Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Ask the Experts » Submit a Question » [Submitted] Remicade, remission

05-31-2013, 07:54 PM   #1
mreyn

My Support Groups:
[Submitted] Remicade, remission

My son is on Remicade infusions every 8 weeks. we were told at first he could never get off of it, then we were told we would revisit the issue in a few years. I have heard of alot of people who are on remicade for years and still need to have surgeries/removals of diseased parts of intestines.

My question is.. does Remicade stop disease progress or just keep symptoms at bay while the intestines are still bad or getting worse? AND when you are in remission , is it ok to get off of Remicade? My son is 12 and we are worried about side effects and long term side effects. Thank you
05-31-2013, 08:59 PM   #2
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
Hi - speaking from my own experience - I have had no surgeries related to Crohns', either before or after starting Remicade....the scopes I have had have been CLEAR - with no active inflammation or disease present.....

30 plus years and counting with UC/Crohn's!
on remicade since 11/05

While my experiences may not be what everyone has had- I feel it is worthwhile to share any and all experiences that may be beneficial to others.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Ask the Experts » Submit a Question » [Submitted] Remicade, remission