm not sure of the details but it might be worth checking into.