• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to Crohn's

Hello! I'm a newbie. I was just diagnosed with Crohn's in February of this year. I received the diagnosis after receiving surgery to remove part of my colon. As a result, Ginger, my stoma, became part of my life! If all goes as planned, we plan the reversal surgery on 10/31. I'm keeping my fingers crossed! So needless to say, I'm learning lots about Crohn's and my stoma. It's AMAZING how much better I feel after surgery! This is the really, really short version of my story.

Thank you!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed! Things that used to trigger me before surgery, no longer do, so I'm still in the experimenting phase with food. (And trying to gain wait...I lost tons of weight as a result of my illness).

nogutsnoglory

I'm so happy to hear that the surgery has improved the quality of your life. I like the fact that you named your stoma. Any backstory for calling her ginger or making her a female stoma lol?

LOL! Well, I really struggled with the fact that I had a stoma. In my opinion, it was the worst thing that could ever happen to me...well, I learned that there are WAY worse things that can happen to you...I ended up with Ginger due to a perforated bowel that caused sepsis. I feel lucky to be here right now! Any way, I had to go to rehab, because I was very week (couldn't walk, sit up, roll over). While there, my Ostomy nurse was absolutely fantastic. She new I liked to name things, and she said, lets name your stoma. I had been referring to my stoma as a her all along...When my nurse asked me for a name, Ginger was the first thing that came out of my mouth! My cousin who is a red head, is not found of her name...but it's growing on her!

nogutsnoglory

I think it's great to name it and make the best of the situation. I saw a YouTube video where this girl named her Ileostomy and I think it's therapeutic. I'm not sure why but I would totally name it if I had one.

Since I've had my surgery, I met another woman with Crohn's...She's named her stoma, Sally. For me, it helps me to connect to it. It's also night when I'm with people who know about her, and she needs attention, I can say, that I need to go tend to Ginger, and the rest of the world has no idea what I'm talking about.

That's fantastic that you have a good outlook in a hard situation.
I hope all goes well for you.
My little lady is four and has a g-tube by her belly button. It's a Mini brand.
You've given me the idea of referring to it as her Mini. Make her more comfy with it. THANKS!
Welcome aboard!

Honey

Staff member
Hi there ,
You are an inspiration to us all with your positive way of dealing with a stoma. No doubt you went through a mixture of emotions for some time before! I am glad you are feeling a lot better and wish you all the best for the future. Best wishes.

Honey

Staff member
Hi there,
Just thought I would ask how are you feeling now? I do hope you are doing well. You certainly have a very positive outlook!
Best wishes.:rosette1::bigwave::rosette1:

Hi!

I am continuing to do very well! I just had follow-up appointments with a few of my doctors...my GI is very happy! I'm three lbs away from my target weight! I lost over 40 pounds when I was hospitalized...when in the hospital, I went into left heart failure, and all tests are showing it has reversed!

My Crohns is being managed well. I haven't had any flares (keeping my fingers crossed!) I take Pentasa and Flagyl right now.

The only down side is that my hair fell out :( my GI isn't too concerned. He said he isn't surprised because of how sick I was... It's starting to grow back. Although this is hard to deal with, there are way worse things that could happen.

I feel lucky to have great family and friends, an amazing hubby, and co-workers who are more like family! They watch over me like hawks at work!