06-06-2013, 06:08 PM   #1
emilymarie19

Information on imuran

What should I look out for and expect?! Thank you
06-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Hey emilymarie,

I think the first two things to keep in mind about Imuran is that it will take at least 3 months to become therapeutic so is generally commenced when another treatment is already in place e.g. EN, steroids or a more established treatment like the biologics.

Secondly it is important that you have your blood regularly monitored whilst ever you are taking the drug. Bloods should initially start out as weekly, then move to fortnightly, monthly and finally every 2-3 months.

It can be a helpful predictor of serious side effects if you have a TPMT test done before commencing the drug.

Here is a link to the overview of Imuran:

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=29139

Many people are able to take Imuran with no problems my own children included. They have been on it for 7 years and 2.5 years respectively and both are doing well and in remission.

Good luck! I hope your experience is a positive one!

Dusty. xxx
06-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #3
emilymarie19

Thanks so much!
06-06-2013, 11:48 PM   #4
Jim (POPS)
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
It took almost 5 months for imuran to start working with me.

Jim (POPS)
Vit "C" and Iorn daily
06-07-2013, 01:28 AM   #5
alex_chris

To add a few more tips to the above:

Be sure that your docs eventually puts you on the right dosage (2mg to 2.5mg per kg bodyweight). It's fine to start lower in the first few weeks, but eventually only in this range does imuran really work.

Related to that is that you should review your blood tests yourself, looking out for your white blood cell count. Eventually it should be in the low normal range, idealy between 4-5 (normal range is 4-11). If it's slightly bellw 4 that is also fine, but it should not be significantly below. If you are flaring when you take imurn initially the count may be all over the place and much too high... Just so you know.

Be sure that your doc orders a full blood count and liver test per blood test. It is important to monitor the liver function when taking imuran. To help your liver (that's a general thing, even for those not taking imuran) try to drink 2 liters of liquid per day, preferably water or tea rather than soft drinks. Also, excessive and permanent use of alcohol should be avoided while on imuran.
60cm of smaller intestine removed in 2003
Vitamin therapy with D3, B6, B12, magnesium, zinc, folic acid for years
Iron therapy with Tardyferron 80mgx2 and Loesferron 80mg for years
Yoga, running, freeletics on the sport side!
06-09-2013, 10:12 AM   #6
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Most people have little to no side effects with Imuran. In addition to the link and information above , attached is another link that breaks down potential side effects with regards to severity

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-1398...0&pagenumber=6
Past Meds:
Prednisone/ Entocort / Flagyl
Current Supplements:
B12 Shot (1cc/mo) / Multivitamin / Vitamin D (1000iu) / Calcium (1200mg) / Omega 3 Fish Oil (4800mg)
Additional Info:
Anemia/Borderline Anemia - whole life
Generalized Anxiety Disorder - 2009 (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, mindfulness meditation)

06-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
emilymarie19

Thank so much! I hope this works out for me!