Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Vent Away » My first Crohn's Emergency!!

06-12-2013, 07:06 PM   #1
Sarahnarizona

My Support Groups:
My first Crohn's Emergency!!

My first Crohn's emergency happened at about 0915 this morning. Thank goodness I was on my way in to the doctors office. I think I handled myself well-ish...

I realized the second I put my foot on the ground in the parking lot that I needed to go to the bathroom. I sprang in to action. I did the awkward quick walk thing into the building. Everyone recognizes the quick I gotta go! Don't you dare get in my way walk! Its as universal as crossing your legs but way more effective at solving the problem. In my crazy hurry I accidently flung the door to the doctors office open and it hit the wall. What a grand entrance. I quickly rushed to the window and announced I needed a restroom. I tried really hard to use my best inside voice but by this time I was almost panicked and kicking myself for wearing kaki!! As I did a little "let me in quick" dance the chatty nurse finally opened the door. I sprinted to the restroom closed the door quickly causing a loud woosh and bang followed by the sound of my purse slamming to the floor. I quickly had to play the "why do I ever buy pants with two buttons blame game" but I made it!!! I took a second to gather my thoughts. Glanced at the entire mound of crap that is usually contained in my purse on the bathroom floor and I hear a knock. Yes! I assured everyone I was fine. I was not fine I was mortified, my heart was beating out of my chest, and I was sweating. I don't sweat. In the end this eventful situation led me back into a waiting room full of people. All eyes were on me... I took a very small embarrassed bow, not knowing what else to do, and everyone looked away.
06-12-2013, 09:39 PM   #2
afidz
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I have only had one emergency that I can really remember. And I didn't make it to the bathroom. I was stuck in a parking lot shoveling snow and scraping ice off my car. It was shortly after my diagnosis and I was so embarrassed and disappointed with myself. Looking back, I can't do anything but laugh. Luckily I had a clean pair of pants in my car (I don't remember why, but thankfully I did! )
Glad you made it to the bathroom in time! (But honestly, what a better place for you to burst through the door and demand the bathroom, I'm sure thats not the only time that they have had that happen
Ankilosing Spondylitis
Inflammatory Arthritis

Failed meds:
Humira
Remicade
Asacol HD
Cimzia
Methotrexate
06-14-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Oh dear! I've had that feeling before. Try being in a car on a highway ramp with no nearby exits and only the emergency lane because you are on the part of the highway that is a bridge....I had the sweats/hot flashes, I felt I was going to pass out at one point. The moment I got out of the car it was a quick sprint I to the persons home followed by a bathroom visit that seemed to echo throughout the house...lmao!

Another time I was on the bus home from work and managed to make it to my front door. Unfortunately that's as far as I got....I had an accident as I was fumbling with the keys to get in. Ooops! Hahahaha. I can laugh about it now but its always dreadful when it happens.

Hate that feeling where the closer you get to the bathroom, the more the urgency hits. I try to mentally psych myself out by deep breathing and humming songs hahahahaha!
Past Meds:
Prednisone/ Entocort / Flagyl
Current Supplements:
B12 Shot (1cc/mo) / Multivitamin / Vitamin D (1000iu) / Calcium (1200mg) / Omega 3 Fish Oil (4800mg)
Additional Info:
Anemia/Borderline Anemia - whole life
Generalized Anxiety Disorder - 2009 (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, mindfulness meditation)

06-15-2013, 04:19 AM   #4
Grumbletum

My Support Groups:
Ha! Ha! Your posts make me laugh. The description of the urgency walk is just perfect :-) I once abandoned my basket in the supermarket, bulldozed my way out the shop and drove the 10 minutes to my house so I could use my own toilet. I then had to sit in the car sort of psyching myself up to make the run up the path to the house without letting go, if you know what I mean.

Previous: Prednisolone, Mesren, Omeprazole, Infliximab, Azathioprine
Current: Pentasa, Librax, Warfarin
Helen x
06-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
Sarahnarizona

My Support Groups:
Thanks for sharing Sometimes its just nice to share with someone that gets it!

My mom always says stuff like... Oh no! and I am so sorry. I just wanted someone to laugh with. LOL
07-25-2013, 11:23 PM   #6
DJW
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I'm so glad I'm not alone in this. Shortly after getting my ileostomy (and not knowing the best way to clip the pouch) I was at work. I worked in a big box store. I was talking to a customer when I felt a warm gush down the front of my leg. Bag full - clip came off. I run like he'll to the bathroom and clean up the best I can. Slip out the side door and head home. Then called my boss and said I had a medical emergency to deal with. I would love to have seen the look on my face. You can't write better comedy than that. LOL

Visit Crohn's and Colitis Canada:
http://www.crohnsandcolitis.ca/site/...tis_Canada.htm

Living in Ontario with no drug benefits?

Trillium Drug Program:
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/publi..._trillium.aspx

Dave
07-26-2013, 02:37 AM   #7
Ribo

My Support Groups:
One of the huge adjustments for me has been the ability to use public restrooms. I know that may seem silly, but I used to have an incredible aversion to using a restroom anywhere but my house or hotel room for 'number two' if you will.

Since my issues started, I've learned to get over that quickly. I now just accept that its a necessity and nothing at all t be embarrassed about.

I can totally understand your feelings afterward, but there's nothing to feel bad about. You handled it perfectly!

Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Vent Away » My first Crohn's Emergency!!