• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Guidance and Support Needed

Hi, I am a 44 year old man, daignosed with Crohns this past fall. I need guidance on what to expect, how to proceed and just all around words of wisdom!
So, my MD thought that I had a appendicitis, turned out to be Crohns with an abscess and two fistulas. This was at the time of my initial diagnosis and I did not really have symptoms before this. I did think that I had IBS, and now suspent this was all related. Anyway, I met my GI MD and was started on budesonide and imuran. I have a stricture that responded well to budesonside but once this stopped, my pain returned. I was started on Humira last week and my Imuran was changed from 4 pills daily to 2. I feel horrible!!! Terrible belly pain, joint pain, low grade temp and flu like feeling. I also seem to have mild UTI or prostatitis feelings which I have been told is all related to the inflammation. My MD had mentioned that it may be time to address the stricture with surgery. Truthfully, I am afraid of having surgery but want to move forward with feeling better.
Any words of advice about this progression? Are my symptoms "normal" for starting Humira? How do you deal with a flare?
Thank you!

SarahBear

Welcome to the forum, tkdkak!

Were you ever diagnosed with IBS? How long were you experiencing symptoms that made you think IBS before you were diagnosed with Crohn's?

Personally, I don't have any experience with Humira and I only took 6-MP (Imuran) for about a month, so I'm not much help there. We do have sections for each of these medications in the Treatment forum. You can find the Humira section here and the Imuran section here. :)

Surgery does sound scary, but it's a big help to many. You can read about others' experiences with it in the Surgery section, here. That might help you feel a little better about that option.

Have you noticed that any specific foods seem to aggravate your stomach? I suggest you keep a food journal for a while, documenting the foods you eat and your symptoms, to see if there's any connection. Cutting out foods that cause you problems can make a big difference to your overall health.

You might also want to have your vitamin levels tested. It's very common to be deficient in one or more vitamins and minerals when you have active inflammation in your intestines. Righting any deficiencies can also make a huge difference. :)

:hug: I hope you feel better soon!

I am on Humira and it took about a month to fully feel the affects. Its been a great drug. Healed my fistula and I have a some inflammation but no symptoms. As far as dealing with a flare...I would eat bland foods such as noodles, broth,crackers,eggs,applesauce..Good Luck. I hope the Humira kicks in soon!!!

My thought is to try other drugs before looking at surgery, but of ourselves, I do not know all the details of your case. Definitely worth a second GI opinion.

I started Humira at the end of March and loading doses helped, but am struggling on maintenance. On weekly doses now, but had symptoms return this week after 5 days. I have been warned it can take a while to work.

Any talk of Prednisone for you?