Share Facebook

10-22-2014, 10:42 PM   #271
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Has diversion colitis ever been treated with FMT?
I don't know but I could see that being very beneficial in that circumstance. If they don't already do it, they should try.
10-25-2014, 02:27 PM   #272
wildbill_52280

a scientific revolution and theory of all diseases!!
http://qz.com/283189/how-millennials-will-save-us-all/
10-26-2014, 12:35 PM   #273
wildbill_52280

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-2...hrenia/5841264
11-02-2014, 03:03 PM   #274
wildbill_52280

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTcxYp6BJP4#t=102
11-13-2014, 09:35 PM   #275
wildbill_52280

Just a friendly reminder that the first post of this thread still has alot of good information in it, for those that have never seen it. Although i would love to take time and improve it sometime.
11-14-2014, 02:05 PM   #276
wildbill_52280

Published on Oct 24, 2014
This talk was given at a local TEDx event, produced independently of the TED Conferences. We are more obsessed with cleanliness than ever: we use antibacterial cleansers, we keep our children away from dirt, and we give out antibiotics with little regard for long-term effects. But in the process we are altering our microbiota, the microbes that live on and inside us. And it's causing us to be more sick.

Claire M. Fraser, PhD, is a world-renowned scientist who launched a new field of study – microbial genomics and, through her ground-breaking research and pioneering leadership in this field, has fundamentally changed our understanding of the diversity and evolution of microbial life on Earth. Her collective work over two decades, has made sustained and transformational changes to our understanding of microbial biology.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSRGlbXkJs4#t=983
11-14-2014, 05:44 PM   #277
7vNH

Every person on this forum should go to the "american gut project" and order kit...the more samples of IBD, the better!
11-14-2014, 07:21 PM   #278
rollinstone

My Support Groups:
Every person on this forum should go to the "american gut project" and order kit...the more samples of IBD, the better!
Is that possible for those outside the US?
-Are you looking for a new treatment option for your Crohn's disease? If so, I suggest you look into the ongoing clinical trial by Qu Biologics for their SSI treatment. Click here for more information or to help spread the word.
11-15-2014, 06:39 PM   #279
wildbill_52280

A new study planned for FMT on UC.

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02291523

Last edited by wildbill_52280; 11-16-2014 at 01:08 PM.
11-20-2014, 07:27 PM   #280
7vNH

Is that possible for those outside the US?
Anyone can participate, but the shipping would add some expense for you. If you happen to be in the UK, there's a British Gut Project! Look on FundRazr.com, or google human food project.
11-20-2014, 07:33 PM   #281
7vNH

What is the latest science (or conjecture) concerning pre-FMT antibiotics?

I see that the published document from Dr. Borody had specific types, amounts, and timings, but that document was published a long while back so the thinking may have changed. Any more recent documents that I can read on this topic?

For the readers of this thread...if you were going to get a professional (ie expensive) FMT, would you opt in , or opt out of pre-FMT antibiotics and why?
11-20-2014, 07:35 PM   #282
wildbill_52280

Part of the work highlighted in the paper shows the rapid recovery of a young man with Crohn’s colitis whom Kao is treating. “We gave him fecal transplant and then within a week his symptoms started to improve.” She adds the real shock came at the follow-up colonoscopy four weeks later for another transplant, as the symptoms had disappeared entirely from his bowel. “I was absolutely shocked to see that the inflammation had completely healed. I wasn’t expecting it to look like that.”
http://www.med.ualberta.ca/news/2014...ial-transplant
11-21-2014, 01:13 AM   #283
Crohn2357

My Support Groups:
I suggest looking into healingwell ulcerative colitis forum:
http://www.healingwell.com/community....aspx?f=38&r=x
Lots of personal experiment, some succes stories, lots of topics about FMT. Just use the search button.
11-23-2014, 11:40 AM   #284
7vNH

I suggest looking into healingwell ulcerative colitis forum:
http://www.healingwell.com/community....aspx?f=38&r=x
Lots of personal experiment, some succes stories, lots of topics about FMT. Just use the search button.
A lot of talk over there about biofilms. Back to my question, it sounds like antibiotics (and 5-ASA) make the biofilm less dense, but of course doesn't get rid of it. If the idea of an FMT is to have a new set of gut micribes take hold, it would seem to me that weakening rhe biofilm would be a good idea. So pre-fmt antibiotics would be indicated?
11-23-2014, 01:14 PM   #285
Crohn2357

My Support Groups:
I don't know the answer.
11-24-2014, 10:47 PM   #286
wildbill_52280

Podcast about fecal transplants.

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cul...al-transplants
11-25-2014, 12:14 AM   #287
wildbill_52280

A super long article on Fecal Transplants.
The New Yorker December 1st 2014.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...ent-experiment
11-25-2014, 09:05 AM   #288
7vNH

What is the latest science (or conjecture) concerning pre-FMT antibiotics?
rollinstone, Can you tell me when your last dose of antibiotics were before your first FMT? I had heard 2 or 3 days of no antibiotics before FMT, but I wanted to know what your experience was.
11-25-2014, 09:33 AM   #289
7vNH

A super long article on Fecal Transplants.
The New Yorker December 1st 2014.
Nothing new to us in that article, but I'd say the author did a great job of covering the history and current status, including a good summary of the FDA actions (stool as a drug vs a tissue), and even a bit of speculation of what is to come if big pharma comes up with a cultured C. Diff enema (might force a shutdown of the non-profit OpenBiome).
12-01-2014, 12:09 AM   #290
wildbill_52280

Fecal Transplant may treat diabetes.
http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle...284227581.html
12-01-2014, 05:35 PM   #291
wildbill_52280

An update on my latest fecal transplant experience-

EDIT- I forgot to mention that most of my symptoms were under control before doing the FMT, more precisely I have one bm per day, so most of improvements could not be measured by how much diarrhea I have, so i measured the FMT efficacy by other symptoms

8 weeks ago I attempted to do another fecal transplant. This time instead of trying to make pills, I drank 8 ounces of apple juice mixed with stool so about 1 measured cup. My donor was young and his stool sample was very firm and not an ideal sample to use for a fecal transplant because it likely had very little good bacteria in it. I used the sample anyways because its been so hard to find a donor. His stool was so hard that it barely broke up even in the blender! My health has improved about 15% despite all the imperfections, so i do not regret it.

So my BMs have been healthier looking, they are larger and softer BUT I still have quite a few symptoms of disease so ill have to do it again using a better stool sample. The biggest improvement has been a dramatic increase in weight, I've gained a pound a week since the transplant so 8-9 lbs. I have gained all this weight without increasing my caloric intake, so that demonstrates that it was the fecal transplant and not simply increasing my calories. Now I'm considered to be at a healthy weight. I believe what is happening is that i gained some new bacteria and I'm now extracting more energy from the same amount of food it seems. Studies show that sterilized mice with no gut bacteria require more calories to maintain their weight when compared to mice with gut bacteria. This is a most likely explanation of my experiance with FMT.

My symptoms of anxiety are much lower now and my brain works a little better too, keep in mind I am a severe case and my bodily dysfunction is profound. All in all, I'm so glad i did it , there were only minor side effects that went away after the second week which were a slight increase in mucus and one or two days of really small dry stools and some floating stools from fat malabsorption. I will have to do it again and hope that my next donor will correctly follow the proper diet to give me a healthy sample with a high enough bacteria dose where I might obtain the correct strains that will fix the inflammatory response. I believe the benefits are permanent since the side effects left 6 weeks ago and I'm still reaping the benefits. My next fecal transplant is in about 2 weeks from now ill let you know how that goes. I will be doing the procedure in a similar way by drinking the solution but I'm using saline instead of apple juice . later!

Last edited by wildbill_52280; 12-16-2014 at 01:39 PM.
12-11-2014, 08:00 PM   #292
wildbill_52280

Gut microbiota and Parkinson’s disease: Connection made

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1211081120.htm
12-12-2014, 07:41 AM   #293
Spooky1
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
that's interesting. I'm trying homemade sauerkraut at the moment. I'm hopeful the probiotics in this will help me to replenish the gut flora. It's cheaper and more potent than bought pills, and yogurt.
12-12-2014, 07:54 AM   #294
mf15

By drinking poo there is a possibility that one reason it works is induction of oral
immune tolerance to the bacteria, which may be lost in IBD. Loss of tolerance is an old IBD theory.
Old Mike
12-13-2014, 04:27 AM   #295
Jennifer
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
Are you vaccinated against typhoid fever wildbill_52280? How do you know your donors aren't carriers?

"Persons with typhoid fever carry the bacteria in their bloodstream and intestinal tract. In addition, a small number of persons, called carriers, recover from typhoid fever but continue to carry the bacteria. Both ill persons and carriers shed Salmonella Typhi in their feces (stool)." http://www.cdc.gov/nczved/divisions/...typhoid_fever/
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.
12-15-2014, 06:38 PM   #296
wildbill_52280

Are you vaccinated against typhoid fever wildbill_52280? How do you know your donors aren't carriers?

"Persons with typhoid fever carry the bacteria in their bloodstream and intestinal tract. In addition, a small number of persons, called carriers, recover from typhoid fever but continue to carry the bacteria. Both ill persons and carriers shed Salmonella Typhi in their feces (stool)." http://www.cdc.gov/nczved/divisions/...typhoid_fever/
That is useful to know. I'm generally familiar with my donors though, although it's possible for me to expose myself to risks, I do what i can to make sure they are healthy and cross my fingers. No matter what we do in life some risk is unavoidable. So far so good. One donor has taken extensive blood tests. It was HIV, Hep C and undiagnosed IBD I'm most concerned about. from the link it sounds like they are just advising people to see their doctor as they recover from the illness as they may not have recovered 100% even though they seemed to be recovered, im not sure this means they carry the bacteria forever though its just not that clear from this site alone whether this is the case. I think they are saying to let a doctor run some tests to make sure you are 100% recovered so you do not infect anyone else.

Last edited by wildbill_52280; 12-16-2014 at 01:33 PM.
12-16-2014, 01:54 PM   #297
wildbill_52280

Update on my second Fecal transplant-

2 days ago i drank another mixture of stool and this time i mixed with saline rather then apple juice. I almost threw up this time!! but held it down. zero negative effects so far and nothing positive yet. Unlike the last time i did not have intense intestinal gurgling followed by a bloody bm 3 hours later, this may be from using saline this time instead of apple juice which the high sugar content would have resulted in more diarhea symptoms, in that sense the new method is an improvement. Based on the experiance i have gained from all this if i do this again i will mix stool with distilled water instead, as i think the saline may have inspired the inclination to throw up, rarely do humans encounter such a salty fluid and i did not have any urge to throw up when mixing it with apple juice. The saltiness may have been a problem or the presence of an actual food like apple juice been protective against an urge to throw up.

The donors stool was softer this time, but a little too soft. It's hard to know yet whether this was a good or bad thing, generally speaking though it looked within a normal healthy range to me, based on what I know about what a healthy stool sample should look like so not perfect but not bad either. Ill be back with an update in about a week or so.if you can do what i just did 2x, MAYBE you can call yourself a man, ha.
12-18-2014, 11:28 AM   #298
NothingL

I really appreciate what you are doing wildbill, make sure you don't leave us hanging.

I think drinking the fecal matter is much more effective than having an enema, a lot of the imbalance is also within the small intestine.

You should have much better results than others who had it done through an enema.
12-18-2014, 12:37 PM   #299
wildbill_52280

I really appreciate what you are doing wildbill, make sure you don't leave us hanging.

I think drinking the fecal matter is much more effective than having an enema, a lot of the imbalance is also within the small intestine.

You should have much better results than others who had it done through an enema.
That's what I am hoping for. My biggest concern is having the donor follow the correct diet, its been hard to get them to comply. the variability of bacterial composition in any given stool sample is supposedly pretty high, so with only one chance to get it right, multiple transplants could be more beneficial, even though just one could be enough. The only official reported cured crohn's patient used 3 donors at one time. This way it's like doing it 3x, it really increases the chances of getting the strains you need. If i do fail, i believe it's because of the donors diet. but ill do it again and make sure they understand the importance. its been hard enough just to convince them to help me, let alone follow a strict diet. They now see that im not dead and in fact improved in many ways and therefore i have succeeded in showing them it's generally safe. now perhaps ill get a chance to really understand how this all works.
12-18-2014, 02:51 PM   #300
NothingL

IBD and IBS take YEARS to develop, as a result, fecal therapy has to be very rigorous in order to fix the damage that has been done.

I like to think of it as a workout. If you are obese and out of shape, a single exercise session is not going to do much. You need to exercise routinely and continuously to see any improvements.