• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Information on imuran

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hey emilymarie,

I think the first two things to keep in mind about Imuran is that it will take at least 3 months to become therapeutic so is generally commenced when another treatment is already in place e.g. EN, steroids or a more established treatment like the biologics.

Secondly it is important that you have your blood regularly monitored whilst ever you are taking the drug. Bloods should initially start out as weekly, then move to fortnightly, monthly and finally every 2-3 months.

It can be a helpful predictor of serious side effects if you have a TPMT test done before commencing the drug.

Here is a link to the overview of Imuran:

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=29139

Many people are able to take Imuran with no problems my own children included. They have been on it for 7 years and 2.5 years respectively and both are doing well and in remission.

Good luck! I hope your experience is a positive one!

Dusty. xxx

To add a few more tips to the above:

Be sure that your docs eventually puts you on the right dosage (2mg to 2.5mg per kg bodyweight). It's fine to start lower in the first few weeks, but eventually only in this range does imuran really work.

Related to that is that you should review your blood tests yourself, looking out for your white blood cell count. Eventually it should be in the low normal range, idealy between 4-5 (normal range is 4-11). If it's slightly bellw 4 that is also fine, but it should not be significantly below. If you are flaring when you take imurn initially the count may be all over the place and much too high... Just so you know.

Be sure that your doc orders a full blood count and liver test per blood test. It is important to monitor the liver function when taking imuran. To help your liver (that's a general thing, even for those not taking imuran) try to drink 2 liters of liquid per day, preferably water or tea rather than soft drinks. Also, excessive and permanent use of alcohol should be avoided while on imuran.