Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Cimzia/Certolizumab » Cimzia and the flu or a cold

06-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
kiltubrid

My Support Groups:
Cimzia and the flu or a cold

I took my first loading dose of Cimzia two weeks ago with no problems or ill effects (no good effects either, for that matter). Yesterday I took my second loading dose, and just prior to taking it (a few hours before) I started developing what I thought was a head cold with sore throat, runny eyes and nose and a bad headache. I have also had chills and a low grade fever off and on. This morning I also have body aches and diarrhea, so I think I may have the flu rather than a cold.

I don't think this is related to the Cimzia and is merely coincidental, but am wondering if anyone has had similar experiences, and also what you do to relieve cold/flu symptoms when you are on Cimzia. I hesitate to take any OTC drugs.

As for other Crohns drugs, I take: 150 mg Imuran, .5 Prednisone (I'm at the end of a taper). Cimzia is my first biologic drug.

Thanks, all!
06-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
It's still very early in your treatment so don't be discouraged that you haven't seen results yet. As for the flu like symptoms it can be a coincidence or a reaction to the medication. Just be sure to keep your doctor abreast of how you are doing. They need to monitor you closely, especially in the beginning.
06-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
kiltubrid

My Support Groups:
Update: it did, indeed, turn out to be the flu. I know because my partner caught it from me three days later, just after I started feeling better. And the Cimzia just kicked in as well.
06-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #4
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
The 3 month mark will be a good time to do blood tests and see how much of a difference it's making.
06-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #5
kiltubrid

My Support Groups:
Yeah, I have the blood tests every three months already because I've been on Azathioprine for the last year and a half. I haven't felt any real difference on Aza, but my numbers look better. I feel a definite difference now already on Cimzia.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Cimzia/Certolizumab » Cimzia and the flu or a cold